• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

the Constitution is dead... Funeral to be held on April 29th in Keene.

Started by NH_Geek, March 03, 2006, 10:59 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

One sign of the death of the Constitution:

" To lay taxes to provide for the general welfare of the United States, that is to say, ?to lay taxes for the purpose of providing for the general welfare.?  For the laying of taxes is the power, and the general welfare the purpose for which the power is to be exercised.  They are not to lay taxes ad libitum, for any purpose they please;  but only to pay the debts or provide for the welfare of the Union.  In like manner, they are not to do anything they please to provide for the general welfare, but only to lay taxes for that purpose.  To consider the latter phrase, not as describing the purpose of the first, but as giving a distinct and independent power to do any act they please, which might be for the good of the Union, would render all the preceding and subsequent enumerations of power completely useless.  It would reduce the whole instrument to a single phrase, that of instituting a Congress with power to do whatever would be for the good of the United States;  and, as they would be the sole judges of the good or evil, it would be also a power to do whatever evil they please.  It is an established rule of construction where a phrase will bear either of two meanings, to give it that which will allow some meaning to the other parts of the instrument, and not that which would render all the others useless.  Certainly no such universal power was meant to be given them.  It was intended to lace them up straitly within the enumerated powers, and those without which, as means, these powers could not be carried into effect.  It is known that the very power now proposed as a means was rejected as an end by the Convention which formed the Constitution.  A proposition was made to them to authorize Congress to open canals, and an amendatory one to empower them to incorporate.  But the whole was rejected, and one of the reasons for rejection urged in debate was, that then they would have a power to erect a bank, which would render the great cities, where there were prejudices and jealousies on the subject, adverse to the reception of the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

AlanM

Ah, convenience! Enslaver of mankind.

"It may be said that a bank whose bills would have a currency all over the States, would be more convenient than one whose currency is limited to a single State.  So it would be still more convenient that there should be a bank, whose bills should have a currency all over the world.  But it does not follow from this superior conveniency, that there exists anywhere a power to establish such a bank;  or that the world may not go on very well without it."
Thomas Jefferson

AlanM

"I wish it were possible to obtain a single amendment to our Constitution.  I would be willing to depend on that alone for the reduction of the administration of our government to the genuine principles of its Constitution;  I mean an additional article, taking from the federal government the power of borrowing.  I now deny their power of making paper money or anything else a legal tender.  I know that to pay all proper expenses within the year, would, in case of war, be hard on us.  But not so hard as ten wars instead of one.  For wars would be reduced in that proportion;  besides that the State governments would be free to lend their credit in borrowing quotas.  For the present, I should be for resolving the alien and sedition laws to be against the Constitution and merely void, and for addressing the other States to obtain similar declarations;  and I would not do anything at this moment which should commit us further, but reserve ourselves to shape our future measures or no measures, by the events which may happen.  It is a singular phenomenon, that while our State governments are the very best in the world, without exception or comparison, our General Government has, in the rapid course of nine or ten years, become more arbitrary, and has swallowed more of the public liberty than even that of England.  I enclose you a column, cut out of a London paper, to show you that the English, though charmed with our making their enemies our enemies, yet blush and weep over our sedition law."
Thomas Jefferson

AlanM

"Everything predicted by the enemies of banks, in the beginning, is now coming to pass.  We are to be ruined now by the deluge of bank paper, as we were formerly by the old Continental paper.  It is cruel that such revolutions in private fortunes should be at the mercy of avaricious adventurers, who, instead of employing their capital, if any they have, in manufactures, commerce, and other useful pursuits, make it an instrument to burden all the interchanges of property with their swindling profits, profits which are the price of no useful industry of theirs.  Prudent men must be on their guard in this game of Robin?s alives, and take care that the spark does not extinguish in their hands.  I am an enemy to all banks discounting bills or notes for anything but coin.  But our whole country is so fascinated by this Jack-lantern wealth, that they will not stop short of its total and fatal explosion."

Thomas Jefferson

TackleTheWorld

Jim and Lauren will be there.
We've got some "Funeral" stickers for the vehicles (stuck on with rubber cement for easy removal).

Russell Kanning

8)
I think I have found enough black to wear tomorrow. It will be a sad day.
But Kat is bringing potato salad for our picnic.

Lloyd Danforth

I don't know how formal I will be as i'm not sure where all my clothes are. I need an arm band.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on April 28, 2006, 11:01 PM NHFT
I don't know how formal I will be as i'm not sure where all my clothes are. I need an arm band.
In order to be all black .... I am going with sweatclothes. So I am going pretty casual. I don't own a suit anymore.

Russell Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Our condolences to the bereaved... we know the departed had been in a vegetative state for along time, perhaps in death it will find peace and comfort at last.

We are unable to attend the funeral... we will celebrate the life this document lived, remembering when it thrived and flourished.
Showing our respects by a moment of silence at the time of the internment, followed by firing back up the chipper and living our lives as free as we can on the mountain.

RIP
US Constitution
We will keep your memory alive in our hearts and actions.

Kat Kanning

Pat McCotter

Pat K

Great Job guys, nice coffin Lloyd. Lurans hubby, Jim looks like a secret service guy in that suit, I expected to see him talking into his sleeve.  ;D