• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

drinking age

Started by maxxoccupancy, March 20, 2006, 08:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen_142002

The market CAN handle the restrictions, but as long as the state regulates the industry, the law will place the restrictions. I think we had the same basic posts on the pot thread. We're both headed for the same place, Ian, I just think the scenic route would be best.

d_goddard

There's a children's book my parents used to read to me, that now I read to my child: "The Bear Scouts".
In it, the bumbling Papa bear tries to show his bear scouts how to survive while camping, and winds up serving as a negative example in contrast to the Bear Scout Guidebook.

There's one section where the guidebook shows a map of the trail, marked 'Long Way'.
Papa Bear poo-poohs this and takes a "shortcut".
He ends up getting his arse torn by alligators, while the Scouts take in a nice scenic hike.

Yupper doodle!

KBCraig

Good article on MSNBC about lowering the drinking age.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20249460/

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: KBCraig on August 15, 2007, 12:47 PM NHFT

How difficult would it be for New Hampshire to simply forgo that 10% of federal highway funding?

Spencer

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on August 16, 2007, 10:19 AM NHFT

How difficult would it be for New Hampshire to simply forgo that 10% of federal highway funding?

Not very.  NH already gives up 5% per year because it doesn't want to boss adults around as to whether to wear motorcycle helmets and seatbelts (2.5% is lost for each).  The increased revenue from 18 year olds being able to purchase alcohol would make up for some of the shortfall.

burnthebeautiful

Interesting article, especially the clickable map that shows the under-21 alcohol laws in different states. I had no idea so many states allowed under 21's consume alcohol. I also didn't know that Louisiana had an 18 age limit way up until 1995. I knew they were the last state to change over, but I thought they only switched over to 21+ a year or two after the rest. Being the lone hold-out state for 7 years is pretty impressive. I heard that Louisiana figured they could pay for the loss in funds by the increase in alcohol sales and a boost in tourism from 18-20 year olds in general. I don't know if that didn't work out or if they just gave up fighting against the federal government.

dalebert

Quote from: earthhaven on August 15, 2006, 12:21 PM NHFT
Having a drinking age will inevitably lead to the abuse of alcohol. If alcohol is introduced at a young age I think that most people would get it out of their system under parental supervision. When I first started drinking I was an irresponsible drunk, but over the years I've become a "responsible" drunk . If I was introduced to alcohol at a younger age I don't think I would have had some of the drunken experiences I first had when I started drinking.  :occasion14:

When I was a kid, my uncle gave me a single puff from his cigarette after I expressed some curiosity about it. I coughed and hacked and hated it and woke up the next morning with vomit all over my bed. Now I'm 39 and remain a non-smoker. Surprise, surprise.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: dalebert on August 17, 2007, 07:46 AM NHFT
Quote from: earthhaven on August 15, 2006, 12:21 PM NHFT
Having a drinking age will inevitably lead to the abuse of alcohol. If alcohol is introduced at a young age I think that most people would get it out of their system under parental supervision. When I first started drinking I was an irresponsible drunk, but over the years I've become a "responsible" drunk . If I was introduced to alcohol at a younger age I don't think I would have had some of the drunken experiences I first had when I started drinking.  :occasion14:

When I was a kid, my uncle gave me a single puff from his cigarette after I expressed some curiosity about it. I coughed and hacked and hated it and woke up the next morning with vomit all over my bed. Now I'm 39 and remain a non-smoker. Surprise, surprise.

When my mom caught my brother smoking, I think he was 15 at the time, she made him smoke a whole pack of Tijuana Smalls and he liked it and continued to smoke until he was about 34. :-\ 

My grandparents gave me permission to smoke in the house when I was almost 15 and moved back up to Connecticut with them.  I remember they held a family conference talk about it and told me they'd only buy me 2 cartons of cigarettes a month.  I was so happy I never expected them to buy me cigarettes and let me smoke in their house. :)

dalebert

Quote from: raineyrocks on August 17, 2007, 08:54 PM NHFT
I think he was 15 at the time

They waited too long. I was about 4.