• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

my favorite NH movie

Started by Friday, January 27, 2006, 06:26 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

There's "Simon Birch", which is taken from "A Prayer for Owen Meany". The book was set in New Hampshire, but John Irving made them retitle it (he provided the name "Simon Birch"), and they relocated it to Maine, as well.

It's an interesting and rather bizarre movie. I need to read the book.

Kevin

president

CNHT

Quote from: Friday on January 27, 2006, 02:37 PM NHFT
There's a chick flick I like called Baby Boom that might take place in New Hampshire; I'm not sure.

I think it might be situated in Vt. but not sure.

I know one person who I think needs to see "It's a Wonderful Life". I have to keep reminding myself of that too.

Lloyd Danforth

My favorite NH movie is 'The Trouble With Harry'.  I think it is supposed to take place in VT, but, I'm moving it to NH.

AlanM

Hotel New Hampshire by John Irving, starring Robin Williams.

I was in school a year behind John Irving's sister. A unique family. All of them.

Colin Irving, John's father has appeared in most, if not all, of John's movies.

AlanM

Oh, and "Our Town", which was set in Upton's Corners,....oops, I mean Grover's Corners.

Friday

Quote from: AlanM on January 27, 2006, 10:50 PM NHFT
Oh, and "Our Town", which was set in Upton's Corners,....oops, I mean Grover's Corners.

Is there a movie of that? I read the book (script?).  So sad.  :'(

Thespis

Was What About Bob? actually shot in New Hampshire?

What town?

Friday

I don't know if WAB was actually shot in NH; that wasn't really my point. It takes place at Lake Winipausaukee, which is quite large, so it's hard to say which specific town it's supposed to be set in.

Thespis

Oh, I know that wasn't the point, I was just curious.

I might want to visit the location one day, if I can find it.  ;D

Carry on.

AlanM

Quote from: Friday on January 28, 2006, 06:53 AM NHFT

It is an old movie. Can't think of the name of the guy who was the Stage Manager character right now.  ???

KBCraig

Quote from: AlanM on January 28, 2006, 08:58 AM NHFT

It is an old movie. Can't think of the name of the guy who was the Stage Manager character right now.  ???

Frank Craven.

Internet Movie Database is your friend. It's one of the search engines I have added onto Firefox.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032881/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHNvdXJjZWlkPW1vemlsbGEtc2VhcmNofHE9T1VyIHRvd258ZnQ9MXxteD0yMHxsbT01MDB8Y289MXxodG1sPTF8bm09MQ__;fc=1;ft=21;fm=1

AlanM

Quote from: KBCraig on January 28, 2006, 10:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: AlanM on January 28, 2006, 08:58 AM NHFT

Frank Craven.

Internet Movie Database is your friend. It's one of the search engines I have added onto Firefox.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0032881/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHNvdXJjZWlkPW1vemlsbGEtc2VhcmNofHE9T1VyIHRvd258ZnQ9MXxteD0yMHxsbT01MDB8Y289MXxodG1sPTF8bm09MQ__;fc=1;ft=21;fm=1

That's it! Thanks Kevin.
I use to have a VHS copy, but can't find it.  ??? Maybe it will turn up.

cathleeninnh

I love John Irving. Whenever I start lamenting my own dysfunctional family, I read some John Irving. Perks me right up. I think my favorite is A Prayer for Owen Meany. Haven't seen any of the movies.

Cathleen

AlanM

According to the "experts" most, if not all, families are dysfunctional. Families are families, plain and simple. We don't choose them, we are born into them. We still love them, though we may disagree with them.