• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anti-Smoking propaganda.

Started by FTL_Ian, January 23, 2006, 11:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

They include some Libertarians' opinions, but it's mostly emotional propaganda.

http://www.nhptv.org/outlook/sprogramdate.asp?prog_num_id=1237  (First third)

My favorite moment is when the sponsor of the smoking ban claims she's not sponsoring nanny state legislation.

moosilauke

I hate NHPTV. It's another useless, state-funded crap program; I think they're somehow associated with UNH. Every show on that channel is a leftist, hand-holding warm fuzzy. The TV station should be sold or eliminated entirely.

If memory serves me, and someone speak up if I'm wrong, people have attempted to pass this bill, or one like it, in the past. Every year, the same kinds of bills crop up: seatbelt law, helmet law, more taxes, etc. They're almost always shot down before they get to the govenor's desk. I'm still following it and sending emails recommending that my legislators vote it down.

This year, there's even a bill proposing a sales tax on SODA. That's right, soda. They have nothing else better to do than think up reasons to keep their jobs.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: moosilauke on January 27, 2006, 06:11 PM NHFT

This year, there's even a bill proposing a sales tax on SODA. That's right, soda. They have nothing else better to do than think up reasons to keep their jobs.

It's a tax on beverages bottles and beverage is not defined in the bill.

Thespis

But, soda is making kids fat.

Think of the children!!!

Won't someone think of the CHILDREN?!?!?

::)

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: patmccotter on January 27, 2006, 06:29 PM NHFT

It's a tax on beverages bottles and beverage is not defined in the bill.

Which means they are also taxing water.  I think that is why the water companies are fighting it.

Pat McCotter

Oops! Yes they are defining it:

HB1737
I. ?Beverage? means all still and carbonated drinks; fruit juices and all beverages compounded therefrom; all bottled waters, whether for medicinal or table use; and all packaged liquids intended for use in the manner of drink. Milk and unmixed products thereof, and fruit juices and waters retailed exclusively by the producer or manufacturer direct, are not included as ?beverages? under this chapter. The term ?beverage? as used in this chapter shall not apply to a beverage as defined in RSA 175:1, VIII.

[ur=http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XIII/175/175-1.htm]RSA 175:1[/url]
VIII. "Beverage" means any beer, wine, similar fermented malt or vinous liquors and fruit juices and any other liquid intended for human consumption as a beverage having an alcoholic content of not less than 1/2 of one percent by volume and not more than 6 percent alcohol by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit and specialty beer as defined in RSA 175:1, LXIV-a.

LXIV-a. "Specialty beer" means any beer as defined in RSA 175:1, VII intended for human consumption as a beverage, having an alcohol content greater than 6 percent but not more than 12 percent by volume at 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pat McCotter

And here is where the bill wants to send the money:

83-G:3 Distribution of Fees. The commissioner shall distribute the fees received as follows:

I. Thirty percent shall be forwarded to the state treasurer for deposit in the trust fund for the land and community heritage investment program established in RSA 227-M:7.

II. Ten percent shall be forwarded to the state treasurer for deposit in the dam maintenance fund established in RSA 482:55.

III. Ten percent shall be appropriated to the department of environmental services for the New Hampshire safe drinking water act, RSA 485, and for water resources and water supply protection programs.

IV. Ten percent shall be appropriated to the department of environmental services for maintenance of in-stream flows under the New Hampshire rivers management and protection program established under RSA 483:2.

V. The remainder shall be turned over to the state treasurer for deposit in the general fund as unrestricted revenue.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: patmccotter on January 28, 2006, 04:01 AM NHFT
And here is where the bill wants to send the money:

83-G:3 Distribution of Fees. The commissioner shall distribute the fees received as follows:

I. Thirty percent shall be forwarded to the state treasurer for deposit in the trust fund for the land and community heritage investment program established in RSA 227-M:7.

i.e. 30% goes to steal property and property rights

QuoteII. Ten percent shall be forwarded to the state treasurer for deposit in the dam maintenance fund established in RSA 482:55.

i.e. another 10% goes to steal property and property rights and other things

This is sick stuff.