• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

How long before New Hampshire Secedes from the United States

Started by Russell Kanning, February 13, 2006, 09:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Please cast/change your vote as your level of optimism rises and falls.

KBCraig

I put "childrens' lifetime", because I don't think the U.S. will even exist at that point.

Kevin

vanguardist

I voted for in your lifetime, but will overlap with children's lifetime too. I'd give it less than 30 years. Maybe 20 if things continue to go downhill with D.C.

Lloyd Danforth

i can't believe the 'never' votes are surpassing my 'don't know' vote.

vanguardist

Well, "never" could be correct if the US ceases to exist, so then NH would be independent once again, but without leaving the Union. If the Union dissolves, then the answer, technically, would be never.

Caleb

In a recent Gallup poll, 5.9 percent of respondents said that they believe the federal government will fall overnight.   :D  Now that's optimism for you. OK, it wasn't a Gallup poll.  It was a Kanning poll.  But all those polling places are all pretty much the same.  Do you think our poll is scientific?

Caleb

Russell Kanning

maxxoccupancy

I also believe that the US Government will collapse like the Roman Empire before they give up this posession.  I believe that the DC establishment sees us as just that, as slaveholders see their slaves.  Our elected officials don't see themselves as public servants--they see us as the servants and our paychecks, homes, and businesses as their own personal fiefdom to rule over.

I wouldn't rule out the threat of Independence as leverage for dealing with the feds.  However, I think that independence can be gained immediately if large numbers of us move to a small country somewhere.  It would be a lot easier to turn Belize around that the US Government.  That's unfortunate, but true.  If people in the states read about a small country with largely libertarian policies working out just fine, it would have a more substantial impact on American thinking than our laboring just as hard to change a few, obscure seeming state policies.

--Max

vanguardist

I've had a change of mind. There are 5 things that are going to act together here:

1) More debt/more fiat money ---> lack of foreign support
2) Baby boomers are going to retire in 10 years or so
3) Asian dominance in...well...everything (or almost)
4) Domestic fascism (look around: need I say more?)
5) Militarism and failures overseas (more Middle East conflict? Asian conflict?)

So these things will most likely are going to be quite evident probably by 2010, so I'm going to now say, oh, less than 20 years. We'll see it. Grab your gold.

burnthebeautiful

Seeing the NH house react so strongly against Real ID has given me some optimism. If even the politicians are willing to resist an a national ID card even though it'll make life difficult, there's hope.

The Federal government is going to keep demanding states give away more and more of their self-governship. It's only a matter of time before one or more states gets fed up and a large portion of the state start demanding secession. Hell, in New Hampshire the demand for secession has already started.

Russell Kanning

citizen_142002

I think that a real popular movement for secession is still a ways off in New Hampshire. A lot of people still fly the American flag with pride, not because of the current incarnation of the federal government but because of the principles that it once represented.
People are devoted to the United States. Even if they feel that it is going downhill, they feel somehow obligated to support it. It will take a little bit more repressive action from the federal government to hear a few public grumblings on the street about secession. It will take a lot more before the public supports any open move of disassociation, or disobedience.
Sadly nationalism is still strong here, but that might change in time.

vanguardist

Quote from: citizen_142002 on April 20, 2006, 10:18 PM NHFT
I think that a real popular movement for secession is still a ways off in New Hampshire. A lot of people still fly the American flag with pride, not because of the current incarnation of the federal government but because of the principles that it once represented.
People are devoted to the United States. Even if they feel that it is going downhill, they feel somehow obligated to support it. It will take a little bit more repressive action from the federal government to hear a few public grumblings on the street about secession. It will take a lot more before the public supports any open move of disassociation, or disobedience.
Sadly nationalism is still strong here, but that might change in time.

Yeah. Give it time. Maybe 10-20 years. Who knows how things will be by then.

Kat Kanning

I suggested secession last night in an open meeting of non-freestaters.  I certainly wasn't shouted down, and one woman came up to me after the meeting and said she liked what I had to say.

Atlas

Quote from: katdillon on April 26, 2006, 11:32 AM NHFT
I suggested secession last night in an open meeting of non-freestaters.  I certainly wasn't shouted down, and one woman came up to me after the meeting and said she liked what I had to say.
Really, you're getting me excited.