• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Rape in Keene / Weapon Charity

Started by Kat Kanning, March 18, 2006, 08:54 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Looking at the crime statistics in Keene, we found that in 2004 the city had 10 rapes, which is higher than the national average/100,000 residents.  We'd like to help bring this number down.  We want to start a charity for donating money to arming women and training them in the safe use of arms.  People could donate money, training, guns, or other weapons.  We could ask people like Tony Lekas to come over and do gun training.  What do you think?

estoves

Nice idea.
I could donate some money if it will be possible to do it via paypal or something simular.

Kat Kanning

KBCraig

I think the first step is to sort out what is being reported as rape, since Keene is a college town. By that, I mean make sure we're talking about actual rape, not the "he looked at me without my permission!" college code of conduct version.

Next, in a college environment, there can be actual rapes (by moral and legal standards) where self defense, especially with a firearm, is highly unlikely. By that, I mean rape where the victim is simply unable to resist, by virtue of extreme intoxication. Doesn't make it any less rape, but there's no self defense tool that will help in that situation.

If you sort those out and are still left with cases where a woman could have resisted effectively if only she'd had training and tools available, then yeah, help educate them and equip them. A highly publicized "we'll fight back!" campaign might be a deterrent, too.

Kevin

Kat Kanning

I think we could be doing this even if there were zero rapes in Keene.

KBCraig

Quote from: katdillon on March 18, 2006, 11:44 AM NHFT
I think we could be doing this even if there were zero rapes in Keene.

True enough, and a good idea.

Caleb

I am offering a revolver and ammunition to the first credible person who claims it (from the Keene area of course).  I will be looking, specifically, for a woman who feels she is in a threatening situation, or has reason to fear for her safety, and would like to receive a free revolver to protect herself.

Dave Ridley

what about donating a weapon to a clear cut rape victim, publicly, as a publicity stunt?  And of course everyone there could be open carrying. 

Caleb

Quotewhat about donating a weapon to a clear cut rape victim, publicly, as a publicity stunt?  And of course everyone there could be open carrying. 

Well, if she requests it, sure.  I'm not going to try to call up a bunch of rape victims and try to bring up something they may be trying very hard to forget.

Dreepa

Caleb might be a good way to get a date >:D

Also not that some people might care... but is it legal to give someone a handgun?
If this is going to get publicity and it should you might want to check into that.

KBCraig

Quote from: Dreepa on March 18, 2006, 09:44 PM NHFT
Also not that some people might care... but is it legal to give someone a handgun?
If this is going to get publicity and it should you might want to check into that.

Private transfers (not going through a licensed dealer) in NH are legal so long as the recipient has a revolver & pistol license, or is known to the donor.

RSA 159:14
159:14 Exemption. – None of the provisions of this chapter shall prohibit an individual not licensed under the provisions thereof who is not engaged in the business of selling pistols or revolvers from selling a pistol or revolver to a person licensed under this chapter or to a person personally known to him.

Kevin

tracysaboe

Well, After you call her (him?) up and talk to her (It could be a him) then she's (really it could.) known to you.

Tracy

KBCraig

Quote from: katdillon on March 18, 2006, 09:06 AM NHFT
Cool.  Ya we could do paypal.

There's some irony to be had there.

eBay/Paypal has a strict "no firearms" policy, and they've yanked accounts for really lame reasons. Usually they're robo-yanks, which the company defends vigorously despite proof that the item in question didn't violate the user agreement.

I'd love to see some publicity that "Paypal leaves rape victims defenseless!" In, say, the Keene Free Press.  ;)

Kevin

Russell Kanning

Rape was just one of the reasons to offer this service.
Hopefully we will do so many transfers that the actual good done will far outweigh any need for "publicity stunts" ..... but if you want to do one .... go ahead.

Kat Kanning

I talked to Evan Nappen about this and he suggested a big 'firearms for the poor' push. :)