• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Trump's meddling may give us another decade or two of "stability" while the world falls down around us.

Erroneous_Logic

My issue with people who point to the 'good' things that Trump has and proposes to do, and yes, some of the things he does have an immediate beneficial effect, but the thing is, people either forget, or don't realize that what's happening is, essentially, a changing of the guard. Not a changing of the system or the ideas. Simply a changing of the status quo of who's in charge.
Yes, Trump is, to a very large extent, engaging in a coup de etat against the old crowd of politicians, ousting them from their comfortable positions, threatening the money of their followers and clients, etc.
The trick is to realize that he's NOT doing this because he rejects that system. He's doing this because he IS draining the swamp, just not the swamp that everyone THOUGHT he was going to drain, and not for the REASONS they thought he was going to do it.
He's removing his most dangerous opposition, disarming them, curtailing their political and economic power. And one of the weapons he's utilizing for that purpose is popular support. He's playing the mob and using them as a power base to oppose the entrenched politics that are arrayed against him.

I see no reason not to believe that, once he's comfortable in his new position, comfortable with the diminished state of his opponents in government, and confident in his control and power of the political system, he will, as has happened in pretty much every recorded instance in history where one 'revolutionary' government has supplanted an older one, he will simply resume the old status quo under a new banner.

But people are always very eager to tell me I'm simply a pessimist, so who knows. Maybe I'm just wrong.

Tom Sawyer

Junior Varsity Populist/Fascist

Happy to have Hillary not in office. But wondering how much of Trumps stuff is rhetoric to feed his base.

The up side of the election is the media took a licking and the two parties as well. Interesting times.

Erroneous_Logic

There are downsides and possible upsides to it, I just get twitchy when people start defending trump against the left. That's how you accidentally trick yourself into being a republican.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on January 30, 2017, 12:55 PM NHFT
There are downsides and possible upsides to it, I just get twitchy when people start defending trump against the left. That's how you accidentally trick yourself into being a republican.

Good point, but for me anyway, Free republican doesn't have nearly the panache as Free libertarian.  I'm very attached to my panache.

Erroneous_Logic

Panache? Is that like a kind of pancake?

Free libertarian

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on January 30, 2017, 02:17 PM NHFT

I have low attachment to pancakes and besides I don't know how to say "pancake" in French. 

Where's Maine Shark when you need him ?   

Tom Sawyer

I'll have the Lingonberry pancakes

Jim Johnson

.....you and your nine toed girlfriend.

Tom Sawyer

Although they are more your countrymen than mine.  ;D

Jim Johnson

So vat.... Vee ggreally doon't kaa.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 30, 2017, 11:01 AM NHFT

Happy to have Hillary not in office. But wondering how much of Trumps stuff is rhetoric to feed his base.

I'm not happy that Trump is in office, but I'm thrilled that Hillary is not. While his impulsiveness might accidentally start a war, Hillary had every intention of starting more wars.

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on January 30, 2017, 02:17 PM NHFT

Naw, Panache makes bread and has restaurants.

Quote from: Free libertarian on January 30, 2017, 04:43 PM NHFT

Where's Maine Shark when you need him ?   

On Facebook. He broke down and joined the dark side. ;)

Tom Sawyer

Becky inspired this one...

Memes Away!  ;D

Russell Kanning

so true
at the lunch counter there are always plenty of trump supporters watching fox news
I have to make sure I say I want to throw all the bums out

solar power bob has more panache in his little finger than obama in his entire strangly shaped head

Tom Sawyer

Instead of watching the idiots that want to be our overlords, I like watching the amazingly beautiful things humans are capable of...

Van Gogh on Dark Water
https://youtu.be/4dKy7HNU4vk
Starry night ink on wate: Ebru art water marbling