• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Nurse dragged screaming to police car after refusing to give patient’s blood to

Started by Silent_Bob, September 01, 2017, 11:12 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent_Bob

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/348833-nurse-dragged-screaming-to-police-car-after-refusing-to-give

A University of Utah nurse said she was assaulted and unlawfully arrested by Salt Lake City police officers in late July when she refused to let police take a blood sample from an unconscious crash victim who had been brought to the hospital.

Hospital and officer body camera footage shows nurse Alex Wubbels telling officers that it was against the hospital's policy to take blood from an unconscious patient without a warrant, consent from the patient or if the patient has been under arrest.

The patient was a semi-truck driver who had struck a car that was being pursued by state troopers.

"I either go away with blood in vials or body in tow," Detective Jeff Payne told Wubbels, before telling her she is under arrest, grabbing her arms and handcuffing her as she screams for help.

While he is still on duty with the police department, Payne has been suspended from the department's blood draw program, according to The Salt Like Tribune.

Payne said he was advised by his commander on duty to arrest the nurse for interfering with a police investigation, according to the Tribune.

"I can't sit on this video and not attempt to speak out both to re-educate and inform," Wubbles told the publication, adding that she never said no to Payne's request to draw blood, but rather informed him of the blood draw policy.

Wubbles was not charged, and a lawsuit has not been filed.

The police department has launched an internal investigation.

Russell Kanning

Alex is a woman?
I guess I know a couple of nurses at that hospital. my childhood friend Brooks and his wife. He also does ski patrol stuff at Alta.
"interfering with a police investigation" sure can lead to a lot nowadays

Free libertarian

The last line was very reassuring,  "The Police Dept. has launched an internal investigation."   

KBCraig

Nurses are above firefighters on the saint scale of public perception. Police aren't even on it.

This has been a huge story. The cop is now on administrative leave, not just modified duty. At least one other is as well, but we don't know yet if it's his partner or his supervisor.

The DA has launched a criminal investigation. Last year Utah made assaulting a healthcare worker subject to the same felony punishment as assaulting a police officer, so this is going to get interesting.

Russell Kanning

this blew up on twitter with my fellow Utah Jazz friends .... they were going crazy

Tom Sawyer

This story sure got some traction... In the internet age these incidents are much harder to sweep under the rug.

Russell Kanning

KBCraig

Russell Kanning