• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Jim Johnson on October 21, 2016, 09:17 AM NHFT
Quote from: Free libertarian on October 21, 2016, 07:51 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jim Johnson on October 20, 2016, 12:07 PM NHFT
Is anyone stopping by 1975? WTF?

I stopped by, but regret to inform you I was skipping high school algebra class at the time and working the magic of a fake i.d. at a nearby college pub.  Cheers!   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voNEgCKzves

I wouldn't have known who did that song, but it sure did take me back.

Today I'm feeling a little bit nostalgic. Or maybe like a man that is a bit past his time. A little less optimistic, at least for my personal future.

Erroneous_Logic

Speaking of nostalgia, remember back in the day when bitcoin was spiking up to over $1000?

Tom Sawyer

QuoteAssange told an online audience that he's "a big admirer of Ron Paul and Rand Paul for their very principled positions in the U.S. Congress on a number of issues" and insisted that the libertarian wing the Republican Party represented the "only hope" for reform in American politics.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomwatson/2013/08/17/assanges-politics-rand-paul-and-libertarian-wing-of-gop-represent-only-hope-in-u-s/#53b846b457b5

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 22, 2016, 10:20 PM NHFT
QuoteAssange told an online audience that he's "a big admirer of Ron Paul and Rand Paul for their very principled positions in the U.S. Congress on a number of issues" and insisted that the libertarian wing the Republican Party represented the "only hope" for reform in American politics.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomwatson/2013/08/17/assanges-politics-rand-paul-and-libertarian-wing-of-gop-represent-only-hope-in-u-s/#53b846b457b5

My large Ron Paul sign (circa 2007 or 08) found itself cut into pieces and put into use as a wind blocker between the rafters of my chicken coop.  By the time Rand surfaced, I could honestly say I had chickened out of political solutions.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Free libertarian on October 23, 2016, 07:10 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 22, 2016, 10:20 PM NHFT

My large Ron Paul sign (circa 2007 or 08) found itself cut into pieces and put into use as a wind blocker between the rafters of my chicken coop.  By the time Rand surfaced, I could honestly say I had chickened out of political solutions.

;D

I don't really have a lot of hope for political solutions. At least not any time soon. But, I am encouraged that Assange and Snowden both have publicly expressed their libertarian support. It is the slow, yet steady, growth of the brand/ideology. Some young people just now coming up will be the ones to move this further forward. It might not be "Liberty in our Lifetime", but that is the direction that is growing, while the dinosaurs will be scrambling to try and suppress the changes. They will be in the reacting mode. trying to contain it.

People's enthusiasm for Ron Paul's efforts led to many folks moving to the Shire, that just a few years earlier weren't "libertarian". I think a lot of disenfranchised Bernie supporters will divide the left and even come to our side of things over time as well. The children of the lefties aren't too likely to become Republicans, they are more likely to come to our side of things as well.

More people inside Leviathan will question what is happening and be the next Snowden etc. More information has come to light from the hacked e-mails than since something like the Pentagon Papers. That eventually helped end the war in Vietnam.

The pessimistic naysayers will still look to the majority of the public that is being manipulated and fooled as proof that these things won't make a difference. It is always the case that the majority is blind to these things. But, years later what was on the fringe becomes the norm for the masses. I remember when I was a kid my parents saying "that's not music that's screaming". Years later my 80 year old mother had a Joe Cocker CD.  ;D   I see similar behavior in other tastes, what was once weird foreign cuisine is now being consumed in the most conservative backwaters.

What's that Ghandi quote about "Your efforts will probably have little effect, but you must do them." All the little ripples we make in the culture have an effect, it's just not something that can be predicted which efforts will really resonant. Even bringing two more people into the fold means you have created geometric growth, that's a pretty good growth curve.

Tom Sawyer

Mike Rowe "libertarian"?

24 Hours After Last Nights Debate, Mike Rowe Makes A Huge Confession On What He Sees Wrong With This Election

Quote"In the meantime, dig into Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt. It sounds like a snooze but it really is a page turner, and you can download it for free.

– Mike Rowe

Mark D. Jacobsen

I wanted to say hello. This is the current thread here to say hello on. So hello from Carroll County.
Positive things in life:
I never joined the military.
I planted lettuce and spinach and kale.
My dog ate my baby pumpkins.
I finished reading the book The Godfather.
Halloween is the best time of the year because I am a pagan bastard.
Pumpkin fest was moved to Laconia , obviously to get closer to me. (I heard a rumor)
I saw a meteor and haven't been vaporized.
My neighbors are off the grid types.
Someone around here has got a 50cal. I do not know who yet.
I am pleased to be in NH, freedom-wise life is better than western Wa. (GROUND 0) I don't live between 2 primary nuclear targets anymore.
:)
Modern day Warrior, is that what you mean by maybe the sky isn't falling?

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Mark D. Jacobsen on October 25, 2016, 03:50 AM NHFT
I wanted to say hello. This is the current thread here to say hello on. So hello from Carroll County.
Positive things in life:
Pumpkin fest was moved to Laconia , obviously to get closer to me. (I heard a rumor)
I am pleased to be in NH, freedom-wise life is better than western Wa. (GROUND 0) I don't live between 2 primary nuclear targets anymore.

