• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Erroneous_Logic

Nah. I'm putting my money into bitcoin and beans and new car funds.

And the treasuries thing right now might be mildly related to the two idiots being idiotic at each other, one being in favor of continuing the current fed policy(treasuries go up) and the other being in favor of some mystical policy that causes rates to both go down and up at the same time(treasuries instantaneously blip into an alternate dimension and start breeding with mutant rabbits), but when the saudi's start dumping treasuries in retribution for being sued over 9/11, that's what's going to really tip the boat over.

Jim Johnson

The United States is the Saudis biggest benefactor. Their selling off US Treasuries would be shooting themselves. They'll have to suck it up like anyone else caught in the US "Justice System".

Erroneous_Logic

lol. no they don't. they have half of the middle east at their back, and the u.s. is starting to become more and more obvious about their ability to kick ass on the other side of the world as long as you're not a rich country with actual military power. Plus, even odds that russia backs them just to poke us in the eye. And even if we -did- glass parking lot the entire place, it would be too late, cause the economic damage would be done already.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on September 28, 2016, 11:29 PM NHFT
lol. no they don't. they have half of the middle east at their back, and the u.s. is starting to become more and more obvious about their ability to kick ass on the other side of the world as long as you're not a rich country with actual military power. Plus, even odds that russia backs them just to poke us in the eye. And even if we -did- glass parking lot the entire place, it would be too late, cause the economic damage would be done already.

Not being critical of you here, but when you say "we" above, ("even if we -did- glass parking lot" etc.) I bet you really mean "they".     

I make a conscious effort to correct my own conditioned uses of words and sometimes catch myself using the wrong terms too.  For instance they aren't "my taxes", they are "their taxes" .  It's funny the looks you get from people when you use the proper terms, but it can sometimes create interesting conversations too. 

Erroneous_Logic

You got the meaning that I was conveying, which is the most important part and the point of words existing. :)

Russell Kanning

Free libertarian

Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on September 29, 2016, 10:34 AM NHFT
You got the meaning that I was conveying, which is the most important part and the point of words existing. :)

Sure, I agree with you, your word sin doesn't deserve a severe beating. So I put away my wet noodle.

My point was more an observation of how an intelligent person  like you, and sometimes many of us (me included) are trained to use words the way they want us to, which is to say, inaccurately.   

"They" intend the meanings of words can shift based on who is doing something, rather than being based on the action being done.    For instance, if you or I do it, it's murder, if "they" do it, it's collateral damage.

If you or I do it, it's theft, if they take without permission it's called something else etc.

When they / we do this repetitively it gets ingrained  in the common lexicon and it helps them build illogical, but commonly believed bridges to creating a false normal.    I may not be normal, and part of that is because I reject commonly used but false meanings.   Until more people examine and talk about that, "we" remain fucked, so to speak.

Tom Sawyer

We reject the cliche that a citizen who chooses a principled third-party candidate is squandering his or her vote.
— Chicago Tribune Editorial Board

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-gary-johnson-president-endorsement-edit-1002-20160930-story.html

While the media piles on Johnson for another Aleppo moment. Another large mainstream newspaper endorses the Libertarian candidate.
What's the Ghandi quote... first they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they attack you, then you win. Libertarian ideas are making great gains into the mainstream market of ideas. Johnson isn't the one. But, he is carrying the ball down the field.

All the criticism is gaining a larger audience that is now exposed to the idea/option of libertarianism.

The smug, sneering, Lefty commentators realize he is popular with the younger audience. And is a threat to Hillary. So all the right wing leaning libertarian hand wringing over the left leaning libertarians... the left leaning ones steal votes from the left, which is a good thing.

If you allow the media manipulators to create the context of what they report you come away with the narrative they want to establish. For example, "Johnson is an idiot that doesn't know some detail." But, observing without the bias, you get the message that he is the only candidate that recognizes and acknowledges that we armed ISIS and the current mess with our desire to have "regime change in Syria".

Our ideas are making progress into the wider world. Lots of reasons to be optimistic. In fact it's necessary to seize upon the opportunities being created.

jerryswife

Quote from: Free libertarian on September 30, 2016, 06:45 AM NHFT

Sure, I agree with you, your word sin doesn't deserve a severe beating. So I put away my wet noodle.

My point was more an observation of how an intelligent person  like you, and sometimes many of us (me included) are trained to use words the way they want us to, which is to say, inaccurately.   

"They" intend the meanings of words can shift based on who is doing something, rather than being based on the action being done.    For instance, if you or I do it, it's murder, if "they" do it, it's collateral damage.

If you or I do it, it's theft, if they take without permission it's called something else etc.

When they / we do this repetitively it gets ingrained  in the common lexicon and it helps them build illogical, but commonly believed bridges to creating a false normal.    I may not be normal, and part of that is because I reject commonly used but false meanings.   Until more people examine and talk about that, "we" remain fucked, so to speak.

Many (most) people are limited in their thinking by their limitations in vocabulary and inability to conceive of ideas they don't have words for.

Free libertarian

Quote from: jerryswife on October 01, 2016, 08:30 AM NHFT
Quote from: Free libertarian on September 30, 2016, 06:45 AM NHFT

Many (most) people are limited in their thinking by their limitations in vocabulary and inability to conceive of ideas they don't have words for.

Good point.   That's why we need more wordologists to create the words and take back the words that have been stolen.

Worda Claus ?   My 4th personality?

dalebert

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: dalebert on October 01, 2016, 12:43 PM NHFT
Quote from: Erroneous_Logic on September 15, 2016, 03:50 PM NHFT
The end of this month will be quite unmemorable. Good news, at that point, we'll be close to the fed no longer mattering.

OMG, he was right!

https://cointelegraph.com/news/moneros-bubble-pops-price-plummets-as-currency-loses-top-five-ranking

I almost jumped out a window. Dang that was close.

The sun will rise tomorrow and I will smile.

Erroneous_Logic

Goodness. It would take something a bit more meaningful than treasury yields to affect whether or not the sun rises.
I'm not too worried about the monero thing. It's just the hype bubble. It happens to lots of currencies. Happened to bitcoin the first time it halved. It'll dip, and then rediscover the proper price and continue on like nothing happened. oh btw bitcoin jumped up about $10-15 since friday, very very suddenly.

Russell Kanning

reading this thread helped talk me off the ledge