• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wanting to move to NH

Started by Erroneous_Logic, July 16, 2016, 08:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Russell Kanning on July 28, 2016, 10:02 AM NHFT
so you are in arizona?
Yes. I very much want to not be. I hate hot weather, and I like green leafy plants.

Russell Kanning

Erroneous_Logic

If it were easy, I'd be there already. My escape fund keeps taking hits from car issues. I'm on my third car in two years.

Erroneous_Logic

Ok listen, will someone put me up until I get a job?

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 10, 2016, 03:51 PM NHFT

What kind of job are you looking to get?

Russell Kanning

there are some places that are not very expensive that you could move to at first. So you won't have to build up as much money to move.
You might be able to get a job beforehand also :)

KBCraig

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on July 28, 2016, 05:50 PM NHFT
If it were easy, I'd be there already. My escape fund keeps taking hits from car issues. I'm on my third car in two years.
Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 10, 2016, 03:51 PM NHFT

What do you imagine that you will find in NH to help cure your current condition, that doesn't exist elsewhere -- including where you are right now?

The FSP and the greater NH liberty community aren't charities, and they aren't communes. While the people are extremely charitable and some of them engage in intentional communities, none are really interested in in giving someone a free bed with no evidence that the mover will obtain a job quickly -- and being without reliable transportation seriously limits your job opportunities in NH.

Too many generous people have been burned over the years by desperate movers who insisted they only need a place to stay until they get on their feet.

You cannot escape the problems that left you where you are, by pretending the same problems won't exist once you're in NH.

Russell Kanning

yea we had only good experiences with guys that moved and we rented rooms to them inexpensively, but they didn't come free :)
Everyone that I knew that came to NH needing a job, got one. But I would try to set one up ahead of time, plus you can visit while interviewing.

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 10, 2016, 07:09 PM NHFT
What kind of job are you looking to get?
I'm looking for a very specific position in the field of exchanging my time/effort/labor for something that I value, money, preferably. But truthfully, just something that doesn't involve. . .well. hmm. I mean, I'm ok with outdoor work. I just hate it here, because it's too damn hot. I've got construction/masonry xp and I work in IT support currently. I have a soothing and patient phone voice.

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 10, 2016, 08:25 PM NHFT
there are some places that are not very expensive that you could move to at first. So you won't have to build up as much money to move.
You might be able to get a job beforehand also :)
How expensive is not very expensive?

Quote from: KBCraig on October 11, 2016, 01:23 AM NHFT
What do you imagine that you will find in NH to help cure your current condition, that doesn't exist elsewhere -- including where you are right now?

The FSP and the greater NH liberty community aren't charities, and they aren't communes. While the people are extremely charitable and some of them engage in intentional communities, none are really interested in in giving someone a free bed with no evidence that the mover will obtain a job quickly -- and being without reliable transportation seriously limits your job opportunities in NH.

Too many generous people have been burned over the years by desperate movers who insisted they only need a place to stay until they get on their feet.

You cannot escape the problems that left you where you are, by pretending the same problems won't exist once you're in NH.
I mean, my problems are all mostly related to weather and climate. I don't go outside, because it's miserable in the summer, and the summer lasts about six months here. Once you get into the habit of never going anywhere, you kind of have trouble breaking it. I would go out and get some nature type fun, even by myself, but, I mean. It's rocks, dirt, and cactus. I know that arizona is supposedly listed high in the freedom indexes, but it really blew my mind when I found out that Adam K. was buying land out here to become self sufficient. I'm really curious about where he's going to get water to water gardens and stuff.
And beyond "problem x doesn't exist in NH", there are all the nice things, like seriously, it's beautiful. I have yet to see a picture of new hampshire that says to me that it's anything other than lovely and amazing. The towns/cities are smaller, but not too far scattered from each other, but also not jammed in next to each other. Plus, maple syrup. I know it's not what NH is known for, but it's there, and also all the places around NH as well.

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 11, 2016, 07:57 AM NHFT
yea we had only good experiences with guys that moved and we rented rooms to them inexpensively, but they didn't come free :)
Everyone that I knew that came to NH needing a job, got one. But I would try to set one up ahead of time, plus you can visit while interviewing.

Dude, I'd be there every weekend if I had money to just drop on plane tickets. You -do- realize I'm 2600 miles away, right?

Erroneous_Logic

Mostly, I just lack information, I guess, and have very little faith in the numbers I get from my craigslist sources. :P

Russell Kanning

for cheap starting places you can look at http://porcmanor.com/search/

can you do your IT support job anywhere, or can you get a job like that here?

Erroneous_Logic

Yeah, I've looked there. It's pretty bare, actually. I only see one listing, in any category, and it's for 1200 a month.

And no, my current job has physical components. I'm part of an internal IT department, and I'm occasionally expected to go slap someone's computer until it does what it's told.

And I don't know if I can get a job like that there. I suck at getting jobs. I have never, once, in my entire life, successfully sought out and interviewed for a job. Every position I've ever held has been someone talking to a friend or whatever and giving me a job. I've -tried-, but it never works. I'm really not a people person.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 11, 2016, 02:06 PM NHFT
for cheap starting places you can look at http://porcmanor.com/search/

can you do your IT support job anywhere, or can you get a job like that here?

Looks like the website is in the process of being revamped.

Tom Sawyer

Check into temp service and/or day labor. Could be a foot it the door somewhere.

Erroneous_Logic

I dunno. I heard that placement agencies are really just recruiting tools for cults.