Just what I needed to hear... some good news.  8)

Glad ya'll are enjoying your new environs. It's good not to be vaporized, well some kinds of vaporized are good... but not in a mushroom cloud... wait a minute even that could have a good connotation.  ;D (Sorry if I used up all your potential material here, Free Libertarian.)

Speaking of GROUND 0... When I lived in DC. One night I woke up to the loudest BOOM!!!!. I sat upright in bed to see the dog illuminated by a blinding light that was coming through the window shades. For an instant I thought, well this is it... Butch and I are done... shock wave to follow.

Turned out to be lightening had struck the power transformer in front of my house and lit the tree tops on fire. We spent the rest of the night on the front porch watching the fire department and electric company crews working. Some drunk guy came wondering down the street among sparking wires, with everyone yelling at him to get out of there. It's apparently true that god does take care of drunks and fools. Since I wasn't the drunk... well, you know which one I must be.  ;D

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 25, 2016, 04:40 AM NHFT
Quote from: Mark D. Jacobsen on October 25, 2016, 03:50 AM NHFT
Positive things in life:

Just what I needed to hear... some good news.  8)

Glad ya'll are enjoying your new environs. It's good not to be vaporized, well some kinds of vaporized are good... but not in a mushroom cloud... wait a minute even that could have a good connotation.  ;D (Sorry if I used up all your potential material here, Free Libertarian.)

Speaking of GROUND 0... When I lived in DC. One night I woke up to the loudest BOOM!!!!. I sat upright in bed to see the dog illuminated by a blinding light that was coming through the window shades. For an instant I thought, well this is it... Butch and I are done... shock wave to follow.

Turned out to be lightening had struck the power transformer in front of my house and lit the tree tops on fire. We spent the rest of the night on the front porch watching the fire department and electric company crews working. Some drunk guy came wondering down the street among sparking wires, with everyone yelling at him to get out of there. It's apparently true that god does take care of drunks and fools. Since I wasn't the drunk... well, you know which one I must be.  ;D

Interesting story.   I'm just gonna say from personal experience, that it's possible a person could be both a drunk and a fool though.
I have a sort of similar story, albeit it's a little racy.

Many years ago, in a little one bedroom apartment my brother and I lived in, we made a rule, whoever got home first got the bedroom and the other guy got the couch.  I was erm "engaged within" in the bedroom with a local lass, when the building next door caught on fire and there was quite a fuss just a few feet away, sirens blaring, firemen gesticulating etc.   Being a drunken, (horny) fool at the time, I did not abandon my post until the job was done, not even when they wetted down the exterior wall of the building I was in as a precautionary measure.  Eventually after everyone had put their hoses away, the evening quiet resumed.

Erroneous_Logic

I hope everyone's getting their bitcoins before it blasts off for real. :)

Tom Sawyer

Democrats should ask Hillary Clinton to step aside
Chicago Tribune

The Chicago Tribune also endorsed Gary Johnson's campaign. Other endorsements here.

Quote"The best thing would be for Democrats to ask her to step down now. It would be the most responsible thing to do, if the nation were more important to them than power. And the American news media — fairly or not firmly identified in the public mind as Mrs. Clinton's political action committee — should begin demanding it."

Unprecedented, in my lifetime...  ;D

So when the bitch gets into office she is going to have to weather one controversy after another. I can only hope that the Dem's overreach and arrogance will be an example of 'winning the battle and losing the war'.

jerryswife

Michael Crichton has a brilliant take on speculation, which is what the news has become as opposed to rational analysis.  I think I will unsubscribe to most of the news feeds that fill my inbox. :)

http://needtoknow.news/archives/articles-from-ntk/why-speculate-crichton-2016-10-26/

KBCraig

Quote from: jerryswife on October 29, 2016, 03:12 PM NHFT
Michael Crichton has a brilliant take on speculation, which is what the news has become as opposed to rational analysis.  I think I will unsubscribe to most of the news feeds that fill my inbox. :)

http://needtoknow.news/archives/articles-from-ntk/why-speculate-crichton-2016-10-26/

I'm not a fan of any of his novels after Andromeda Strain, but this was witty. :)

Tom Sawyer

Gary Johnson: Voting for Trump or Clinton Is Voting for Tyranny
Time.com

QuoteAnd now that we're getting down to the end, people are even angrier and more dissatisfied. Why? Because while we have a multiplicity of choices in other spheres of life, our freedom and liberty are being limited by a system that has reduced our political choices to two: Republican or Democrat.

Why military voters pick Gary Johnson over Hillary Clinton
Christian Science Monitor

QuoteThe poll found that officers are also less likely to vote for Trump than enlisted personnel, with only 26 percent pledging support to the Republican candidate. Among this group, Johnson and Clinton are neck-and-neck, both carrying around 31 percent of the voting bloc.

While the support for Johnson seems staggering, military voters aren't the only ones moving toward the Libertarian. A Quinnipiac University poll conducted in mid-September found that 29 percent of voters between the ages of 18 and 34 favored the third-party candidate.

Unprecedented support for a libertarian candidate. Most extensive mainstream coverage ever... these are signs of things going in the right direction.

blackie

I wish I felt like we were headed in the right direction. Seems more like the highway to hell.