• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Maybe the sky isn't falling

Started by Tom Sawyer, September 15, 2016, 10:38 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

Quote from: blackie on October 31, 2016, 03:02 AM NHFT
I wish I felt like we were headed in the right direction. Seems more like the highway to hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_gtGfAail4

Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

I wish I felt like we were headed in the right direction. Seems more like the highway to hell.

I feel ya. Short term I am concerned for the same thing. But, if Killary doesn't start WW3 and we don't get nuked... (and that's a pretty big if)... more people than ever have been exposed to the option of a libertarian direction. The ideas win even when the political effort doesn't.

As an aside my spell checker corrected my error when I typed libertarian, so it's a common term. When I first started using the term libertarian, probably 1977, not many people had heard the term. Now the candidate has been endorsed by major newspapers. Progress. It's a matter of not just looking at the things that are going badly.

Best opportunity for growth ever.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 31, 2016, 09:06 AM NHFT

I feel ya. Short term I am concerned for the same thing. But, if Killary doesn't start WW3 and we don't get nuked... (and that's a pretty big if)... more people than ever have been exposed to the option of a libertarian direction. The ideas win even when the political effort doesn't.

As an aside my spell checker corrected my error when I typed libertarian, so it's a common term. When I first started using the term libertarian, probably 1977, not many people had heard the term. Now the candidate has been endorsed by major newspapers. Progress. It's a matter of not just looking at the things that are going badly.

But to hear the purists talk, it's time to abandon the party for not being 'principled'.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on October 31, 2016, 10:44 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 31, 2016, 09:06 AM NHFT

But to hear the purists talk, it's time to abandon the party for not being 'principled'.

Anarchist for President. Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?  ;D

Minarchist is what a libertarian presidential candidate is.

In addition this is the wave to ride right now. Or you can paddle out and wait 4-8 years for the next/perfect wave.

blackie

There is a reason it is referred to as a two party system. And it's rigged.

Ross Perot got 19% of the popular vote in 1992, but no electoral votes.

Russell Kanning

and Perot is a Roosevelt/Bush anyway :)

if some guys in the military want to vote for a anti-war candidate .... there must be some progress :)

Mark D. Jacobsen

The alternative has left the building. The time for a political solution is past.
How does it go?

Fool me once shame on you.

Fool me four times shame on me.

Tom Sawyer

Commentary: The unbearable smugness of the press

The mainstream media takes it on the chin from this election cycle. The obvious bias, I think, contributed to people voting for what they were told not to vote for.

QuoteWe go into assignments too certain that what we find will serve to justify our biases. The public's estimation of the press declines even further -- fewer than one-in-three Americans trust the press, per Gallup -- which starts the cycle anew.

Creative destruction, baby. The old has to fall before the new can rise to replace it. Only the dinosaurs are still getting their "news" from newspapers and TV.  ;D Sure we read what they are spouting, but we weigh it against other sources of information and don't take it at face value.

Russell Kanning

it is surprising that some people still get their info from the old news

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 12, 2016, 06:16 PM NHFT
Commentary: The unbearable smugness of the press

The mainstream media takes it on the chin from this election cycle. The obvious bias, I think, contributed to people voting for what they were told not to vote for.

QuoteWe go into assignments too certain that what we find will serve to justify our biases. The public's estimation of the press declines even further -- fewer than one-in-three Americans trust the press, per Gallup -- which starts the cycle anew.

Creative destruction, baby. The old has to fall before the new can rise to replace it. Only the dinosaurs are still getting their "news" from newspapers and TV.  ;D Sure we read what they are spouting, but we weigh it against other sources of information and don't take it at face value.

This is a very long piece, but it's in segments that don't feel long. It's a good read where a Vox writer calls out smugness.

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/smug-american-liberalism

Russell Kanning

the sky might not be falling .... but trump is president

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 13, 2016, 06:45 PM NHFT

Yeah, but you could say the same thing about the last, I don't know, how many presidents? ;D

He is like the rodeo clown president.

I came to be more afraid of Killary, that evil bitch would have gotten away with so much cuz she could play the "First Woman President" card. Just like Obama played the "First Black President" card.

I mean Trump is a want to be junior varsity Mussolini, but it could have some real comedy potential.

Free libertarian

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 13, 2016, 07:39 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on November 13, 2016, 06:45 PM NHFT

Yeah, but you could say the same thing about the last, I don't know, how many presidents? ;D

He is like the rodeo clown president.

I came to be more afraid of Killary, that evil bitch would have gotten away with so much cuz she could play the "First Woman President" card. Just like Obama played the "First Black President" card.

I mean Trump is a want to be junior varsity Mussolini, but it could have some real comedy potential.

Sometimes a blind squirrel President finds a nut...sometimes.

Ultimately property rights and personal rights are the same thing -  Calvin Coolidge   

Tom Sawyer

Snowden, probably one of the bigger heroes of my lifetime.

Snowden

Just watched a very well done film by Oliver Stone.  Now 10's of millions will likely be touched by the dramatic film.

The dark person's view of the film would be, "How awful, we're screwed." The bright view is that a person of conscience did the right thing at tremendous personal cost.

The "powers that be"will have a lot of difficulty with all the wild cards that can be played against their plans of controlling our future's path.