• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wanting to move to NH

Started by Erroneous_Logic, July 16, 2016, 08:28 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 11, 2016, 07:57 AM NHFT
yea we had only good experiences with guys that moved and we rented rooms to them inexpensively, but they didn't come free :)
Everyone that I knew that came to NH needing a job, got one. But I would try to set one up ahead of time, plus you can visit while interviewing.

Byyyyy the way, who is 'we', where are these rented rooms, and how much is not coming free?

K neth

Hi EL,

You could have sold everything and got on a bus to NH at the beginning of summer, prepared to spend a few nights out of doors, but hoping to quickly find a couch for an ounce silver a night, then grabbed a shared room in a big house and took whatever shit job was within walking distance.   But you won't get those cheap places without someone talking to you and looking you in the eye first.  And it's fast getting pretty cold to risk those nights out of doors.

Since it's mid October, and Christmas retailers are all desperate, you could a get a job at some big box that is both in NH and Arizona.  I see Target has 3 in Pheonix and 2 in Manchester.  Stocking shelves at midnight doesn't have much of that dealing with people crap you hate.  Trim your expenses to the bone. Find a roommate. Get rid of your car and walk to work.  By spring, you could transfer to a NH Target and get on that bus.

If you're trying to save money while living alone in a nice apartment and keeping an old car in good shape, until you can make that move to NH with a nice apartment all to yourself waiting for you, a car still in good shape, and a great no dealing with people crap kinda job lined up, I don't ever see that happening.

You should know that it seems half the guys moving to NH are programmers or IT like you and me, so you've got a lot of competition for those jobs.  Someone in the freedom movement might do well starting a tech company that could hire some of the many guys like you.  But starting a company and becoming an employer is probably too much dealing with people crap for you, it would be for me.

Hope you make it!

Erroneous_Logic

I don't have much to sell worth more than the trip to the goodwill store to drop it off, other than my car which I might get a few hundred bucks for. As far as jobs, I keep feeling better about it as time goes on. I'm not solely restricted to IT work, I've got some construction xp, and I can do masonry, which usually pays decently. I've worked some numbers, as best as I can make them up, and I know how much money I need to have. I'm largely hampered by my own inertia, which I'm slowly overcoming.

Mostly, I just need information. I don't like to do big massive life changes unless I have some kind of plan, or at least a vague strategy based on some known info. Especially, as you said, when it's getting cold out. :P

Oh, and I stopped trying to keep the old car in good shape awhile ago. it's officially declared a junker, and I'm just keeping it together while I work a deal with my mechanic for a decent machine he just got in trade.

Tom Sawyer

Mine was completely unsolicited and off the cuff commenting.

Lately I've been calling myself a subjectivist. Because much of the interactions in life are subjective. I've really noticed this fact when viewing footage I shot, later when I'm not as emotional connected, I can see that the situation was slightly different than the way it felt at the time. Everyone is experiencing things through a filter that distorts the perception. It's often easier to see this in others behavior than your own.

One trait I've noticed among a percentage of self identified libertarians is the inability to understand this subjective element. It's more comforting to seek a world of perfection with hard and fast, easily defined parameters. Life is much more chaotic and full of shades of gray. I think the trick is to become more comfortable with that and find the beauty in it.

I can from now on be known as Dr. Tom.  ;D Now if Oprah can give me my start I can have a huge ass yacht like Dr. Phil!   ;D

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 12, 2016, 04:57 PM NHFT
I don't have much to sell worth more than the trip to the goodwill store to drop it off, other than my car which I might get a few hundred bucks for. As far as jobs, I keep feeling better about it as time goes on. I'm not solely restricted to IT work, I've got some construction xp, and I can do masonry, which usually pays decently. I've worked some numbers, as best as I can make them up, and I know how much money I need to have. I'm largely hampered by my own inertia, which I'm slowly overcoming.

