• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Using Mobile TXT Messages to stage spontaneous events

Started by PowerPenguin, February 11, 2006, 04:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mackler

Even sending text messages can be disabled by the authorities.  I'm wondering if there's a way to program a "smart-phone" like a Treo to communicate directly with other such phones without going through the phone-company's cell-network.  Then the phone company couldn't turn off the service. 

It would be like having walkie-talkies, but wouldn't require lugging around an additional piece of hardware (assuming you usually carry your phone with you).

error

Bluetooth capable phones can send messages to other such devices in the immediate vicinity, but the range on such communications is so short that if you have a message, you may as well just walk over and say it.

sandm000

Quote from: KBCraig on February 11, 2006, 09:21 AM NHFT
Quote from: aries on February 11, 2006, 07:26 AM NHFT
They're called flash mobs.

They work best in colleges or cities between large groups of people with similar interests, who have cell phones

... and who don't have a helluva lot else to do, like jobs or classes that they actually have to attend.

Kevin

Or if you could take an hour out of your classes, or off of work...

mackler

The "flash mobs" I've heard about have been planned days or weeks in advance.

I've seen posts on craigslist like "On Sunday at 2:43 p.m. everyone be on the third floor of Macy's" or whatever.

Neal Jiutai

Quote from: mackler on August 20, 2007, 03:04 AM NHFT
Even sending text messages can be disabled by the authorities.  I'm wondering if there's a way to program a "smart-phone" like a Treo to communicate directly with other such phones without going through the phone-company's cell-network.  Then the phone company couldn't turn off the service. 

It would be like having walkie-talkies, but wouldn't require lugging around an additional piece of hardware (assuming you usually carry your phone with you).

Wifi phones can connect to any hotspot, regardless of whether it's connected to a cell network.

Then you can use any number of programs, from regular email, to traditional IM like AIM, to posting forums like this one, to VoIP like Skype.

They'd have to shutdown the hotspot you're on or shutdown the whole Internets to keep you out of the know.

error

[youtube=425,350]T9F5x_qZ5CA[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9F5x_qZ5CA

If the telephone and Internet are unavailable, whether due to a natural disaster, man-made disaster or government disaster, this is one possible answer.

mackler

That's definitely moving in the right direction.  But why do I have to reboot my laptop?  I just want to run an application.  That sounds like it's going to refragment my harddrive or something.

And anyway, I don't carry my laptop around with me as often as I do my phone.  How about an application for my Treo?

error

I think the whole point of booting off a CD is to not disturb your hard drive. As for your Treo, good idea. Go for it and let us know when you have something to play with. :)