• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Kat and Russell in court March 1 (calendar entry)

Started by Dave Ridley, February 12, 2006, 01:24 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

We don't really do an email list. You can check our calendar though.

Dave Ridley

woo hoo!   thanks, freesalem.   cool name btw

Pat McCotter

Quote from: FreeSalem on February 17, 2006, 04:54 PM NHFT
Just heard about this . . I might be working nights that week and could go to court in support . . feel free to email me and keep me informed :) freesalem@iussa.org

Just click the notify button on this topic.

danhynes

Is this court date a date for simply entering a plea or is it for something else?

Kat Kanning

dpagan

I don't know much about law; I was wondering can the judge throw out a case at an arraignment?

danhynes

ah ok, arraignment isnt anything big, should just be to put you on notice of the charge and have you say not guilty and would normally be when your appointed an attorney if any jail time was involved. I dont think a judge would throw it out in an arraignment. Really the judge should not ever throw out a case until after the prosecution has presented its side, unless maybe if there was not even probable cause for the complaint in the first place. Not too sure about NH law though, I looked it up briefly and it appears to be different at certain stages than MA law which I am used to. I would think you could present a motion at the arraignment, so if you (Kat and Rusell) would like I could draft a motion to dismiss arguing there is no probable cause even if everything the police say is true as you were using your constitional right to free speech. I would think the judge would allow the motion to be submitted and either deny it, or allow the prosecution to file a motion in opposition and then rule on it. But normally a motion to dismiss would be brought after discovery has taken place. Perhaps if the prosecution saw you were gonna fight them over it and they were only seeking a small fine they would not bother with case. Just my thoughs.

Kat Kanning

cathleeninnh

My t-shirt came. Bill of rights on the back and Free Speech Zone superimposed over the continental US on the front.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

8)
We have another couple coming from Jaffrey for this event. I met him through our paper.

Dave Ridley

OK when exactly do you want people to arrive at district court and what exactly do you want them to do?

Not exactly clear on when or whether there will be a demo outside, but if there is I want to tell the media about it and send em some invites.

Dreepa

My trip got canceled.
I am planning on being there (unless I have to fly out again).

I will also plan on being in the courtroom.

Russell Kanning

I would like to see the courtroom packed with supporters. (Wear whatever you have the guts to wear.) Our hearing could be as early as 8:15.
It would also be cool to have people outside with signs/shirts.

Dave Ridley

So should we say we're asking folks to be there at 8:00 if possible and either be inside or outside as the spirit moves?

Russell Kanning