• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wanting to move to NH

Started by Erroneous_Logic, July 16, 2016, 08:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Erroneous_Logic

Speaking of cults, why does every apartment building that goes for a decently low price look like it's some kind of cult indoctrination compound? wtf are you guys -doing- up there?

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 11, 2016, 04:18 PM NHFT
Speaking of cults, why does every apartment building that goes for a decently low price look like it's some kind of cult indoctrination compound? wtf are you guys -doing- up there?

What you talk'n 'bout, Willis?

Erroneous_Logic

Another question, can someone give a rough, vague, ballpark estimation on the monthly cost for heat, electric, and water in a smallish apartment? Like definitely less than 1000 sq/ft 1-2 bedroom size?

Tom Sawyer

I've always wanted to start a cult... Cult leaders, they get all the chicks.

Erroneous_Logic

Yeah, until the ATF and the FBI come along and set your house on fire.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 11, 2016, 06:07 PM NHFT
Yeah, until the ATF and the FBI come along and set your house on fire.

Of course by then it will be called a compound.  ;D

Free libertarian

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 11, 2016, 04:42 PM NHFT
Another question, can someone give a rough, vague, ballpark estimation on the monthly cost for heat, electric, and water in a smallish apartment? Like definitely less than 1000 sq/ft 1-2 bedroom size?

Heat costs will vary, as some of the apartment buildings are older, with poor insulation and /or windows. 
Second floor apartments over a heated first floor will be cheaper.     Water is usually included in the rent.    Electric for a thrifty person could be as low as $50 or $60.

blackie

Heat is also included with rent in some of the smaller apartments.

blackie

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 11, 2016, 02:36 PM NHFT
And I don't know if I can get a job like that there. I suck at getting jobs. I have never, once, in my entire life, successfully sought out and interviewed for a job. Every position I've ever held has been someone talking to a friend or whatever and giving me a job. I've -tried-, but it never works. I'm really not a people person.
You may want to start applying for jobs where you are, and try to go through the interview process just for practice, even if you don't want the job.

Erroneous_Logic

I am currently tapped out for face to face by my current job. I spend all day sorting people out and dealing with their problems. I go home specifically for the purpose of not dealing with people any more. You may notice that I rarely, if ever, post after 9 pm your time.

WithoutAPaddle

...I suck at getting jobs. I have never, once, in my entire life, successfully sought out and interviewed for a job. Every position I've ever held has been someone talking to a friend or whatever and giving me a job. I've -tried-, but it never works. I'm really not a people person.

If no one sent you, then no one wants you.  That's the way the job market works.

When I graduated from high school, I couldn't find a summer job, so my father sent me to see our barber, who was also the mayor, and he wrote on the back of a card that I needed a job and told me where to bring it.  The manager there gave me the cold shoulder but begrudgingly hired me anyway, though he pissed on me at every opportunity for the next nine weeks.  What he had given me was the last job he had available to give out, and he would probably rather have held it back for making better use of it later.

I flunked out of college that fall and applied at nearly a dozen factories, but never got hired, even though they were all known to be hiring on occasion, so I took a sub-minimum wage job ($1.45 and hour) in a burger joint.  I quit that and went to work as a grunt laborer for a relative.  Then one day, my father ran into someone he knew who worked for the Department of Employment Security AKA, the unemployment office, and she said to have me come by and ask specifically to see her, and when I did, she had a "referral" card made out with my name on it, to be given to the personnel manager at a newly relocated factory that I had never heard of and that hadn't even put out it's name on the old woolen mill building it was occupying.

She wasn't supposed to have given me that card.  It was the overriding objective of the Department of Employment Security to get people off the unemployment compensation rolls, and so whenever they had the means to get people jobs through referrals, that is who they were supposed to give them to.  I didn't realize this at the time, but if I had just walked into that factory and applied for the same job on my own, I wouldn't have gotten it.

There was an episode of All in the Family where Archie is denigrating some employment related protest by a bunch of Blacks, and says, "I didn't need no hundred people marching to get me no job", and Edith, attempting to be supportive, said, "That's right Archie, all you needed was one call from your uncle Louie, the Union shop steward".

I lived in the New Hampshire seacoast region for over three decades and still have lots of friends there, and to this day, I have never heard of a single person ever having been hired at GE in Somersworth by having just walked in the door.  You had to "know someone" to get a job there.   People used to get hired, short term, by Davidson Rubber, but it took luck for the timing of that hire to result in permanent employment.  And for that matter, I never knew of a single person working at Eastern Air Devices, other than the General Manager.

I became unemployed a decade later and remained less than fully employed for a decade and a half.  I worked, but it was part time and self employment.  I bet I sent out a hundred resumes, but I never even got one interview from them.   In the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Boston Sunday Globe used to print a huge help wanted section, and there were always at least a hundred jobs listed for social services workers.  I'm not one, but an unemployed friend of mine was.  He said that there was no point in ever applying for a job as a social services worker unless you had someone on the inside to get you that job because he said that since there were no qualification requirements, beyond a high school diploma, and since lots of people already working there had unemployed friends and acquaintances with high school diplomas, the only reason those classifieds were placed was so that they could say they posted the job before hiring the people they were going to hire all along.

I eventually moved to a major city and found that it only took answering two questions correctly to get a field service job if the company was in distress, those being, 1) do you have a driver's license, and 2) can you start right away?  In fact, I got hired by one company when I called them at about 4:00 PM to arrange an interview the next day, but then they called me back half an hour later and asked if I could go directly to a jobsite that evening, just to get an irate customer of theirs off their back.

