• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: blackie on October 24, 2016, 08:30 AM NHFT
Maine still isn't compliant.

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/10/12/homeland-security-wont-extend-deadline-for-maine-compliance-with-federal-id-law/

Maine is one of only five states that Homeland Security has deemed noncompliant and have not been granted extensions. The others are Kentucky, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and South Carolina. The remaining states have either been granted extensions or already have come into compliance.

Good on ya'll. Or should I say Yous guys.  ;D

I was reading that as well.

This is one of those lines in the sand that could be a real issue (pun intended). Trust in the gooberment is at an all time low. Now is the time to force them to drive the wedge in.

KBCraig

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 24, 2016, 08:20 AM NHFT
New Hampshire now has a REAL-ID compliant license.

Only for those who opt in. For everyone else, it's not.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: KBCraig on October 24, 2016, 11:07 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 24, 2016, 08:20 AM NHFT
New Hampshire now has a REAL-ID compliant license.

Only for those who opt in. For everyone else, it's not.

They weaseled out. Wasn't the whole point of the 2007 law to prevent the state government from going along?

Did any of the people that fought the first time even sound the alarm for this law?

They played the game of getting to say they saved the people from the more onerous law by compromising. That's the story of the republicans giving away freedom at a slightly slower rate than the democrats.

Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on October 24, 2016, 07:20 PM NHFT
Thread over at Free State Project Forum
http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=28447.msg299353#msg299353

QuoteThe effort put into stopping this was squandered. We worked hard and had to deal with back room sneaky dealings with the republicans from Washington. After all that, we won and now it's been weaseled away.

Now it's a divide and conquer game and they have the lead. It could have been a state's rights showdown. Now it will be a steady marginalizing against an ever shrinking group of individuals. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I'm wondering if this is in violation of the law created in 2007?

blackie

I didn't realize maine was the first state to oppose real ID.

On January 25, 2007, a Resolution passed overwhelmingly in the Maine Legislature that refuses implementation of the Real ID Act in that state, and calls on Congress to repeal the law. Many Maine lawmakers believe the law does more harm than good, that it would be a bureaucratic nightmare to enforce, is threatening to individual privacy, makes citizens increasingly vulnerable to ID theft, and would cost Maine taxpayers at least $185 million in five years because of the massive unfunded federal mandates on all the states. The Resolution vote in the Maine House was 137–4 and in the Maine Senate unanimous, 34–0.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: blackie on October 24, 2016, 08:29 PM NHFT
I didn't realize maine was the first state to oppose real ID.

On January 25, 2007, a Resolution passed overwhelmingly in the Maine Legislature that refuses implementation of the Real ID Act in that state, and calls on Congress to repeal the law. Many Maine lawmakers believe the law does more harm than good, that it would be a bureaucratic nightmare to enforce, is threatening to individual privacy, makes citizens increasingly vulnerable to ID theft, and would cost Maine taxpayers at least $185 million in five years because of the massive unfunded federal mandates on all the states. The Resolution vote in the Maine House was 137–4 and in the Maine Senate unanimous, 34–0.

Wow, that was a strong vote. I hope that Maine holds the line.