• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Using Mobile TXT Messages to stage spontaneous events

Started by PowerPenguin, February 11, 2006, 04:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerPenguin

Dear Friends, You may or may not heared of doing this before, but one guy I work with out here told me that in some countries in Europe, etc. they call sponteneous rallies/protests by sending out mass mobile phone Text Messages (TXT). If you get people from all over the area to convene at a specific place on short notice, any unhappy authorities will be literally unable to stop it unless they set up roadlbocks everywhere a head of time and started MGing people down or something.

Does anyone have experience with this and if so, how do you go about doing this? For it to work, there has to be a way to message dozens of people at once not just one at a time as that would take forever and blow cover in tense situations.

Pat McCotter

You could set up a calling tree. Also, my cell phone allows messages to be sent to groups of contacts. I haven't tried it.

aries

They're called flash mobs.

They work best in colleges or cities between large groups of people with similar interests, who have cell phones (many more people in europe have them than over here).

Basically one upset person sends a txt message with a time and place and description. I'm assuming that a great number of them are unsuccessful, but when they are we tend to hear about it. Kind of like a citizens union, or a militia that can organize and gather quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

Russell Kanning

Dada is big on this idea also .... we could do it. Would someone like to set it up and run with it?

KBCraig

Quote from: aries on February 11, 2006, 07:26 AM NHFT
They're called flash mobs.

They work best in colleges or cities between large groups of people with similar interests, who have cell phones

... and who don't have a helluva lot else to do, like jobs or classes that they actually have to attend.

Kevin

PowerPenguin

This could be done on  a weekend. The thing is that it doesn't have to be completely random, just random within the confines of a span of a particular day or even a few hours. Hell, you could even have it for a paricular time. The key is in the organizational structure, ie that many people convene on one area all at once, rather than grouping somewhere and then going to the site, which is easier for unfriendly authorities to repel.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: powerpenguin on February 11, 2006, 11:24 AM NHFT
This could be done on  a weekend. The thing is that it doesn't have to be completely random, just random within the confines of a span of a particular day or even a few hours. Hell, you could even have it for a paricular time. The key is in the organizational structure, ie that many people convene on one area all at once, rather than grouping somewhere and then going to the site, which is easier for unfriendly authorities to repel.

It sounds like a great thing to do in Manchester once we get more freedom lovers in NH.

aries

Not to knock this thread totally off topic, but should us NHUnderground users start an "emergency plan?"
Say, in the event of another terrorist attack and all freedom of speech were cut off, or members of projects like this faced prosecution for our "dissent" or seditious views... shouldn't we know where/when to meet up?

Just throwing that out there.

PowerPenguin

Yeah good idea. There should be two parallel 'escape routes', if you will. One should be online (accessible but secure), and the other should be ground-based.

For some ideas, you may want to check out the following sites:

1. http://tinyurl.com/cnf7u
2. http://tinyurl.com/c8sqd

Though it should be ovious already, I'll just note here that any such plan should really be kept 'under ground', aka more so than on this forum ;)

aries

Quote from: powerpenguin on February 11, 2006, 08:07 PM NHFT
Though it should be ovious already, I'll just note here that any such plan should really be kept 'under ground', aka more so than on this forum ;)
Good point...
Anyone got any ideas for this?

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: aries on February 11, 2006, 06:40 PM NHFT
Not to knock this thread totally off topic, but should us NHUnderground users start an "emergency plan?"
Say, in the event of another terrorist attack and all freedom of speech were cut off, or members of projects like this faced prosecution for our "dissent" or seditious views... shouldn't we know where/when to meet up?

Nah.  If I am in NH, I'll just go to Russell's place because then I will be with at least one person that is good with a gun, Kat  :o

PowerPenguin

Having a firearm isn't going to help much of the SWAT team comes by for a cup of tea  ;)

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: powerpenguin on February 12, 2006, 12:22 AM NHFT
Having a firearm isn't going to help much of the SWAT team comes by for a cup of tea  ;)

But you don't know just how good Kat is with a gun.

WES

Probably about 2 years ago, I saw a news item about using text messaging to stage spontaneous events. In this case people would get the message and at a prescribed time start milling about at the location all clumped together for a set time period...then disperse. During the event they were quiet, moved slow and deliberate, minimal physical expression, and never spoke. (sort of zombie-like) This actually was kind of creepy to those in the area not in on what was going down. Some of the times, everybody would have the same T-shirt on, indicating they were "related" to one another, which added to the creepiness.

Kind of a different take on "comforting the disturbed and disturbing the comfortable."

Kat Kanning

Uh, I've shot maybe twice in the last 10 years.  What makes you think I'm good with a gun?