• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

case study on successfull anarchist state...somalia

Started by Mrs. Concious, March 04, 2006, 11:02 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

John Edward Mercier

Not exactly, by 'raising fewer eyebrows'... it would simply be 'turning down the heat.'
Its largely the difference between minarchy and anarchy.

srqrebel

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on March 10, 2008, 03:15 PM NHFT
Not exactly, by 'raising fewer eyebrows'... it would simply be 'turning down the heat.'
Its largely the difference between minarchy and anarchy.

Of course... no disagreement there.  The impression that you are saying it as if "raising fewer eyebrows", "turning down the heat", and "minarchy" were good things, still remains ;) :P

Not that it really matters to me... everyone must reach their own conclusions, and I'm betting the longer you hang around here, the more closely our conclusions will match each others', in the long run :)

At any rate, you certainly do not come across as a complete statist, and I respect that.

John Edward Mercier

I don't view minarchy as good or bad... just an outcome of a societal mindset.
Its a habit of humans to propose societal mores to maintain a semblance of order.

A good open thought example would be driving on the right-hand side of the road. Some semblance of order is necessary to avoid accidents, but the actual rules are arbitrary.

The problem of course is the expansion of the minarchy into every facet of life, or even to a singularity.

J’raxis 270145

The question is, do you think these social mores should be universally imposed, or do you believe that people should be free to leave the place(s) in which they are, and do their own thing elsewhere? If it's the latter, than what you're really describing isn't minarchy at all, but anarchism, due to the voluntary nature of people settling in the place in which those mores are imposed.

I had a similar debate over this with Malum Prohibitum over on the FSP forum recently, and even though he strenuously claims he isn't an anarchist, he actually believes in this sort of voluntary and localized model of government, so he is. >:D

Russell Kanning

I agree my friend.
Maybe we will just have to let them have their pet titles ... especially if they actually live as voluntarists or anarchists :)
I would have never guessed a few years ago that anyone would call me an anarchist ... and I didn't even have bad connotations in my head about the term.

John Edward Mercier

An Anarchists believes in a Society of One. Mostly meaning that they chose not to impose their mores on others, and wish the same in reverse.

I find that many can agree with the principal, but have failings at its enactment. Its the nature of humans to be emotional, and thus irrational, in their response.

As for leaving one place(s) and travelling to another, not so much a problem if one accepts the conditions of the place they've travelled to. Most don't.

watershed

I would think that the West was settled by anarchy, local clans, natives, pilgrims, etc.
I also think that we could "resettle" here if many left because of a collapse in gov services. This will encourage others to go elsewhere for hand outs.

I personally know a family who left to Florida to seek more free stuff cuz he is simply lazy.

If the current economic situation fails, we would see an increase of agriculture and an agrarian life style, those particular efforts require hard disciplined work ...and with a low demand for foreign labor, the quality of life will endure. Less choice of goods perhaps but the long term is beneficial.

KBCraig

Quote from: planetaryjim on March 18, 2008, 10:04 PM NHFTWould you like to know more?

From someone such as yourself who actually knows the subject matter? Absolutely!

srqrebel

To planetaryjim... thank you for providing such detailed insight into the actual situation in Somalia.  These are all good things to know.

Quote from: planetaryjim on March 18, 2008, 10:04 PM NHFT
The subject header on this thread is colorful in itself "anarchist state" means...what?  Oxymorons do it without doing it, I guess.

LOL... I'm surprised I never noticed that on my own.  The term "anarchist state" is about the ultimate oxymoron -- just like the oxymoron "Free State", only more universally obvious ;D

watershed

picaro

How common is the government paper currency? 

How common is barter? trade with other currencies? trade with metals?

watershed

It doesn't sound like a vacation destination, but a grand adventure. What resources were needed for your trip? Simply something much more than a visa and your passport.

watershed

Honor and respect...something that should happen more in the US.

Do they encourage Western business? or see it as another opportunist ripping them off?
Must be lost of scepticism.