• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Was there a fire at Peaceful Assembly Church?

Started by Dave Ridley, January 12, 2016, 12:50 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

eglove

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 12, 2016, 04:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: SethCohn on January 12, 2016, 04:44 PM NHFT
RIP John Connell.

Has this been confirmed?

No.

One body, ID has not been released. I'm seeing a lot of jumping to conclusions (even a conspiracy theory about a guy in a mask) already. Settle down and wait, but John is the only one that lived there.

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

It is sad now that we know it was him.
I am trying to figure out if we can get there to be with his family and friends.

Russell Kanning

Are We Careful About Our Deals?
As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. So Jesus told him, "What you are about to do, do quickly." - John 13:27
Judas Made A Deal
I think that Judas Iscariot was definitely wanting a different kink of revolution.
However, since Judas was quite unwilling and unable to do it himself, he made his dirty deal with the earthly powers that be.
Judas though he was using the earthly powers that be. But, let us ask ourselves:
Was Judas blinded to the fact that those earthly powers were using him?
I think he was not.

blackie

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20160119/NEWS07/160119071

Church members will rebuild Grafton church if town lets them

By DAN SEUFERT
Union Leader Correspondent

GRAFTON – The members of the church that burned last week have learned that they will be able to repair the church, and have decided they will do so, if the town allows them to rebuild.

Fire Chief John Babiarz said the building that housed the Peace Assembly Church, which was heavily damaged in a fire last Tuesday, "is repairable," though he had said Tuesday night he wasn't sure it was repairable.

Dave Kopacz, a member of the church, issued a statement to the Union Leader Monday saying the church at which his pastor, John Connell, 57, died will be rebuilt. The church members held a candlelight vigil for their pastor on Monday.

"Although we are all still in shock and mourning the loss of our dear friend John Connell, we are also committed to the church, its parishioners, and the community of Grafton," he said.

"Out of the ashes comes new life. Our team has only been strengthened because of this terrible turn of events and our efforts to rebuild, re-doubled."

Connell, who lived in an apartment on the property, died from smoke inhalation, according to a news release issued by state Fire Marshal J. William Degnan, Babiarz and Grafton Police Chief Russell Poitras on Wednesday.

Connell and the church's board of directors were told on Jan. 6 the town was seizing the property on Feb. 8 over nonpayment of $13,853 in back taxes it owed, going back to when Connell bought the property in 2010.

The fire, reported just before 11 a.m. Tuesday, destroyed the 217-year-old church near the center of town. Fire investigators "have an idea" of the cause of the fire, but, he said, the Fire Marshal's Office would be releasing that information.

The cause of the blaze remains under investigation, and no further information has been released by the Fire Marshal's Office.

On Saturday night, Tom Ploszaj, the chair of the church's board of directors, said that the church has been paying the back taxes on the building, a fact that Selectman Merle Kenyon confirmed on Sunday.

Ploszaj said his board will ask the town for a special meeting to discuss the disposition of the building on Tuesday.

Free libertarian

If Merle buys the church building at a town auction hopefully he will do a better title search than he has in the past on town seized property that he's bought. 

No wait, if he doesn't his fellow select board members will vote to cover the costs of his due diligence error (like they did last time).....never mind....what was I thinking? 

Silent_Bob

Maybe you should put in a warrant article to prevent this. Oh, wait...

Quote from: Free libertarian on January 20, 2016, 08:21 AM NHFT
If Merle buys the church building at a town auction hopefully he will do a better title search than he has in the past on town seized property that he's bought. 

No wait, if he doesn't his fellow select board members will vote to cover the costs of his due diligence error (like they did last time).....never mind....what was I thinking?

Russell Kanning

the idea that a church would have repair costs .... and a big tax bill ..... insanity

Dave Ridley

The sender wanted me to spread this message around.    Email addresses redacted.

> From: Jeremy J. Olson
> Sent: Friday, January 22, 2016 12:57 PM
> Subject: Important "save Peaceful Assembly Church" meeting in Grafton Sunday
>
> Hi,
>
> Could you get word out about this happening in Grafton on Sunday? (See below.)
> The Selectmen are holding a public meeting about "what to do" about the
> Peaceful Assembly Church after the fire and John Connell's death, and the PAC
> Board - including a new group of people PAC has brought on to fund and restore
> the church - need support at this meeting. All the liberty opponents in town
> will be there, the freestater "haters," so our side needs a good show of
> support.
>
> Tom is coordinating this meeting locally, since I'm in Manch, so you can
> contact him for further details about what's going on.
>
> The meeting is 1pm Sunday, Jan 24, at the Grafton Fire Station on Route 4
> (Main St.)
>
> Thanks.
>