• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Unbuildable land? (Part 2: Philosophy of land unwanted)

Started by Caleb, February 28, 2006, 01:14 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

So, the land I've been looking at, I got some more details on it.  Seems that the restrictions are all government.  It's basically a forested area on a mountain, don't know why they would consider that unbuildable.  It's not in a flood zone.  Under the heading "Restrictions:" the sheet lists "Mobile homes, temporary structures" ... so it seems to me this is some sort of guvment regulation, and not a real problem.  I'm debating buying it.  May make a great place to start my green building.

Caleb

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Caleb is just that clean .... or he packs in packs out.

Caleb

More info:

Beautiful land, folks!  I just went and scoped it out.  I also got the scoop from the real estate agent.  It isn't buildable because it doesn't have an OFFICIAL right of way.  Something about the road being private.  Which doesn't make any sense, because I deliver packages all the time to homes on "private" roads, and there is already a house on the "road" ... but for some reason the town won't issue building permits. 

If I decide to do it, I am going completely off the grid.  There's a tremendous amount of wind, so I'm thinking a wind generator will supply more than enough for my electrical needs.  Plenty of sun, too, and fantastic views.  Composting toilets should supply other needs.

It was funny because the real estate agent was trying to talk me out of it (he wanted to talk me into a much pricier spot of land, that he said was "much higher quality")  "The problem with the 8 acre land is that it is just too sloping.  This other land will be so much better if you want to hunt."  Perhaps so, but since I'd rather build illegally (without a permit) on a slope, I'm thinking the cheap property suits me wonderfully.

I'm getting excited.  Of course, its a long way from actually becoming ... but it is fun to think about.

Caleb

Russell Kanning

It also is windy today .... more than normal don't you think?
Others can comment on the landlocked idea.

Dreepa

So it is just the town that won't let you get the right of way?
Go to the town hall and see who owns the land.
Give the guy a couple of bucks and get yourself an easement.
Then the road can still be private and then you should be able to build.

One thing I have learned in the meetings I have been going to at town hall is that they make exceptions.
Go in nice and quiet and humble and you shouldn't have any problems.
They might be happy because the tax base will increase. (Don't tell them you may/may not be planning on paying them).

On another note.  You could just buy the land.  Talk to the person with the right of way. Give him a couple of bucks and then just stealth build. Beware if someone finds out because the fire marshall and/or build inspector might come out and shut you down.

ravelkinbow

If you can work it out with the owner that would be the best, just becareful to check out who the owner is...raging liberal will turn you in with the first hammer strike.  Remember that guy that has been having all the trouble building on his own land was originally turned in by his neighbors.