• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on October 13, 2016, 09:25 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 13, 2016, 10:51 AM NHFT
http://www.rigged2016.com
https://www.facebook.com/rigged2016movie/

Really well produced documentary. Drew Carey, Krist Novoselic (of Nirvana), Nick Gillespie (Reason), Glenn Beck etc.

I would ask that people share this in the Facebook realm, especially to have it as an outreach to those outside of our little sphere.

It's all over Facebook already. You'll get your copy in the mail. ;)

;D

I didn't see it posted by anyone I checked..

This cycle is the most significant I've seen since I've been paying attention from the libertarian perspective.

Never seen major newspapers endorse the candidate.

This documentary is the best one that's been produced. Sure is a lot better than that crap Harry Browne's campaign paid a 100 grand of campaign funds to make. Unlike that piece Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne spent 1 million of his own money. As someone that has produced and tried to distribute my work to a larger audience it's frustrating that most people are merely consumers and aren't active in helping spread the work in front of potential audiences. A feature length documentary is one of the more powerful ways to evangelize our message. But, again I am frustrated by many libertarians lack of interest in crafting a message that will convince the new audience. Their too busy talking to the echo chamber.

The fact that there are two of the least appealing candidates in american history. It could be the perfect storm... a real opportunity to make significant progress. Meanwhile most libertarians are too busy grousing about purity and not recognizing opportunity when it comes knocking. I don't even vote, but I see the chance to put in front of the larger audience that there is another direction to go.

Ol' Gary ain't "The One", but he is moving the ball down the field.

Russell Kanning

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 14, 2016, 07:23 AM NHFT
This cycle is the most significant I've seen since I've been paying attention from the libertarian perspective.

What about a 25 year old with a $2,500 campaign fund polling well against an entrenched incumbent in a solidly gerrymandered district? He even gets serious coverage in statewide news.

http://www.wiseye.org/Video-Archive/Event-Detail/evhdid/11039

Yeah, that's my kid.  ;D

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: jerryswife on October 14, 2016, 02:55 PM NHFT
https://fee.org/articles/statists-got-you-down-how-to-stay-resilient-as-freedom-declines/

Good article. I was reading Fee's magazine recently, I really liked it I need to support that organization.

QuoteGallagher explains psychology's "negative bias theory." Simply, "we pay more attention to unpleasant feelings such as fear, or anger and sadness because they're simply more powerful than the agreeable sort." 

The primitive, reptilian, survival mode function of our brain.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on October 14, 2016, 11:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 14, 2016, 07:23 AM NHFT

What about a 25 year old with a $2,500 campaign fund polling well against an entrenched incumbent in a solidly gerrymandered district? He even gets serious coverage in statewide news.

http://www.wiseye.org/Video-Archive/Event-Detail/evhdid/11039

Yeah, that's my kid.  ;D

More good news... I love it. Congrats Dad. As I say, "The nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

I was involved with a campaign for Lt. Governor of Virginia. They called it the Reams Reeferendum. In Virginia the Lt Governor has no real power and people aren't worried about who is Lt Governor. A friend of mine decided to create a campaign based around Cannabis law reform. Strictly a one issue campaign. He got Gary Reams to run. All he talked about was changing the Cannabis laws... he didn't even offer specific policies or laws. It was just a chance for people to show they supported change on the issue. He had almost no money for his campaign, but after I lined them up with some activists in Charlottesville he spoke at the University of Virginia. In that district he got 12% of the vote based on that one appearance.

There was fighting with in the LP circles over what the thrust of race should be. Many thought that he should have a gun rights campaign. Clearly they weren't thinking that the Republican candidate, who had an actual chance of winning, would be how people interested in the guns rights issue would vote.

Winning isn't the likely obtainable goal at this stage in most of these contests. Brand recognition and the first steps in making people realize that there is another direction are where we are at.

Free libertarian

It's sometimes hard to have a conversation with people if what you are talking about is beyond the scope of their present reality, but within the scope of something that IS real, (as in demonstrably provable) but not commonly known or recognized as being accurate.

Cognitive dissonance is the opiate substitute of the masses. 

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on October 15, 2016, 01:55 PM NHFT

It's sometimes hard to have a conversation with people if what you are talking about is beyond the scope of their present reality, but within the scope of something that IS real, (as in demonstrably provable) but not commonly known or recognized as being accurate.

You're freakin' me out man!

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 15, 2016, 02:48 PM NHFT
Quote from: Free libertarian on October 15, 2016, 01:55 PM NHFT

You're freakin' me out man!

I almost said "the methadone of the masses" but then the quote would have gotten methy.  Wait a minute, did I just lisp? 

Tom Sawyer

;D

I've had people do a full on meltdown, freak out on me. It's hard to take someone showing you that up is down and white is black.

I was right, but they couldn't accept the message.

I've since learned to be happy with creating one little crack that let's a little bit of light in. Later on I've had some tell me they found out I was right. Then they turn toward you for more answers.

I've also learned to not get caught up in changing the dinosaurs mind. Their children's generation is the target.

Russell Kanning

that happens when I tell some people that NASA faked the moon landing (ducks and runs for shelter)

Free libertarian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on October 15, 2016, 04:57 PM NHFT
that happens when I tell some people that NASA faked the moon landing (ducks and runs for shelter)

Well that's a relief.

I've been wanting to throw out that half used jar of TANG I've been hauling around for the last 40 years...and now I can do it guilt free. 

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 15, 2016, 04:19 PM NHFT
;D

I've had people do a full on meltdown, freak out on me. It's hard to take someone showing you that up is down and white is black.

I was right, but they couldn't accept the message.

I've since learned to be happy with creating one little crack that let's a little bit of light in. Later on I've had some tell me they found out I was right. Then they turn toward you for more answers.

I've also learned to not get caught up in changing the dinosaurs mind. Their children's generation is the target.

Good advice. 

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Free libertarian on October 15, 2016, 05:20 PM NHFT

Well that's a relief.

I've been wanting to throw out that half used jar of TANG I've been hauling around for the last 40 years...and now I can do it guilt free. 

probably for the best

Tom Sawyer

Johnson-Weld and NH: Not so long a shot now
EDITORIAL

Union Leader continues to support the Libertarian candidate. Of even more interest to me is the nasty attack comments from right and left wingers.  ;D The Cognitive Dissonance is at fevered pitch and they are feeling the pressure.  8)

Many think it's about if a libertarian can win. I'd say they already have. More attention and brand recognition than every.