Mostly, I just need information. I don't like to do big massive life changes unless I have some kind of plan, or at least a vague strategy based on some known info. Especially, as you said, when it's getting cold out. :P

Oh, and I stopped trying to keep the old car in good shape awhile ago. it's officially declared a junker, and I'm just keeping it together while I work a deal with my mechanic for a decent machine he just got in trade.

Manchester would probably be a good place to look. Largest Free Stater presence. Lots of economic activity there as well.

Erroneous_Logic

And a wide range of prices for renters. It's weird, some of the lowest prices I find are right in the middle of the busiest most populated place in the state. You're all cultists, I tell you. It's the only explanation!

blackie

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 12, 2016, 05:11 PM NHFT
It's weird, some of the lowest prices I find are right in the middle of the busiest most populated place in the state.
It's called the ghetto.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 12, 2016, 05:11 PM NHFT
And a wide range of prices for renters. It's weird, some of the lowest prices I find are right in the middle of the busiest most populated place in the state. You're all cultists, I tell you. It's the only explanation!

You can sell the movements books at the airport.  ;D

Manchester is a mixed bag. But, it doesn't seem as rough as a lot of the cities I've been in. The downtown corridor on Elm is gentrifying. Becoming kind of hip. Murphy's Tap Room started by a Free Stater seemed to be ahead of the curve choosing that area. Now there are other bars popping up around there.

Erroneous_Logic

If that's a ghetto, I'd like to know where people are getting those lovely pictures of adorable neighborhoods that they're posting :P

KBCraig

Russell Kanning

you will also find that in the bad neighborhoods is Phoenix

btw the last time we had somebody move who had nothing but complaints about their last state and plenty of worries about NH ... we wished we had never met that person

follow Kneths advice ... he has seen guys like you make or break it

if you want a job by word of mouth ...... someone has to like you first (and at this point it ain't lookin good)

when we rented rooms out cheap (not happening now) we always knew the person ahead of time ... that is why it always worked out well. :)

Russell Kanning

my plan was to move to Manchester from CA
saved up money for rent for 6 months .... moved by Southwest Airlines, hardly and possessions, no car
just show up at the accounting temping agencies and off we go

instead met Kat and did all the same thing except in Keene
no car, bags and a box, hit the temp agencies .... and found work

later met libertaria bob ... lived off the land, watched graffy and never worked again oop
now I am stuck outside the Shire .... but will find my way back :)

Free libertarian

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on October 12, 2016, 12:40 PM NHFT
I am currently tapped out for face to face by my current job. I spend all day sorting people out and dealing with their problems. I go home specifically for the purpose of not dealing with people any more. You may notice that I rarely, if ever, post after 9 pm your time.

When you give yourself permission to move, that's when you'll do it. 

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 13, 2016, 07:50 AM NHFT
you will also find that in the bad neighborhoods is Phoenix

lol I -live- in the bad neighborhoods :P

btw the last time we had somebody move who had nothing but complaints about their last state and plenty of worries about NH ... we wished we had never met that person

I don't have worries about NH. NH looks like a dream to me. My worries center around my own issues that I've always had that hinder me no matter -where- I am.[/quote]

follow Kneths advice ... he has seen guys like you make or break it

I try to do that stuff. I spend very little other than bills, food, and gas. I eat a lot of beans and rice.

if you want a job by word of mouth ...... someone has to like you first (and at this point it ain't lookin good)

when we rented rooms out cheap (not happening now) we always knew the person ahead of time ... that is why it always worked out well. :)

Yeah. I know people tend not to like me. That's my biggest concern, because I know the best way to make big changes like this is to have a supporting network of people who at least don't find you more than mildly annoying.

Erroneous_Logic

So, fun times, got laid off, got a nice severence package, got my apartment cleared out and such, sorted out some temporary housing, and wondering if there's anyone planning on going to somaliafest and porcfest that might be willing to pick someone up and drag them along for a few weeks :D