• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Minn. cop fatally shoots black man during traffic stop, aftermath broadcast on F

Started by Silent_Bob, July 07, 2016, 06:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent_Bob

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/07/minn-cop-fatally-shoots-man-during-traffic-stop-aftermath-broadcast-on-facebook/

A Minnesota traffic stop turned deadly Wednesday evening as a police officer opened fire on a black driver.

The victim, 32-year-old Philando Castile, died at a Minneapolis hospital, a family member told The Washington Post.

The St. Anthony Police Department confirmed the driver's death during a brief press conference Thursday morning; but the department did not identify the officer involved in the shooting or the officer's race.

The bloody aftermath of the confrontation was broadcast live on Facebook by a female passenger in the car.

"He killed my boyfriend," said the woman, whose Facebook page named her as Lavish Reynolds.

As blood soaked through Castile's shirt, Reynolds said on camera that Castile was legally licensed to carry a firearm and was reaching for his identification when the officer opened fire.

"He let the officer know that he had a firearm and he was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm," she said.

Warning: The following video contains graphic language and disturbing images.

Castile moaned and appeared to lose consciousness as the officer could be heard in the background shouting expletives in apparent frustration.

"Mam, keep your hands where they are," he shouted at Reynolds. "I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hands up."

"You told him to get his ID, sir, his driver's license," Reynolds responded. "Oh my god. Please don't tell me he's dead. Please don't tell me my boyfriend just went like that."

The incident took place in Falcon Heights, Minn., a quiet St. Paul suburb that is a few miles from St. Anthony.

It came less than 48 hours after the fatal police shooting of another black man, Alton Sterling, in Baton Rouge, La.

In both cases, cellphone video footage of the incident or its immediate aftermath quickly circulated on social media, fueling anger and protests over the police officers' actions.

From her video, Reynolds appears to have begun recording seconds after her boyfriend was shot, just after 9 p.m. local time. (The footage appears to have been flipped when it was uploaded to social media sites, mistakenly suggesting Castile was the passenger in the car when, in fact, he was the driver.)

Within hours, a crowd gathered at the site of the shooting, according to local television stations.

People are now standing on Larpenteur Ave. They're trying to block the tow truck that has the car pic.twitter.com/nyQRJdymox

— Melissa Colorado (@melissacolorado) July 7, 2016

When authorities removed Castile's car, angry protesters tried to block the tow truck, according to KARE reporter Melissa Colorado.

As vehicle was towed away, the protesters chanted "murderer," reported Fox9's Ted Haller.

Candles were placed at the site where Castile was shot.

Protesters then gathered outside the Minnesota governor's mansion, chanting "Philando Castile."

"Philando Castile" chants outside Governor's Mansion. pic.twitter.com/UMqnIHqiTg

— Ted Haller (@TedHallerFox9) July 7, 2016

Castile's family was stunned by the shooting.

"He's gone," Philando's sister, Allysza Castile, 23, said through tears during a brief interview with The Post early Thursday.

She said her entire family was gathered at the hospital and as of 1 a.m. had yet to be allowed to see Castile.

"They won't let us see him," she said, sobbing. "We've been here probably an hour, the whole family is here, and they won't let us see him."

In the video, Reynolds was seen telling the police that her boyfriend was a "good man" who works for St. Paul Public Schools.

"He doesn't have no record or anything," she said. "He's never been in jail or anything. He's not a gang member or anything."

A website for J. J. Hill Montessori Magnet School lists Phil Castile as its cafeteria supervisor.

Clarence Castile, Philando's uncle, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that his nephew had worked in the school's cafeteria for 12 to 15 years, "cooking for the little kids." He said his nephew was "a good kid" who grew up in St. Paul. Philando Castile's Facebook page says he attended the University of Minnesota.

Philando's mother had "broken down" over the death of her only son, the uncle told the Star Tribune.

Police in St. Anthony, a village outside of Minneapolis, seemed almost as stunned by the shooting as Castile's family.

Sgt. Jon Mangseth, interim chief, said the shooting was the first he could remember in the department's history.

"We haven't had an officer-involved shooting in 30 years or more. I'd have to go back in the history books, to tell you the truth," he said during a press briefing at the crime scene. "It's shocking. It's not something that occurs in this area often."

Mangseth said details of the shooting were still unclear.

"As this unfolds we will release the information as we learn it, and we will address concerns as we are made aware of them," he said, adding he had yet to see the Facebook video, which he had only learned about from members of the media. "As we learn more information we will release that in a press release."

Mangseth said he believed the officer involved in the shooting had "in excess of five years" on the force.

