• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Fake ID/Are NH businesses strict with carding?

Started by burnthebeautiful, March 05, 2006, 09:33 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

burnthebeautiful

So I'm going to New Hampshire this summer, and when I'm in the state it'll be a few months before my 20th birthday. Being from Europe, I've been able to drink legally for years, and it's weird to me that I'll go back to being underage again.

So my question is, are NH bars and stores strict with checking ID? I'd love to be able to go to the bar and have a few beers, or buy a six-pack and go out to a park somewhere and drink a beer while listening to my mp3 player. Is it just a matter of going from place to place until somebody doesn't card me, or do I not have a chance in hell?

If I don't have a chance in hell, any chance somebody here would be able to help me get a fake ID?

KBCraig

Hang out with the right people, and you won't have to worry about ID.  :)

Kevin

burnthebeautiful

Who are these right people of which you speak? :P

Oh and I'll have to find somebody that sells moonshine, I don't want to support the government liqour stores.

aries

As it's been my experience, if you have facial hair, no, it's not really a problem.
I worked at a grocery store where most cashiers were under 18, and didn't often card.

aries

D'oh! I should have mentioned - we're close to Canada. The drinking age in Quebec is 18. You should have no problems going up there. The US border guard doesn't check ID or anything coming back if you answer their questions promptly without seeming suspicious. I went up with 3 friends, 1 was 18, to visit Montreal.

Coming back we took Main St in Derby VT instead of the interstate, and the guards there have usually been nice. That was the only time I've ever even been asked about alcohol, but I just said nope, we were checking out McGill university (90% true, we parked there and looked around before shopping).

So it's fairly lax, they won't search for it.

EDIT:
I should mention, getting into Canada via main st Derby/Stanstead was much harder. The guy asked if I had explosives and checked in my trunk. Strange the American patrol was lighter, but it was all good.
If they ask why you didn't take the interstate, just say you stopped for gas in the US (it's cheaper, and there's a station across from customs)

Russell Kanning

Maybe just party with others. :)
Rocketman brews his own .... I don't know if he will be up and running this summer.

burnthebeautiful

Is it technically illegal to go to Canada to drink, provided you're sober when re-entering The US? I'm 19 so I'm old enough to drink everywhere in Canada, but I can't be bothered making all that effort just to have a few beers at a bar, especially since they have a smoking ban, are more expensive than NH, and I wouldn't want to drive home after drinking.

I'll probably avoid bars and every now and then pay someone to go buy me a case of beer. I hate being carded when I'm not old enough, it may be silly but I'd rather not even try getting served than risk getting rejected. It's just a "thing" that I have.

PowerPenguin

Quote from: aries on March 06, 2006, 02:38 PM NHFT
D'oh! I should have mentioned - we're close to Canada. The drinking age in Quebec is 18.

Dude it's 19. Mexico is 18, and that's why all the HS and college students go there for spring break etc etc. I've lived near both borders (N and S), so I know. Incidentally, I'm going to be in BC this time around, albiet not exclusively for that reason. Perhaps NH shold lower the age to 18 let's say. That would bring in SO much revenue you don't even know. When the feds threaten to deny road funding, send them a thank-you card and a picture of yourself holding a huge Publisher's Clearinghouse-sized fake check representing the millions of $ in revenue you're getting since the other states are all 21!

aries

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on March 06, 2006, 10:44 PM NHFT
Is it technically illegal to go to Canada to drink, provided you're sober when re-entering The US? I'm 19 so I'm old enough to drink everywhere in Canada, but I can't be bothered making all that effort just to have a few beers at a bar, especially since they have a smoking ban, are more expensive than NH, and I wouldn't want to drive home after drinking.

I'll probably avoid bars and every now and then pay someone to go buy me a case of beer. I hate being carded when I'm not old enough, it may be silly but I'd rather not even try getting served than risk getting rejected. It's just a "thing" that I have.
Yes. You are required to follow all US laws while abroad, and can be prosecuted for breaking them when you're here, assuming you're a citizen.

