• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Democrat Mark Warner getting noticed in New Hampshire

Started by aries, February 12, 2006, 06:21 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/nation/13849633.htm

QuoteMANCHESTER, N.H. - Don't look now, but the contest for the 2008 Democratic presidential nomination is already underway and once again a little known southern governor is turning some heads.

Once, it was Jimmy Carter trekking north from Georgia. Then Bill Clinton from Arkansas. Now it's former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner, who this weekend made his second trip to New Hampshire, site of the nation's first primary.

His message: I proved I could win and govern in a conservative "red" state, the kind of state Democrats need if they are ever to win back the White House. I've also got the management style they need if they want to get anything done after inauguration day.

The verdict was encouraging among party activists considering which candidate they'll work for.

"He's coming on strong," said Carol Shea-Porter, a Democratic candidate for Congress. "He's getting noticed. People are talking about him."

Said Dick Swett, a former congressman from New Hampshire: "Those in the know have a very high opinion of him."

Neither endorsed Warner. Nor should anyone make reservations for the Warner nomination or inaugural yet. Warner only has the support of 2 percent of New Hampshire Democrats in a new poll, well back in the pack and far behind presumed frontrunner Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York.

But many of the roughly 500 party insiders who came to hear Warner speak at a dinner Friday evening said they are just starting to think about which candidate they will help.

Warner, who left office weeks ago after a one-term limit, poured on the charm, first in a convention-like video that trumpeted his achievements and then in a half-hour speech.

His theme was part Bill Clinton, part George W. Bush, and all Washington outsider.

A self-made millionaire, he stressed the need to help people help themselves, reminiscent of Clinton's 1992 campaign.

"One of our challenges ... is to make sure everyone gets their own fair shot at their own version of the American dream," he said. "And getting that chance ought to be more important than who your parents are, what race you are, or where you worship."

He zinged Bush for failures in his administration - such as a confusing new Medicare drug benefit and the government response to Hurricane Katrina - and used Bush's 2000 campaign rhetoric against him.

"Tell me who has been held accountable," Warner said. "From an administration and a party that preaches the ethic of personal responsibility, the consistent lack of it in our government is unacceptable."

He vowed a strong national defense and tried to deflect expected criticisms that he has no national security experience. He noted that his state has the highest per capita number of military installations in the country - though he did not explain how that gave him experience.

Mostly, Warner stressed his record in Virginia, winning in what he called "the reddest of red states," then fixing a budget mess inherited from a Republican, improving school test scores, and expanding health care. He left office with soaring approval ratings, helping his lieutenant governor win the top job.

"We tackled some big problems ... some of the same kind of problems you face here in New Hampshire ... and we face all across the country," he said.

"We did in a way that tried constantly to bring people together," Warner added. "That's sure not how it is in Washington."

His record, Warner knows, differentiates him from Hillary Clinton and the other senators he could face for the nomination.

"What the Democratic party needs to get back on its winning way is to have a vision for the future and show results," he said after the speech.

"As a governor, you're responsible. If the program doesn't work, you're responsible. ... That raises the stakes."

For Democrats, the stakes are high. Choosing the right message and messenger could lead them back to power. Choosing wrong could allow the Republicans to build an enduring majority.

"I've read the favorable reports about Warner. I'd like to see if his success in Virginia is transferable to other parts of the country," said Philip Grandmaison of Nashua, N.H.

"I'm looking for a candidate who can win a general election. Not much else matters if we can't get that."

Anybody got any info on this guy? I don't know all of his record/platform, but he seems like a McCain - would make a decent centrist president... but still not a libertarian.
I'm always leary of putting democrats in office, mostly due to their gun control laws.

Fluff and Stuff

I don't know much about him other than he increased taxes in VA.  Two of the things he listed as his biggest moves were to spend more on education and spend more on health. 

Bill Richardson is the most libertarian (hardly at all) Democrat trying to be the next President.  He is also doing badly in the poll but the polls are not even important at this stage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_U.S._presidential_election#Democratic_Party

Russell Kanning

Atlas

Quote from: russellkanning on February 13, 2006, 09:24 AM NHFT
I haven't noticed him .... have you guys?
I never pay attention to Dems and the GOP because there's about <1% chance that they may have anything libertarian to say and then actually mean it. This doesn't meet my threshold of the minimum 80% which I require to play their game.  Libertarian or Constitution parties only.  We'll see if the NH GOP is actually worth a crap.

CNHT

Quote from: aries on February 12, 2006, 06:21 PM NHFT
Anybody got any info on this guy? I don't know all of his record/platform, but he seems like a McCain - would make a decent centrist president... but still not a libertarian.
I'm always leary of putting democrats in office, mostly due to their gun control laws.

You have GOT to be kidding!

TAX AND SPEND AND MAKE GOVERNMENT BIGGER is what you should be thinking about this guy...that's a GIVEN never mind the gun laws.
It's a rare Democrat that is fiscally conservative. This guy would be suicide.

CNHT

Quote from: Dreepa on February 13, 2006, 01:22 PM NHFT
true... Also Bush is now called a tax and spend republican.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-02-09-gop-taxes_x.htm

Yes Bush is too liberal for my blood....especially with the spending. And he is too anti-liberty as well for other issues. But hell, he is still better than Kerry would have been when examined overall.

Kat Kanning

NOT!  Actually, I don't think there would have been any difference.

cathleeninnh

At the time, I didn't think it made much difference but favored the idea of gridlock. Now I lean even more toward the thought that Kerry would have been less damaging with a Republican Congress.

Cathleen

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: CNHT on February 13, 2006, 01:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: Dreepa on February 13, 2006, 01:22 PM NHFT
true... Also Bush is now called a tax and spend republican.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-02-09-gop-taxes_x.htm

Yes Bush is too liberal for my blood....especially with the spending. And he is too anti-liberty as well for other issues. But hell, he is still better than Kerry would have been when examined overall.
I think about this a lot, and, more and more, I question it.  We'll never know.

Dreepa

Lloyd Danforth

CNHT

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on February 13, 2006, 03:35 PM NHFT
Chris, you're such a Tool! ;D

Yeah get your fanny up here so's I can put you to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Ridley

well he's gotta be a liar if he says VA is the "reddest of the red states"   

tracysaboe

Quote from: CNHT on February 13, 2006, 01:26 PM NHFT

But hell, he is still better than Kerry would have been when examined overall.

That's open for debate.

Tracy