I don't know what the magic words are that an IT job candidate can use to move his candidacy above the rest.  I had a dynomite resume for various technical bench and field jobs and I interview exceptionally well, but I might have interviewed too well, making me a threat to employees who interviewed me, or to company principals who feared I would eventually defect and take their customers with me... which I sometimes did.  I'm sure the fact that I was in my 40s when I was interviewing extensively worked to my disfavor.

I'd say your time and effort are best spent sucking up to people and getting them to recommend you. 

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on October 12, 2016, 02:31 PM NHFT
...I suck at getting jobs. I have never, once, in my entire life, successfully sought out and interviewed for a job. Every position I've ever held has been someone talking to a friend or whatever and giving me a job. I've -tried-, but it never works. I'm really not a people person.

I'd say your time and effort are best spent sucking up to people and getting them to recommend you. 

You are correct. that is the best way to get a job. And, unfortunately, it is one of the things in life that I am absolute shit at. I see so much bullshit and lies and misinformation all over the place, every day, everywhere I look, and I just can't maintain a facade of more of that nonsense for any appreciable period of time. Like, longer than fifteen minutes. If I try, it just stresses me out and I stop getting sleep and eventually my work starts to fall apart.

I just recently got moved from a location where I was the only available IT guy for all of the users at that location to another one where I have much less face to face interaction and much more phone time, because they were getting complaints that I wasn't a good job. Which were bullshit. I was doing an incredible job holding together the IT infrastructure of that place when they were so desperately trying to tear it down in their ignorance and desire to 'improve' their workflow.
You can survive in the IT world on sheer competence, but you probably won't have the nicest job and people won't like you. And I got this job because I went to college with the guy who hired me. Pretty sure I didn't go to college with anyone hiring in NH :P

Tom Sawyer

You don't have to be deceptive and sucking up maybe isn't the right term either.

Personable involves empathy and the ability to understand another's perspective. You just have to refrain from stepping all over what the other person finds important and going at it from that angle. You can sell without lying.

IT is a service. If the people don't like the "service" you give it doesn't matter how right you are.

I am an opinionated person, but when I have control of myself, I can chose the approach that works with the other person. Communication involves the sender understanding the way the receiver will perceive the communication.

I don't have the answer to how you can find a job on this end of things. If you can find the opportunity to make yourself valuable, that is what makes people want to be involved with you. I worked for nothing and even had to spend money to get into video post production. But, once I found the good opportunity I made myself valuable and before long it was like they almost couldn't live without me.

My only advice to you personally is that the world often gives back what you project. A positive, happy or cheerful demeanor makes the world around you more like that. Angry, negative etc. means that every dickhead in the world is likely to stick to you. I know this from personal experience. I had to flee the Megapolis and then I had to change my internal landscape as well. Mostly I'm better.  ;D

blackie

I got a job in NH when I was living in CT. It was all based on the resume and the interviews. The interviews were with three different people. I had the specialized skill set they were looking for, and was able to interview well with all three people.

Lots of employers do credit checks, so having a good credit score can help too.

I had to be deceptive on the drug test part in order to get jobs.

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 12, 2016, 03:52 PM NHFT
You don't have to be deceptive and sucking up maybe isn't the right term either.

Personable involves empathy and the ability to understand another's perspective. You just have to refrain from stepping all over what the other person finds important and going at it from that angle. You can sell without lying.

Sure, except I need it two ways. I understand people's perspectives. I disagree with them but hey, I don't require you to agree with me. The -problem- is that lots and lots of people -do- require you to at least -pretend- to agree with -them-.

IT is a service. If the people don't like the "service" you give it doesn't matter how right you are.

Yup. Thing is, though, I didn't work for them. I worked for the territorial IT department, according to their rules and technical specifications. it's not -my- fault these guys decided to get some shitty low end software that isn't compatible with anything and is always breaking. You have to remember, I wasn't -dedicated- to this location, I was just the onhand guy in case someone needed to slap a computer. I was the only one available for them to rub eyeballs with, not the only one available to help them with many problems. But I was -also- one of the 40 support guys supporting over 5000 -other- users. Sometimes I wasn't available to personally restart their computer for them, and they got butthurt about that. Anyway, I know I have personal flaws. everyone does. Mine just happen to be in the realm of not being able to comfortably say 'eh whatever you say man'.

I am an opinionated person, but when I have control of myself, I can chose the approach that works with the other person. Communication involves the sender understanding the way the receiver will perceive the communication.

Also yes I've been told this a thousand times. I don't know how to do that. I can't read your mind, I have no idea how you'll perceive my words. That's why we have dictionaries, so that we can all have a mutual frame of reference when we talk.

I can find a job or whatever, if I really try. The trick is mostly to just overcome my mental obstacles, which I'm slowly doing. Introspection is hard.

Quote from: blackie on October 12, 2016, 04:05 PM NHFT
I got a job in NH when I was living in CT. It was all based on the resume and the interviews. The interviews were with three different people. I had the specialized skill set they were looking for, and was able to interview well with all three people.

Lots of employers do credit checks, so having a good credit score can help too.

I had to be deceptive on the drug test part in order to get jobs.

Yeah. One of my biggest hurdles is the massive distance factor involved here. If all I had to do was spend $15 in gas and take a week off of work and just go check out the world 100 miles north of me, honestly, I'd probably already live there :P