• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

John McAfee is Keynote Speaker for 2017 Porcfest

Started by Jim Johnson, March 13, 2017, 03:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Johnson

...which means I can't go.

Man..... the harassment that guy put us through with his security software still pisses me off.

Tom Sawyer

What did he block your Nigerian malware project?

Jay

Well, I'm sure you will probably be busy with other things anyway.

Jim Johnson

McAfee's annoying screen pop-ups vexed me for about ten years.

'No, I don't want your Security Programs on my computer. Leave me alone.'

It was frustrating to the point anger.

WithoutAPaddle

I vaguely remember screens saying, "If you don't, not want our program to not counterman your program, click here."

KBCraig

I'm not excited, but then I've never really cared who the speakers were.

Russell Kanning

my old boss in CA had a conspiracy theory that Bill Gates ruined your computer so McAfee could sell you the fix.

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: Russell Kanning on March 14, 2017, 02:54 PM NHFT
my old boss in CA had a conspiracy theory that Bill Gates ruined your computer so McAfee could sell you the fix.
I think AOL does something like that with its heretofore, "free" downloadable desktop, which I occasionally use, just because, if I use it to open an e-mail, it automatically stores a duplicate of it on my hard drive which I can readily access even if I am off-line, but anyway...whenever my AOL runs slower on their proprietary desktop than it runs through Firefox, I just know that I will be getting a "Is your PC running slow?" e-mail from AOL.

All that becomes moot in a month, as AOL is disabling its free desktop (presently in versions up to 9.8.2) and replacing it with a superior (wouldn't be hard to make one) subscription version for $3.99 a month. 

Can anyone recommend a freebie browser that automatically, redundantly stores opened e-mails on one's hard drive?  My alternate browsers of choice are Firefox and Google Chrome, but I haven't had  cause until now to see if there are hard drive storage options or versions available for them.

WithoutAPaddle

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on March 14, 2017, 03:11 PM NHFT...AOL is disabling its free desktop (presently in versions up to 9.8.2) and replacing it with a superior (wouldn't be hard to make one) subscription version for $3.99 a month...

Dear WithoutAPaddle

On Tuesday morning, March 14, we accidently sent an email regarding our new AOL Desktop Gold software that was not intended for you. We want to assure you that your current AOL Desktop software will not be discontinued at this time and you can continue using it as you do today. We sincerely apologize for this mistake and want to make sure you know that you will continue to have access to your AOL Desktop Software without interruption or charge.

Sincerely,
AOL Customer Support

KBCraig

Quote from: WithoutAPaddle on March 14, 2017, 03:11 PM NHFT

Can anyone recommend a freebie browser that automatically, redundantly stores opened e-mails on one's hard drive?

Browser? No. What you want is an email client.

Remember Eudora? Its descendent is Thunderbird, maintained by Mozilla.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Eudora c. 1999 is still better than any current email clients.