The interim chief did not add any more details during a second press conference early Thursday morning, except to say that the driver had died and that a gun had been recovered from the scene.

The video startled police reform advocates across the nation, who expressed a mixture of frustration and fatigue.

"Philando Castile should be alive today," DeRay Mckesson, a prominent member of the Black Lives Matter movement who worked in nearby Minneapolis, wrote in a text message early Thursday morning.

"I don't know what else to say," Mckesson said of the video. "He should be alive today. He is not alive because a police officer murdered him in cold blood."

Castile is at least the 506th person shot and killed by police so far in 2016, according to a Washington Post database that tracks such shootings.

He is one of 123 black Americans shot and killed by police so far in 2016, according to the database. About 10 percent of the black Americans shot and killed were unarmed at the time of the shooting, while about 61 percent were armed with a gun.

Bystander witnesses aftermath of Philando Castile's shooting Embed  Share Play Video0:41
Philando Castile was shot and killed by a St. Anthony police officer during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights, Minn., on July 6. An onlooker witnessed police officers appearing to perform CPR on Castile after the shooting. (Twitter/Katherine Bleth)
Wednesday's shooting occurred in a middle-class neighborhood of wood-and-stucco homes with generous yards next to the site of the Minnesota State Fair and near the University of Minnesota's agricultural college. A busy intersection nearby is home to restaurants popular in Falcon Heights and the neighboring suburb of Roseville. It's a desired location for home owners because of the close proximity to both Minneapolis and St. Paul.

The video begins in jarring fashion, with Castile covered in blood, staring towards the car ceiling.

"Stay with me," Reynolds pleada.

"We got pulled over for a busted taillight in the back," she explains to the camera as the officer can be seen aiming his handgun at the dying driver.

Reynolds continues to film even as a second officer orders her out of the car.

"Where's my daughter?" Reynolds asks. "You got my daughter?"

An officer can be seen in the distance holding Reynolds's child.

"Face away from me and walk backwards," the second officer orders.

He then tells Reynolds to get on her knees. As her daughter cries in the background, handcuffs can be heard tightening around Reynolds's wrists.

"Why am I being arrested?" she asks.

"Mam, you're just being detained right now until we get this all sorted out, okay?" the second officer responds.

"Wow," Reynolds says as the camera tilts upwards towards the evening sky. "They threw my phone, Facebook."

As an ambulance draws nearer, its siren growing louder and then suddenly stopping, Reynolds grows more frantic.

"Please don't tell me he's gone," she screams. "Please Jesus, no. Please no. Please no, don't let him be gone, Lord."

Someone, possibly the officer who shot Castile, can be heard cussing in the background.

"He was reaching for his license and registration. You told him to get it sir! You told him," Reynolds says. "He tried to tell you he was licensed to carry and he was going to take it off. Please don't tell me boyfriend is gone. He don't deserve this."

The screen goes black.

"Please Lord, you know our rights Lord," Reynolds says, apparently praying.

"You know we are innocent people, Lord. We are innocent people."

At one point, an officer can be heard talking to Reynolds's daughter.

"Can you stand right here, sweetie?" a male officer says.

"I'm gonna get my mommy's purse," the girl says, her face flashing on screen as she picks up her mother's still-recording phone.

"Is that your phone?" the male officer asks.

The video then cuts to Reynolds sitting in the back of a squad car.

"Don't be scared," she tells her daughter, before addressing the camera.

"My daughter just witnessed this," she says. "The police just shot him for no apparent reason, no reason at all."

"It's okay, Mommy," the little girl says, as her mother sobs. "It's okay. I'm right here with you."

"Y'all please pray for us," Reynolds says at the end of the video. "I ask everybody on Facebook, everybody that's watching, everybody that's tuned in, please pray for us."

Jim Johnson

Free libertarian

It appears the cop orchard has more than just a "few bad apples".   

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

exactly
then the next day they will have 4 infobabes talking about how we are not respecting cops enough

Jim Johnson

I just realized that every news agency except Fox threw the police under the bus to protect Hillary.

FOX covered the Senate running the FBI director over the coals for letting Hillary off.... but that was everyone else's second-page story.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 07, 2016, 01:43 PM NHFT
exactly
then the next day they will have 4 infobabes talking about how we are not respecting cops enough

It does appear in our crowd, genuflection has never really caught on.   (smiley emoticon) 

jerryswife

Quote from: Free libertarian on July 08, 2016, 08:42 AM NHFT
It does appear in our crowd, genuflection has never really caught on.   (smiley emoticon)

It's hard on the knees, and we are all getting older...