• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Sign the first 1000 Pledge

Started by citizen_142002, March 05, 2006, 10:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen_142002

I don't know if there is anyone reading this who isn't aware of the initiative, but I'm posting just in case anyone has missed it. You'll find all the information on the FSP homepage. They're looking for people to pledge to move before Jan 1, 2009 in sort of a mini-FSP. I know a lot of you have plans to move before that date anyway, so why not sign the pledge. Membership growth in the FSP has been flagging and I think it is because many people need to be convinced it will make a difference. I believe that there are enough liberty lovers out there who like the concept, we just have to show them that it's feasible.
Plus those of you who have already made the move can sign the pledge.

KBCraig

http://www.pledgebank.com/first1000

Our little buddy signed:
"This is great. I already live in NH, and I'm not a FSP participant....but I can still sign. Free at last!
fisher at 19:14, Friday 13 January."
:glasses7:  ;D

Dave Ridley

aries

10 bucks says Ian is gonna show up here whether or not 800+however many more people sign that pledge :p

Dreepa

Also if you know any early movers.. makes sure you mention it to them. They can sign too.

PowerPenguin

I can't leave my current area for another couple of years (spring '08), and after that I would probably have to work my ass off during the summer and/or fall while finding work/somewhere to live in NH (I'm assuming Concord barring unforseen circumstances). I want to be able to move there before the end of '08 but I'm not 100% sure that that will be the case. Would it be immoral to sign the pledge if I'm not at least 90-95% certain that I'll be able to make it?

KBCraig

Quote from: powerpenguin on March 07, 2006, 01:18 AM NHFT
I can't leave my current area for another couple of years (spring '08) . . .  Would it be immoral to sign the pledge if I'm not at least 90-95% certain that I'll be able to make it?

Spring 2008 is my most probable move date. Not many of us can be sure beyond 80-90% that we'll make the move when we plan, because unforseen circumstances can always pop up (medical emergencies, family crises, business crashes, legal difficulties... you name it.)

And even knowing that nothing is certain, I'm signer #100 on the First 1000 pledge. I appreciate that you're hesitant. The FSP 20,000 goal is admirable, but we have no idea how many signers really mean it (or even remember signing after the buzz wore off). I think --at least I hope-- that the First 1000 signers are more serious.

We've got a plan for moving, and a backup plan as well. We've thought out what it will take to get our butts to NH. At best (barring sudden weath), we'll be there in late 2007; at worst, we'll be there in late 2008. That's a pretty broad range, one we're confident we can make.

If you're confident that you can make it, then sign up. I view the First 1000 as the "FSP Participants Who Really Mean It, Come Hell Or High Water". If that fits you, then wear the shoe!

Kevin

FTL_Ian

Quote from: aries on March 06, 2006, 05:49 AM NHFT
10 bucks says Ian is gonna show up here whether or not 800+however many more people sign that pledge :p

I'll be there by August this year.  You can send the $10 to me via http://amp.freetalklive.com  ;)

KBCraig

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 07, 2006, 02:57 AM NHFT
I'll be there by August this year.

Remote broadcast from Roger's Campground? If you're going to be moved by August, might as well be bragging about it by June!  ;D

We'll be at Roger's. Along with everybody who is anybody. Even podcasters.

Kevin

Dreepa

Quote from: KBCraig on March 07, 2006, 02:28 AM NHFT
We've got a plan for moving, and a backup plan as well.

I think every Porc should have a plan.
I know that Kevin has one. Tracy has one.

I think the plan is the key.  Figure out what you need to do to get to NH.  Whether it be a job waiting, learning a skill, getting out of debt... whatever.  I wonder how many of the 7K have a concrete plan.. whether it be in writing or in their head. 

tracysaboe

Sadly my plan is in the broad range of sometime in 2009, so I really can't honestly sign the pledge.

But when I come I'll bring my wife. She's not am anarchist like I am and not as hard core, but she's definitely libertarian. So count 2 for 2009.

Tracy

PowerPenguin

For me, the 'vital statistics' for my decision are as follows:

Motivation: 100%
Financial Security: ~75%?*
Ability to Move Proper: 90-100%

*I'm a college student who's historically only worked part time during most of my career so far, so I don't have the same kind of financial security that some of the more established middle aged-"old" Free Staters do. I do have marketable job skills, though. Do any of you guys know of someone who has been in my situation and already moved that I could get in touch with? I work for money, but hell I'd even be fine w/ being someone's apprentice in exchange for room & board if need be (this should give an indicator of my sincerity about moving and being active btw :D).

Also, how much does it typically cost to move from one corner of the country (S. CA) to the other? I have a few thousand dollars that are liquid at the moment, but that's it. By '08 I should have more (maybe 5K) to spare for this, but it's better to have an estimate than not, you know?

Thespis

Quote from: powerpenguin on March 07, 2006, 02:02 PM NHFTAlso, how much does it typically cost to move from one corner of the country (S. CA) to the other?

That depends on how much you plan to bring with you, and whether or not you move yourself, or get movers.

PowerPenguin

I don't have a lot of crap... We'll see what happens. If my cousin still has his big pick-up, I could probably get him to use that. It's not a big deal right now, I'm just curious as to what others have done for future reference.

Dreepa

Tracy,

We know you will get here... at least you have  plan. Did you wife sign up for the FSP?

Penquin,

What sort of job are you looking for?
Also it really depends on how much stuff you have.  A trailer full of stuff will be like $5K.  Do you have a car?  When I moved from DC to LA I rented a 6X9 trailer attached to my car and it was about $800.
Plus gas, tolls, hotels etc...
You could easily move for under $5k.