• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Nashua Porcupine Central: URGENT Need for Renters!

Started by Michael Fisher, February 07, 2006, 10:44 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhiannon McKinnon

All of the inconveniences in life dealt out to those who live by libertarian principles and try to stay "under the radar" tend to put a lot of stress on any relationship....and even more so if one's spouse or significant other thinks that you're nuts for trying to live your life free of government interference.

"I think government marriage used to be a bad deal for females, but is now a worse deal for men"

Especially true because neither government nor society tends to treat men equally in marriage:
1) When you get to divorce court, the deck is stacked against men from the start, in almost every possible way.
2) No one seems to believe that physical abuse against men DOES occur.

"I think marriage is the good life."

We do too.  But the hard part is when you go to define that relationship on your own terms, and those terms tend to fall outside of society's accepted norms.  Recognition (not necessarily by the government) of "unconventional" relationships is a bit easier for same-sex couples these days (for example, more and more workplace-related insurance plans are recognizing such relationships)....but polygamists still are left out in the cold....

~RM

CNHT

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 09, 2006, 10:51 AM NHFT
Damn Straight!  We used to call that 'Shack'in Up!

I am not dissing marriage for those yung'uns who want it for themselves, especially if they want kids, but for me, it's not an option.
However, I can still be in a committed, responsible relationship without the help of the 'state'.

The tough part is finding a suitable person with whom to have the relationship.  >:D

FTL_Ian

Quote from: CNHT on February 09, 2006, 11:00 AM NHFT
I am not dissing marriage for those yung'uns who want it for themselves, especially if they want kids, but for me, it's not an option.
However, I can still be in a committed, responsible relationship without the help of the 'state'.

The tough part is finding a suitable person with whom to have the relationship.  >:D

I agree.  I'm quite dedicated to my lady, no silly ceremony is necessary.

intergraph19

Quote from: Rhiannon McKinnon on February 09, 2006, 10:52 AM NHFT
All of the inconveniences in life dealt out to those who live by libertarian principles and try to stay "under the radar" tend to put a lot of stress on any relationship....and even more so if one's spouse or significant other thinks that you're nuts for trying to live your life free of government interference.

Hence why political veiws are an essential critiria for me in my relationships now.  My old ex was apathetic to politics and I couldn't stand it, it made me crazy to not have someone I could talk to about it who was as adament about it as I was.

Lex

Quote from: intergraph19 on February 09, 2006, 11:19 AM NHFT
Hence why political veiws are an essential critiria for me in my relationships now.  My old ex was apathetic to politics and I couldn't stand it, it made me crazy to not have someone I could talk to about it who was as adament about it as I was.

I get along very well with my wife in this regard. She's as much of an anarchist as I am.

CNHT

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on February 09, 2006, 11:47 AM NHFT

I get along very well with my wife in this regard. She's as much of an anarchist as I am.

Besides which, you are very cute. I've seen your photo. :-)

Lex

Quote from: CNHT on February 09, 2006, 11:48 AM NHFT
Quote from: Lex Berezhny on February 09, 2006, 11:47 AM NHFT

Besides which, you are very cute. I've seen your photo. :-)

I've changed a lot since becoming an anarchist and a father...

president

Quote from: FTL_Ian on February 09, 2006, 11:15 AM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on February 09, 2006, 11:00 AM NHFT

I agree.  I'm quite dedicated to my lady, no silly ceremony is necessary.
How long have you been with her?

Kinda weird how you had a fiance a few months ago, but now you are dedicated to an new lady. How long to think this one will last?

Michael Fisher

Quote from: intergraph19 on February 07, 2006, 02:58 PM NHFT
Quote from: Michael Fisher on February 07, 2006, 10:44 AM NHFT
I am now alone, renting space in a large home in Brookline, and urgently need to find others to rent space here with me

Brookline?!?  Why did I not know this?  I live in Brookline!  Too bad I can't move out...

Doh!

Michael Fisher

Thanks for the kind words, my friends, but from now on I want privacy in my personal life.

Please respect that request.  I would do the same for any of you.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: CNHT on February 09, 2006, 09:36 AM NHFT
SO now you are blaming the government for the reason why Mike and Amethyste did not get along? That is rather absurd.

For people that are so similar, we disagree on so many issues.  No, I never said anything about it being the government's fault.

president

Sorry, but if I want to ask a question I will. You don't have to answer.

CNHT

Quote from: TN-FSP on February 09, 2006, 03:03 PM NHFT
Quote from: CNHT on February 09, 2006, 09:36 AM NHFT
SO now you are blaming the government for the reason why Mike and Amethyste did not get along? That is rather absurd.

For people that are so similar, we disagree on so many issues.  No, I never said anything about it being the government's fault.

Well it just seemed that you connected the idea of marital troubles with the gov't connection ? sure gov't causes trouble when you want to split up, but it has nothing to do with how you feel about the other person over time.

Russell Kanning

Wow ..... all this from a roommates wanted thread. I guess this is a big issue. :happy6: