• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

The libertarian movement often seems to be made up of a lot of Chicken Littles.

I had a friend that has a long time involvement with the movement and he helped me to be less pessimistic by telling me "... I see a bright and shining future." He then laid out all the positive progress he has seen and showed future likely scenarios . I appreciate him helping break me from the "death cult" of doom view.

Here is a place to count some blessings.

Tom Sawyer

Erroneous_Logic

I'm pretty sure the sky is falling. While, on the plus side, we're definitely not getting another clinton presidency, we -are- going to end up, most likely, with a trump presidency, all the while the economy is getting ready to take a massive dump of historical proportions.

Tom Sawyer

Looking at the small bumps up and down on the curve is not a good indicator of the bigger trends.

My friend pointed out in the late 60s they couldn't gather 10 "libertarians" in one place. Sorry you're not happy in the desert. But, unlike the past there are more options... make it happen.   :)

Erroneous_Logic

I would love to make it happen. Pretty sure my best case scenario is going to involve driving 2600 miles through a region suffering from the biggest economic struggle in recorded history since the collapse of the british empire. Much fun.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on September 15, 2016, 12:53 PM NHFT
I would love to make it happen. Pretty sure my best case scenario is going to involve driving 2600 miles through a region suffering from the biggest economic struggle in recorded history since the collapse of the british empire. Much fun.

Indians aren't going to attack you.  ;D You aren't going to be walking beside your wagon.

As to the economic conditions...
Like my buddy Johnson says "I'm not worried till I see the skinny people."

We are freer in many ways than when when we freer. Back in the day we would not be having this conversation. You couldn't use bit coin to buy pot online. The list goes on.

It is a product of the folks selling others on how bad things are, that they are , but we do too much of the "Oh no! Another abuse by the gooberment."

As to the Presidential political circus...
I say good. The republican party is imploding and the democrats aren't far behind. Whoever "wins" the election is going to face a lot of bickering and gridlock.

It's got to get bad to get better.

Nature doesn't create straight lines, lots of curves and unexpecteds ahead. Some will be bad, but like the Berlin Wall coming down, marijuana being legalized some are good. In the long run it won't be the Orwellian "a boot stomping on a human face for ever."

Erroneous_Logic

I'm not worried about indians attacking me in my covered wagon, I'm worried about cash strapped cops attacking me in my busted ass taurus right before the engine falls out in the middle of nowhere.

And as far as the economic conditions and skinny people. . .

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/09/new-survey-shows-teen-girls-are-trading-sex-work-for-food.html

And as for the presidential thing, yeah, I'm not worried too much about it, beyond the standard "oh we're getting a new one who's going to be just as bad as the last one" sense. But that's not really a -good- thing, ya know

Jim Johnson

Erroneous_Logic

Not the sex work. the idea that more and more of them are doing it for -food-. not for money to buy food. Just for -food-. that's new.
Anyway, we have different perspectives, and we probably aren't going to back and forth each other out of them. So let's just say, wait until the end of the month :P

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on September 15, 2016, 02:14 PM NHFT
Not the sex work. the idea that more and more of them are doing it for -food-. not for money to buy food. Just for -food-. that's new.
Anyway, we have different perspectives, and we probably aren't going to back and forth each other out of them. So let's just say, wait until the end of the month :P

If I do wait until the end of the month, what happens at the end of next month?

Tom Sawyer

The highway robbers are a threat. The fact that you are aware is one step closer to safe.

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 15, 2016, 03:27 PM NHFT
The highway robbers are a threat. The fact that you are aware is one step closer to safe.

Being aware that a bullet is traveling towards you at over 2000 feet per second does not help you stop it from popping your head.

Quote from: Jim Johnson on September 15, 2016, 03:25 PM NHFT
If I do wait until the end of the month, what happens at the end of next month?

The end of this month will be quite unmemorable. Good news, at that point, we'll be close to the fed no longer mattering.

I have all of this from a very reliable Time Monk whom I trust very much

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on September 15, 2016, 03:50 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 15, 2016, 03:27 PM NHFT

Being aware that a bullet is traveling towards you at over 2000 feet per second does not help you stop it from popping your head.

Not knowing that someone might shoot at you is worse than knowing there is a threat and figuring out your best strategy for limiting the threat.

I've driven over 300,000 miles without a license. I am well aware of the threats.  :)

Daytime travel, pick a holiday weekend. Odds are in your favor.

Erroneous_Logic

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on September 15, 2016, 04:21 PM NHFT
Not knowing that someone might shoot at you is worse than knowing there is a threat and figuring out your best strategy for limiting the threat.

I've driven over 300,000 miles without a license. I am well aware of the threats.  :)

Daytime travel, pick a holiday weekend. Odds are in your favor.

Be careful with that advice. Make sure you mention to avoid the popular drinking holidays like new years and 4th of july.

Tom Sawyer

Not worried about sobriety checkpoints during daylight hours on the interstate.  :)

Of course the border patrol checkpoints in your area suck. We even have that up towards the Canadian border. I have my secret route to miss it. Get to cross a covered bridge and take in the scenery.

This is the Polly Anna, upbeat, there is always a way thread. Lots of people have gone through a lot worse situations then we have to deal with. They should give us courage to face the smaller threats we deal with.