• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

This is why I HATE the conventional media ...

Started by Caleb, March 03, 2006, 10:11 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

The Title of the Article:  Pentagon Releases Names of Gitmo Inmates.

Some Joe Schmoe just perusing the headlines on his Yahoo would think, "Oh, that's good.  They're finally doing the right thing.  Score one for the government!"

You actually have to read deep into the article to find out the fact that the Pentagon DID NO SUCH THING!!!!!!  They released TRANSCRIPTS, only a few of which actually had names, and even the names weren't helpful in identifying *who* exactly, is in custody.  But ... if you're just scanning the headlines, you get a very, very, very false impression.  ARRRGH! 

Am I the only one who thinks this is intentional?  Maybe its the cynical side of me, but I think that they choose headlines like this because they know most Americans are illiterate and won't bother to read the story to find out that the headline is a total lie.

"In most of the transcripts, the person speaking is identified only as "detainee." Names appear only when court officials or detainees refer to people by name."

DOES THIS SOUND TO YOU LIKE THEY RELEASED THE NAMES OF THE DETAINEES?  Only if you think they have 400 people named "Detainee" ... not a very common Arab name!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060304/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/guantanamo_detainees

Caleb

Russell Kanning

or maybe the person who wrote the piece didn't know what was going on ..... or thought they had released them. :)

KBCraig

Headlines aren't written by reporters. They're written by someone whose job it is to get you to read the article. Or more accurately, to get you to open the article, and see advertising along the way.

Kevin