• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Dedication of a Tree of Liberty

Started by jcpliberty, February 03, 2005, 03:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jcpliberty

At a dedication of a Tree of Liberty in 1766...Silas Downer said:

"We do therefore, in the name and behalf
of all the true SONS of LIBERTY in America,
Great Britain, Corsica, Ireland or wheresoever
they are dispersed throughout the world, dedicate
and solemnly devote this tree to be a
TREE of LIBERTY.----May all our councils and
deliberations under its venerable branches be
guided by wisdome, and directed to the support
and maintenance of that liberty, which our
forefathers sought out and found under trees and
and in the wilderness. ---May it long flourish, and may
the SONS of LIBERTY often repair hither, to confirm
and strengthen each other. --When they
look towards the sacred ELM, may they be
penetrated with a sense of duty to themselves,
their country, and their posterity:--And may they,
like the house of David, grow stronger and stronger,
while their enemies, like the house of Saul,
grow weaker and weaker. AMEN

danhynes

We should put signs on liberty trees saying this tree is adopted by **** Like how on the highways they have adopt a highway :)

danhynes

I dont think we can actually adopt a tree, just put some signs up and hope the government doesnt take it down :) But yes your property is a good start :) Maybe some places would let you put up a sign for a small donation

jcpliberty

Quote from: freedumbinnh on February 03, 2005, 04:05 PM NHFT
How do you get to decide which trees you can "adopt"?
Or do you only do that on your own property?

Liberty Trees and Liberty Poles have already been establish in many cities and towns across New England by the Sons of Liberty in th late 1700's. We are only reactivating them.

JP

jgmaynard

There IS a Liberty Tree company here in Keene. I tried e-amiling them once to see if we could work withthem, and never heard back.

JM

Russell Kanning

The Liberty Tree company in Keene sells a new breed of elms (Liberty Elms) that are resistant to certain diseases. Karl might be able to use them for his beautification project in downtown Manchester. :)
The best way to dedicate a liberty tree is choose the best one in your town whether an elm or not. They had all kinds up and down the colonies. The last one died in hurricane Andrew I think in Maryland.

Russell Kanning

I need to put a sign on our liberty tree here in Keene.
Was it JP who made a laminated parchment type paper that would be good?

Lloyd Danforth

YeahItsMeJP

Russell Kanning

So do you still have a couple of those things?

Russell Kanning

citizen_142002

I think that a liberty tree would be a great idea, but we might not want to just all out use a tree. Someone might feel that we are hijacking the common if we plaster a tree with flyers and plaques.

It's a lot less romantic, but maybe more effective. You know those public message boards they have at some gas stations and stores? It might be a good idea to post upcoming events and the FSP and NHfree websites, in a place where natives who are not yet involved with us will read them.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: citizen_142002 on June 20, 2005, 11:13 PM NHFT
Someone might feel that we are hijacking the common if we plaster a tree with flyers and plaques.

>:D

jgmaynard

I've really been maning to call the Keene Historical Society and seeing if/where the Keene Liberty Tree was and replanting it if it is gone. :D

JM