• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

This is your chance to excommunicate someone!

Started by Jay, March 12, 2016, 08:52 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on March 15, 2016, 08:36 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on March 14, 2016, 04:52 PM NHFT
The petition is sanctimonious bullshit.

I have named it so.

I like that you used the word "sanctimonious" .  I think it oughta get more use.

So my dangs aren't good enough for you anymore???

Ya "sanctimonious" bastard!

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Jay on March 15, 2016, 09:31 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 14, 2016, 07:51 PM NHFT
Public Relations, advertising, marketing etc. involves understanding public perceptions and tailoring a message that has a positive influence.

AKA crafting your lying to guile people stupid enough to buy your bullshit.

That was one of my complaints about Ian. Not quite lying, but spinning to the point of deception.

But, your point is taken. I worked in the political video post production world in DC. That is one of the reasons I am critical of BS. Libertarians need to be held to a higher standard then our opposition.

Effective communication is important, especially for us on the fringe. We have the burden of convincing a wider audience that we are heading in a viable direction to create a "bright and shining future".

At the peak of the underground's activism I could present Lauren's abuse by the court to family and friends and they were outraged and offered to help. Much of the activism that has happened in Keene since has not been something I could put in a light they would support. It bothers me that the tactic of civil disobedience has been largely discredited. We invested much and took many risks that were pretty much squandered away.

Jay

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 15, 2016, 06:50 PM NHFT
That was one of my complaints about Ian. Not quite lying, but spinning to the point of deception.

I think of it more like Ian has a PhD. in trolling. He's had over a decade of practice on his show on how to get guests riled up over the opinions and beliefs they hold.

QuoteAt the peak of the underground's activism I could present Lauren's abuse by the court to family and friends and they were outraged and offered to help. Much of the activism that has happened in Keene since has not been something I could put in a light they would support. It bothers me that the tactic of civil disobedience has been largely discredited. We invested much and took many risks that were pretty much squandered away.

The shark may have jumped on any kind of Civ Dis because of some kind of general cultural shift regarding the production, delivery, and consumption of news. A generation of youth's too embedded in their iDevices to care much.

I think I said it on here before, it's too easy to want to play dirty mind tricks to get people on our side. Better to find a message that really inspires people. If I figure something out, I'll do it. (lol, like I know what I'm doing...)

Jay

Quote from: MaineShark on March 15, 2016, 05:39 PM NHFT
That said, there are injustices taking place every day, and that seems like a very poor choice of which one to champion.

You're correct, and that's why it's a tiny tiny percentage of the topics discussed on FTL/Free Keene. Perhaps folks just get upset about and remember the prurient matters more easily.

MaineShark

Quote from: Jay on March 15, 2016, 08:22 PM NHFT
Quote from: MaineShark on March 15, 2016, 05:39 PM NHFTThat said, there are injustices taking place every day, and that seems like a very poor choice of which one to champion.
You're correct, and that's why it's a tiny tiny percentage of the topics discussed on FTL/Free Keene. Perhaps folks just get upset about and remember the prurient matters more easily.

Tiny overall, but with three posts almost immediately, from what I can see, that's a relatively-large percentage of the recent posts.  If we look at just Ian's posts for March, there are eleven so far, and three are on this topic.

The public does not have a long attention span.  This is what I mean about communicating.  You're quite correct that, objectively speaking, this is only a small fraction of what's on Free Keene.  But that's not what's communicated to the public, who react subjectively, not objectively.  Subjectively, it appears to John Q. Public that this is all that's being discussed.

Folks absolutely do "get upset about and remember the prurient matters more easily."  You're 100% correct, there.  Anything the public views as prurient will appear several times bigger than other topics.  And when you communicate with the public, you need to recall that and adjust for it, in order to communicate effectively.

I'm certainly not supporting the idea that Ian should be kicked out of the FSP for communicating poorly.  That's ridiculous.  If we're going to start witch-hunting, there are quite a few folks who are far, far more deserving of being removed.  And the invective from a number of folks is nothing approaching reasonable.

But the concerns that some folks (eg, Tom Sawyer) have raised in a reasonable manner are quite legitimate and deserving of consideration.

MaineShark

To use another example, a number of other recent articles on Free Keene deal with HB1525, the "nipple bill."  The supporters of that sexist nonsense ended up looking like the lunatics they are, because the opponents communicated effectively.  If the opponents had decided to start stripping down in the middle of the hearing, the committee members would not have said, "well, that's not illegal, so they have every right to do so."  No, they'd have said, "gee, I was thinking that the supporters were nuts when they said that women would be running around topless in places where men are not likely to be found topless, but I see now that these women don't want to be treated the same as men, at all!"

If they'd voted to pass that nonsense, in-your-face civil disobedience would have been entirely appropriate and would have stood a chance of winning public support.  But if they'd staged a protest against something which wasn't even the law, they'd have shot their cause in the foot.  Instead, they stuck to their points, and the bill was shot down unanimously.

As a result, they are free to exercise their rights, and they have wide public support in doing so, because they kept their message clear and simple enough to be understood.

Jay

I keep hitting a wall in progressing forward, and that involves deshaming sex. Which is a big fuckin' wall.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 15, 2016, 06:36 PM NHFT

I have named it so.

I like that you used the word "sanctimonious" .  I think it oughta get more use.

Hey!   Now my heads gonna be full of  that Roger Miller song that played a lot when we were kids.   "dang me, dang me, take a rope and hang me..." 

MaineShark

Quote from: Jay on March 15, 2016, 10:10 PM NHFTI keep hitting a wall in progressing forward, and that involves deshaming sex. Which is a big fuckin' wall.

Try climbing, looking for a way around, or for a door, perhaps?  If you just keep bashing into the wall, you're likely to end up sore, and the wall is likely to remain unscathed.

And if you find someone adding bricks, locking doors, etc., it might be a good idea to ask him to stop.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on March 15, 2016, 06:36 PM NHFT

I have named it so.

Dang!  My word isn't out there a day people are steal'n the shit.

Jay

Quote from: MaineShark on March 15, 2016, 10:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: Jay on March 15, 2016, 10:10 PM NHFTI keep hitting a wall in progressing forward, and that involves deshaming sex. Which is a big fuckin' wall.

Try climbing, looking for a way around, or for a door, perhaps?  If you just keep bashing into the wall, you're likely to end up sore, and the wall is likely to remain unscathed.

And if you find someone adding bricks, locking doors, etc., it might be a good idea to ask him to stop.

9_9

blackie

Jay

Quote from: blackie on March 16, 2016, 06:29 PM NHFT
What was the Broadcast Agreement?

From what I know, LRN ran FSP radio ads for free and provided live audio broadcast services for Liberty Forum/Porcfest at no charge. The only compensation LRN got for anything was a hotel room provided gratis during those events.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Jay on March 16, 2016, 10:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: blackie on March 16, 2016, 06:29 PM NHFT
What was the Broadcast Agreement?

From what I know, LRN ran FSP radio ads for free and provided live audio broadcast services for Liberty Forum/Porcfest at no charge. The only compensation LRN got for anything was a hotel room provided gratis during those events.

Promotion was probably the best part of the deal.

It is now one less conflict of interest that Ian has. He can run his radio show as he wishes.