• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH allows guns in schools, bill aims to change this

Started by Dave Ridley, February 12, 2019, 03:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Between now and late Feb. 2019 you can take action to stop this bill which would endanger children, details on some of your options are below.

New Hampshire has no law forbidding non-pupils from carrying firearms on school grounds.   Perhaps in part because of this, there has not yet been a major school shooting in New Hampshire.  I can't even name a minor one.

A new bill aims to change the legal framework somewhat, though I'm not sure it would create a situation where guns could become outright illegal on school grounds. As the summary from Legislative Services puts it:

"This bill allows a school district, school administrative unit, or chartered public school to adopt and enforce a policy regulating firearms, firearms components, ammunition, firearms supplies, or knives within its jurisdiction."

Bill text: https://legiscan.com/NH/text/HB101/id/1833256

One worrisome question would be this: Just how big *is* a school district's "juristiction?" Could schools create a situation where they are forbidding guns in a wider area than expected?  And what exactly would "enforce' mean? 

According to the link above, the public hearing is slated for 02/13/2019 09:00 am
After that it is still possible to weigh in before the vote occurrs (probably around late Feb.) This link lets you email the committee members: http://www.gencourtmobile.com/2019/hb101

Free libertarian

Thanks for posting this Dave.   Sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

I guess the school districts only have a use for guns, when it comes time to collect "their" funding from the tax serfs.