• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Pre-1965 silver coins for sale

Started by Dave Ridley, March 12, 2006, 04:08 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Mark Twain once said: "buy land; they've stopped making it!"

Well one could also say  "buy pre-1965 90% silver coins; they've stopped making them!"

I have some  pre-1965 50 cent pieces and antique dimes for sale which I just bought...I don't have much but will be buying more as soon as I can find some more. i am asking $7.50 per dollar of face value.  Offer is good until April 1.  just nod at me and i'll deliver, and you can pay me, when we see each other next. 

I like the 50 cent pieces and the really old dimes since the dimes have a totally different look from the ones they make now, and the 50 cent pieces aren't made any more at all.  It doesn't take much convincing to convince people that an ancient looking dime is worth 60 to 80 cents!  or that a 50 cent piece is worth 3 to 4 bucks!   I also like the fact that these coins provide a way to spend silver as small change rather than only having one ounce increments.

All are in fair to poor condition, but of course that is what you want in junk silver since it proves their authenticity.   

NH_Geek

:)  I bought a bag of old dimes a few years back to serve as a sort of emergency currency when the fit hits the shan.  Don't recall the total weight off the top of my head, but it's volume is approx 3 or 4 softballs.  Paid around a grand for it.

Thespis

My granddad left me some coins when he died years ago.

I've got some silver dimes, and half-dollars. And, I've got some Ben Franklin half(?)-dollars, which I think are silver.

I'll have to dig them out and take a look at them again.

I don't know that I'd ever sell them, though.

Thespis

I finally went and looked. I do have a few silver coins. I've got a 1962 Franklin Half Dollar, a 1942 Liberty Half Dollar, seven 1964 Kennedy Half Dollars, one 1943 Mercury Dime, and one 1938 Mercury Dime.

I have to say the best looking coin out of the bunch is the 1938 dime. None of the features have been rubbed down or anything, and the dark tarnish really accentuates the features. Here are some pics of it. The scan doesn't even really do it justice, though.

The Kennedy half dollars are pretty badly tarnished though. It wouldn't hurt the value if I cleaned them with a silver cleaner or anything, or do you think it would better to leave them in their natural state?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: NH_Geek on March 17, 2006, 02:32 PM NHFT
:)  I bought a bag of old dimes a few years back to serve as a sort of emergency currency when the fit hits the shan.  Don't recall the total weight off the top of my head, but it's volume is approx 3 or 4 softballs.  Paid around a grand for it.

Weigh it, multiply by .90 and you have the value in silver.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on March 25, 2006, 03:43 PM NHFT
Quote from: NH_Geek on March 17, 2006, 02:32 PM NHFT

Weigh it, multiply by .90 and you have the value in silver.

Multiply face value by .71 and you have the troy ounces in .999 fine silver.

Lloyd Danforth

That would be easier if you didn't have a scale and you wern't dealing with a lot of coins.

Dave Ridley

<<Multiply face value by .71 and you have the troy ounces in .999 fine silver.>>

does this apply to pre-65 dimes, quarters AND 50 cent pieces?

Pat McCotter

Quote from: DadaOrwell on March 26, 2006, 09:29 PM NHFT
<<Multiply face value by .71 and you have the troy ounces in .999 fine silver.>>

does this apply to pre-65 dimes, quarters AND 50 cent pieces?

Yes. This is where I got the wording.

http://lynncoins.com/jsilv.htm
==========================================
Older United States silver coins (1964 and before) are now in demand because of their silver content. (Many were melted down years ago.) At one time these were referred to as -  junk silver - because they had no special collector value at the time.  Junk silver is still used today to refer to old silver coins.   However, times have changed.  Today "junk silver coins" are becoming harder to find.   
   A $1.00 worth (face value) of silver dimes weighs the same (and has the same silver content) as a $1.00 in silver quarters, which also weighs the same as $1.00 in silver half dollars.  For example 10 dimes, 4 quarters, or 2 halves all have the same weight and are 90% pure silver composition.  A typical dollar face value in US silver coins will contain about 71 % of a troy ounce of pure refined silver. These circulated silver coins are considered by many as a good way to invest in silver. These are sold by some coin dealers in bags of $1,000.00 face value per bag.  Many customers have asked for smaller quantities at economical prices. So, here they are!     
==============================================

Then looking for weight and composition I found these at sammler.com. It looks like 72.4% of face value

Silver dime
1946 - 1964: 90 % silver 0.0724 oz. ASW
Weight: 2.5 g
Size: 17.9 mm

Silver quarter
Weight: 6.25 g
Composition: 90 % silver 0.1809 oz. ASW
Size: 24.3 mm

Silver half-dollar
1948 - 1963: 90 % silver, 10 % copper
Weight: 12.5 g

PowerPenguin

Quote from: Thespis on March 25, 2006, 01:02 PM NHFT

Wait a minute... Is that a fascia on the back of that coin? I hope I'm mistaken!

Pat McCotter

PowerPenguin

If anyone's interested, I'm auctioning off a 1 troy pound commemorative replica of this coin. It's on ebay and is .999 fine silver (solid not plated!). The auction ends in less than a day so if you want cheap collecting pieces and/or bullion (at this size you could take it as either), now's the time to bid. It's actual value is about $150 but the current bid is 1/3 of that right now.

Happy Bidding-for-liberty,

Andrew :D

citizen_142002

I have a number of coins that I am looking to sell, some are silver, and some have collectors values.
If anyone is interested in old treasury notes I will be selling a 1901 Lewis and Clark commemorative note.
Australian Pennies
Crisp 2$ notes with the red seals
Morgan Silver Dollars from the 1880's and 1890's
Walking Liberty Silver dollars
A fairly complete set of Mercury Head Dimes 1916-1945
I have quite a few Kenedy 1/2$ Bicentennial Coins

Are the Kenedy 1/2s from 1964 90% silver? I have some of those I could sell too.

PowerPenguin

That's interesting. How many/what years/what condition are your Walking Liberties in? I still have more silver where my auction item came from (please see this URL for pics: http://libertarianactivism.com/pictures/rarecoins/), so if you'd be interested in a trade, I'd be willing. I also have a tad of gold and some Civil War era CSA war bond coupons that I'd be willing to trade if you'd like. I also have a '39 German 2-mark silver piece.

Right now I'm doing another e-bay auction here (Troy pound 1921 Peace Dollar replica this time)