Although, drinking is the least of their problem.

aries

Quote from: powerpenguin on March 07, 2006, 01:54 AM NHFT
Quote from: aries on March 06, 2006, 02:38 PM NHFT
D'oh! I should have mentioned - we're close to Canada. The drinking age in Quebec is 18.

Dude it's 19. Mexico is 18, and that's why all the HS and college students go there for spring break etc etc. I've lived near both borders (N and S), so I know. Incidentally, I'm going to be in BC this time around, albiet not exclusively for that reason. Perhaps NH shold lower the age to 18 let's say. That would bring in SO much revenue you don't even know. When the feds threaten to deny road funding, send them a thank-you card and a picture of yourself holding a huge Publisher's Clearinghouse-sized fake check representing the millions of $ in revenue you're getting since the other states are all 21!
Quebec is definitely 18.
http://www.reconsider.org/issues/public_health/Legal_Drinking_Ages.htm

citizen_142002

Studies have shown that up tp 20% of liqour sales in New Hampshire end up being consumed by individuals under 21 ;). As for an NH bar you might be out of luck.
I'm 18 now and the first thing I did February break was head to Montreal. The drinking age is definitly 18 although there is talk of changing it in a couple years. I never had to show ID up there except for the strip club.

You could try your luck upon coming back and smuggle a load of liqour. If you aren't a US citizen I wouldn't try it. Lancaster is only a couple hours from Canada. As for having to follow US laws abroad, Montreal is not within any US jurisdiction so what court could try you?
There is no standard drinking age in Canada. Different provinces have different laws. In Toronto it was 20, Montreal 18.
P.S. Possesion of small amounts of marijuana in Canada is also not illegal.

aries

Quote from: citizen_142002 on March 07, 2006, 08:46 PM NHFT
Studies have shown that up tp 20% of liqour sales in New Hampshire end up being consumed by individuals under 21 ;). As for an NH bar you might be out of luck.
I'm 18 now and the first thing I did February break was head to Montreal. The drinking age is definitly 18 although there is talk of changing it in a couple years. I never had to show ID up there except for the strip club.

You could try your luck upon coming back and smuggle a load of liqour. If you aren't a US citizen I wouldn't try it. Lancaster is only a couple hours from Canada. As for having to follow US laws abroad, Montreal is not within any US jurisdiction so what court could try you?
There is no standard drinking age in Canada. Different provinces have different laws. In Toronto it was 20, Montreal 18.
P.S. Possesion of small amounts of marijuana in Canada is also not illegal.
Lancaster is just about 1 hour, even at the speed limit.  :)
Colebrook is only 15 minutes.
Some bars up here won't card you though, so you could always TRY it.

Oh, and the US will punish you for breaking laws elsewhere if they are feeling pissy enough.
Like guys who go to Asia to have sex with 12 year old prostitutes, they can get punished here, but I don't know how common it is.

KBCraig

Quote from: aries on March 08, 2006, 02:02 PM NHFT
Oh, and the US will punish you for breaking laws elsewhere if they are feeling pissy enough.

But, that only applies to U.S. citizens. For a visitor, they might just refuse re-entry.

Kevin

Dreepa

Wait are you saying it is illegal for a US person that is 19 that is overseas say in London and they are not allowed drink under US law?

That is crazy!
Maybe all the US soldiers overseas should be arrested.

KBCraig

Quote from: Dreepa on March 08, 2006, 05:53 PM NHFT
Wait are you saying it is illegal for a US person that is 19 that is overseas say in London and they are not allowed drink under US law?

No, because that's not a federal law. But it would be illegal to hop across the water to Amsterdam and partake of legal marijuana.

It's a stupid law. No telling what it was designed for, but like all stupid laws, it winds up being misapplied.

Kevin