• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Become a Lyft driver

Started by Russell Kanning, July 01, 2015, 09:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

I am contemplating becoming a Lyft and possibly an Uber driver.
I would probably do it when we are in Dallas visiting Kat's Mom. But if it works well, I might do it all the time. I can also transfer it to where ever she may move.
I am looking for some help from the Shire folk about opinions regarding these services and which vehicle I should choose to drive around in.
We had ridesharing ideas when we were in Keene and now the idea has hit the big time. I like the idea for many reasons.
Thanks for any help.

Silent_Bob

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 01, 2015, 09:45 PM NHFT
I am contemplating becoming a Lyft and possibly an Uber driver.
I would probably do it when we are in Dallas visiting Kat's Mom. But if it works well, I might do it all the time. I can also transfer it to where ever she may move.
I am looking for some help from the Shire folk about opinions regarding these services and which vehicle I should choose to drive around in.
We had ridesharing ideas when we were in Keene and now the idea has hit the big time. I like the idea for many reasons.
Thanks for any help.

Can't give you an opinion as to Lyft or Uber, as I have no experience with them.

As far as a vehicle, I would suggest a mini-van. They get relatively good gas mileage and are versatile. 

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

yea interesting
I have been investigating what kinds of cars the other drivers use. They mostly don't have minivans, but they have been popular for years with taxis and sorta taxis. :) They make sense for how easy they are to get in and out of.

Tom Sawyer

I saw an anti-Uber ad on broadcast TV recently. They were warning people that they might get raped or killed by a driver. I guess the taxi folks are feeling the pinch.

Russell Kanning

exactly
I might have to order a Tom Sawyer enhanced head shot for my profile in their system.

KBCraig

I've never used either up here in the sticks, but Uber recently made the news by banning all guns (by both drivers and passengers), after a legally armed driver used justified force in shooting to stop an assault. Lyft already had that policy.

Since their biggest advocates tend to also support gun rights, that probably won't work out well.

Free libertarian

I'd like to see more flying cars.  Not sure how economical it would be, but the traffic jam problems could be minimized.

Russell Kanning

I usually weigh the pro-government anti-government balance based on whether the government likes them or fights them ..... or if they would be better off if the government didn't exist. To me, this part of the transportation market is the least pro government. :)

I would guess that you should stay far away from these services if privacy is your concern, since you push a button on an phone, someone finds you, takes you somewhere and then charges your credit card. So not good in that way.

I need to contact Don and Cathleen to see how they liked their hybrid car. Otherwise I am leaning to a 2006 or older VW diesel.