• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ruuuuuuuuuussell ....

Started by Caleb, February 14, 2006, 07:35 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on February 15, 2006, 03:21 PM NHFT
Your seriously telling me that nobody working for the Feds will be mad if we burn a flag?

Sure they will, and in just about the same proportion as the population at large. It would make me mad, but I'd be mad because the flag represents me, not the collective group of idiots for whom I work.

Making me mad is not the same as making "Them" think you're "questioning their power".

Kevin

Russell Kanning

I am willing to risk what some people might think.

"Those who profess to favor freedom, yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will." ? Frederick Douglass

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on February 15, 2006, 08:01 PM NHFT
I am willing to risk what some people might think.

I understand that. I also think you're underestimating how many "some" might be.

There are people who would be angered at flag burning, who would otherwise be your supporters. Of the general population, those who cheer flag burning are almost certainly no friends of freedom.

Kevin

Caleb

So, Kevin, what do you think of the alternate idea of cutting out one star and one stripe?  I, personally, am coming around to that idea.  It's VERY good at explaining exactly what we want, without all the emotional drama connected to burning it.

Caleb

Lloyd Danforth

You only need the star.  The stripes only deal with the first 13 states.  They started to add a stripe for each new state, but, it go unmanageble.

Caleb

yes but NH was one of the original 13 ...

Lloyd Danforth

But was it a red stripe or a white stripe?

tracysaboe

Quote from: sandm000 on February 15, 2006, 03:49 PM NHFT

That being said, if you really want to kick 'em in the crotch, I like Tracy's idea of a NH flag above a (smaller) US flag

What does everybody else think about this?  I think it would send a bigger statement but wouldn't alienate the Constitutionalists, libertarians and other freedom lovers, and it wouldn't attract the support of the Hard Left like KB's worried about.

Tracy

Caleb

Tracy,

There are technical difficulties with your stunt.  Where are we supposed to fly these flags?  There aren't random flagpoles on every street corner.

I think people are afraid of offending people.  I don't think you quite understand that the goal of the stunt IS TO OFFEND.  Offending someone is the first step:  It gets people talking.  Ever heard the statement, "All publicity is good publicity".  We want people to talk about our little secessionist group over here.  At least, I do.  Ideas that are never heard are ideas that die.

Caleb

KBCraig

Quote from: calibaba77 on February 15, 2006, 08:30 PM NHFT
So, Kevin, what do you think of the alternate idea of cutting out one star and one stripe?  I, personally, am coming around to that idea.  It's VERY good at explaining exactly what we want, without all the emotional drama connected to burning it.

Caleb

I don't think removing a stripe is workable, but removing a star could make the statement well, without alienating so many people.

If you want to pursue this, I'd suggest a good flag with sewn-on stars, so that one could be removed carefully to leave just the blue field. Or draw up a flag, leaving one star off. This is a bit subtle, but it's a way of talking to people about secession without spitting in their faces.

I brought up Fred Phelps earlier. As Christians, you and Russell understand that the best evangelism is a living life as a testimony, showing people what God is. You don't win souls by beating them over the head with a King James and telling them they're going straight to hell.

Kevin

Russell Kanning

Actually I disagree..... I do beat people over the head with whatever translation is available and tell them they are in danger of hell.
http://www.livingwaters.com/good

So how many people have to be offended by a flag burn before I should not do it? Should I only go up against the feds if I have 5-10-50% on my side?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: KBCraig on February 15, 2006, 08:12 PM NHFT
I understand that. I also think you're underestimating how many "some" might be.

There are people who would be angered at flag burning, who would otherwise be your supporters. Of the general population, those who cheer flag burning are almost certainly no friends of freedom.

Kevin
If someone is angered by a flag burning then they are certainly no friends of freedom. Since when did freedom lovers become exclusively US flag lovers?

cathleeninnh

I amy be in the minority here, but I'm not into flag burning. It's just too "in your face" to mostly the wrong folks, ordinary ones. But I really like the message that removing a star sends, especially to the ordinary folks. It's not an angry statement, but a sad one. The union isn't what it was anymore. It isn't what it should be. We can mourn, can't we before setting about taking care of ourselves independently?

Cathleen

AlanM

I'm for a "DEclaration of Independence" type thing. Stating our reasons for dissolving our connection with the Union, then declaring our independence.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: russellkanning on February 16, 2006, 05:57 AM NHFT
Actually I disagree..... I do beat people over the head with whatever translation is available and tell them they are in danger of hell.
http://www.livingwaters.com/good

So how many people have to be offended by a flag burn before I should not do it? Should I only go up against the feds if I have 5-10-50% on my side?

Or, even the likely .001%