• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

drinking age

Started by maxxoccupancy, March 20, 2006, 08:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maxxoccupancy

Here's another unscientific poll.  Do we have some cosponsors in Cocord to help us with this one?  Is there a bill to push the drinking hour later in the night?

--Max

KBCraig

There shouldn't be "drinking hours" any more than there should be a "drinking age". Both lead to the same tragic abuses.

It goes without saying that the state doesn't have any business controlling either one.

Kevin

AlanM

Quote from: KBCraig on March 20, 2006, 09:01 PM NHFT
There shouldn't be "drinking hours" any more than there should be a "drinking age". Both lead to the same tragic abuses.

It goes without saying that the state doesn't have any business controlling either one.

Kevin

Well said, Kevin. I agree.

burnthebeautiful

I think purchasing and drinking should be differentiated. I personally think there should be a purchasing age, but not a drinking age.

Ron Helwig

I think that if there are going to be age limits, the drinking age most definitely should be lower than the driving age. Learn how to drink before you learn how to drive!

(Back on the net - two days without Internet access was rough)

BaRbArIaN

I don't mind a low drinking age or none at all as long as the penalties for abusing it are steep and enforced.

KBCraig

Quote from: BaRbArIaN on March 20, 2006, 10:28 PM NHFT
I don't mind a low drinking age or none at all as long as the penalties for abusing it are steep and enforced.

The problem becomes defining "abusing it". BAC isn't necessarily a good indicator of impairment. It's certainly not consistent from one person to the next.

My personal hard-and-fast limit is two drinks over the course of the evening if I'm going to be driving. I can drink more than that (a lot more than that) and still be completely functional, but I'm not risking it when it comes to driving.

Mary, on the other hand, can rinse with mouthwash 10 seconds too long and be tipsy. She's the original cheap drunk... half a glass of wine, and she's curling up under the table for a nap. Our 16 year old daughter inherited the same trait. For new year's eve, we let her have two Smirnoff coolers. Shortly after the second one, she stretched out face down on the cool kitchen floor, because it seemed like such a good place to be at the time.

"Abusing it", if you mean impairment, is not the same for one person at it is for another.

Kevin

Pat K

Yea me and Mary both, why after just 2 =6 packs lately I have been wanting to take a nap.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: Pat K on March 20, 2006, 10:53 PM NHFT
Yea me and Mary both, why after just 2 =6 packs lately I have been wanting to take a nap.

I'll bring the O'Douls to Porc Fest so you can stay up with all the late night activities!

Pat K

Id rather stick needle's in my eyes.

aries

Should not be up to the government.

Alcohol is an item that can be bought and sold, I dont believe in restrictions on its sale, even without parental consent.

That said, I dont think too many businesses will sell to children, but many already do.

BaRbArIaN

Abuse defined as harming someone or their property while under the influence, i.e. incapacitated or at least inebriated enough to impair safe driving, shooting or whatever applies.   Of course that means people would have to be held responsible for their own actions even under the influence, which chaffes at the current paradigm.

maxxoccupancy

Hey, thanks for the added voting options, guys.  I didn't think of those two; but does "Gov't shouldn't decide" necessarily preclude parents deciding for underage kids.  I've always accepted that one takes control of their own decisions at 18.  Until that age, parents have final say in their children's life.

--Max

KBCraig

Quote from: maxxoccupancy on March 21, 2006, 06:46 PM NHFT
Hey, thanks for the added voting options, guys.  I didn't think of those two; but does "Gov't shouldn't decide" necessarily preclude parents deciding for underage kids.  I've always accepted that one takes control of their own decisions at 18.  Until that age, parents have final say in their children's life.

--Max

I don't believe there's a magic moment at age 18 when rights inher. I believe parents have a say so long as they're providing for the kids, whether that's age 14 or 42.

Kevin

aries

Quote from: KBCraig on March 21, 2006, 07:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: maxxoccupancy on March 21, 2006, 06:46 PM NHFT

--Max

I don't believe there's a magic moment at age 18 when rights inher. I believe parents have a say so long as they're providing for the kids, whether that's age 14 or 42.

Kevin
My thoughts as well. The kids should be free to act outside their parents consent, but the parents are free to cut all support.

At a younger age, it would behoove parents to not stop providing for their children, lest they negligently cause their deaths.