• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Mark quitting FTL

Started by Jay, December 22, 2015, 06:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Are libertarians so cheap that they won't support the only real successful cat herding propaganda corporation getting people to move to NH?

Maybe it's because Ian is crazy? Guess what, anyone who ever went against the grain is fucking crazy.

Do they just want to get rid of anyone without at least a Master's degree in celebrity economist blowjob techniques? We can't have anyone who's asshole doesn't pucker up when they hear "civ dis" either.

eglove

I don't listen to FTL, and there're higher quality shows that don't need donations. I know enough to realize that media is cheap. It's a promotional tool and rarely a source for profit. It makes sense to me that they wouldn't make much, it seems they're making exactly what they're worth. You can't depend on one source to fund a free service, and you can't expect to make real money from free services. Nobody is at fault for anything, there is no one to shame. FTL makes exactly what they should and if Mark doesn't like that so be it.

KBCraig

When this "news" exploded all over social media, it took me about ten seconds to figure out that Mark didn't quit: he's on strike, holding out for $5k in AMP donations.

Just like when NPR holds the programming hostage until they get enough donations.

I haven't listened to FTL in years. I don't have time for any podcasts or radio or TV news...I can read in 5 minutes, and analyze for myself, what they spend 30 minutes telling me about, and telling me what I should think about it.

eglove

Quote from: KBCraig on December 22, 2015, 10:44 PM NHFT
When this "news" exploded all over social media, it took me about ten seconds to figure out that Mark didn't quit: he's on strike, holding out for $5k in AMP donations.

Just like when NPR holds the programming hostage until they get enough donations.

I haven't listened to FTL in years. I don't have time for any podcasts or radio or TV news...I can read in 5 minutes, and analyze for myself, what they spend 30 minutes telling me about, and telling me what I should think about it.

Well yeah, that's the strategy. And it works. I just don't think it's realistic to expect to be able to keep up the "quit" gamut, and I don't expect their new donors to last very long.

blackie

Marks begging still has under 400 views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j62SF6iQMOc

Maybe Manwich can come back to FTL. I liked the show better when it was in Florida.

Jay

I like how you folks make excuses for why you don't listen, and therefore your implied excuse to why you don't support the AMP program, as if it was the point of my post.

Mark's rant was all about being disappointed about people not caring enough about the show's mission, which beyond paying the host's salaries is to get people to move to NH for the FSP. I know Mark, this isn't just a stunt. People would rather spend $100 for another dinner with Jeffrey Tucker than support the most successful vehicle for the entire point of the whole project. I can understand why he's crestfallen.

Tom Sawyer

Sorry to hear that Mark feels under appreciated.

Maybe it's FTL, the vehicle, not Mark, a driver.

I don't listen to talk radio. I've been sold on liberty for a long time.

Jay

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on December 23, 2015, 06:16 PM NHFT
Maybe it's FTL, the vehicle, not Mark, a driver.

Good point, radio in all forms is a dying medium. And the audience keeps growing older. So even if FTL was the undisputed ideal vehicle for it in talk radio form, it doesn't have much growth potential in a lot of different ways.

I guess there's always a window open for something new to be tried.

blackie

I was never sold on the idea that AMP money was being put to good use. I remember a long time ago a Talkers magazine ad for $800 a month was discussed. No idea if they still do that. Is the satellite transponder time paid for with AMP money? 

But they are on 150 radio stations, so maybe it was worth it.

The way I am looking at it is that $3000 a month in reoccurring donations is a lot. How much money has the AMP program brought in so far? It is currently 35k a year, and I think AMP has been going on for 10 years. I would guess around 200k or more in donations. Seems weird to complain that isn't good enough.

I think the problem was setting an unrealistic goal of 10k per month.

eglove

Exactly, and I think that's more or less where Ian is at. The expectations for a program like that are way too high and I think Mark is making too big of a deal out of it.

Jim Johnson

All of Mark's feelings are valid.

Russell Kanning

I can see how it makes sense for him to do other stuff. I think he said he can still sell FTLive and do more.
I don't get their show on my XM radio anymore. I don't listen to their podcast.

eglove

"You've got 2 audiences. One isn't an actual audience and they don't even think about your content on a day to day basis. The other only came across your content randomly and kind of dislikes it. Which one should you expect to make money from?"

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: eglove on December 26, 2015, 09:16 PM NHFT
"You've got 2 audiences. One isn't an actual audience and they don't even think about your content on a day to day basis. The other only came across your content randomly and kind of dislikes it. Which one should you expect to make money from?"

I'm confused, who is this quoting?