• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

I've ridden a cruise ship to foreign territories without ID, this was when I was 16.

My mother didn't have any either, my father only did because he drove the rental car.

KBCraig

Quote from: russellkanning on June 09, 2006, 07:53 PM NHFT
Note that the TSA agent in charge accepted Jim's excuse of "I
mailed my driver's license home"... Perhaps in the future, the reason
"I live in New Hampshire" will also be sufficent to speed thru lines
with a quicker secondary search instead.

I wonder if "I live in South Dakota" worked in response to a demand for a driver's license before 1953? (SD was the last state to require DLs.)

Kevin

John

Just heard back from Concilor Griffin.

. . . "Rest assured that I am against, not in favor, of Real ID." . . .

d_goddard

Senator Gatsas, just to provide confirmation of what we've been saying

Is that wording your original, Russ? Or is there an attribution?

d_goddard

Quote from: John on June 10, 2006, 05:11 AM NHFT

8)

I hope he is aware that we are prickly about remembering who said what to our faces... and matching it up against how people vote!

ravelkinbow

Quote from: John on June 10, 2006, 05:11 AM NHFT

I really hope she votes that way.

Dreepa

We should try to get EVERY politician who is running this coming Election and ask their stance on it.
Get it in writing or on camera.

Then we can see who breaks their promise.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: AmerTownCrier on June 09, 2006, 09:39 PM NHFT
Nice Russell...very nice! Now a note: I received an email with a complete list of senators just before the vote. I emailed each one of them...only one was 'undeliverable'. If that list and notice to contact NH senators was from FSP or a participant...I'd like to get one when the occasion calls for it. As we all know, they ignored the people...but even if I'm not in NH...I will be one day and I may as well get my name in front of their face NOW!

This list of senators will be up-to-date with any changes.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/senatemembers.html

As will this list of reps (limited to "members with e-mail" - currently 343)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/email.asp

Russell Kanning

Quote from: d_goddard on June 10, 2006, 06:18 AM NHFT
Senator Gatsas, just to provide confirmation of what we've been saying
This is from Seth .... I forgot to tell you.
Is that wording your original, Russ? Or is there an attribution?

Dave Ridley

sending this to eaton, may send modified versions to the councilors.

---

Senator if you voted against the "Real ID Resistance Bill" out of fear that the feds might not let us on planes...

You should read the article below from Wired magazine.   It disproves, for the second time, the Federal threats that Gatsas and Sweeny were trying to pass along.  It proves Granite Staters can fly without ID nationwide and thus are not endangered by a refusal to go along with DC. 

But what I'd really like to see proven, is that you have some degree of courage, some commitment to the little people who you claim to represent.  Instead all I see is you voting to let us be branded and tracked like inventory, our dearest personal information splattered across thousands of bureaucrat desktops, our identities stolen more and more frequently.

Dave Ridley
Keene

Here's the article:   

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71115-0.html

The Great No-ID Airport Challenge

SAN FRANCISCO -- Jim Harper left his hotel early Thursday at 5:30 a.m. to give himself more than two hours to clear security at San Francisco International Airport. It wasn't that he was worried the security line would be long, but because he accepted a dare from civil liberties rabble-rouser John Gilmore to test whether he could actually fly without showing identification.
Gilmore issued the challenge at Wednesday's meeting of the Department of Homeland Security's privacy advisory committee <http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interapp/editorial/editorial_0865.xml> in San Francisco, which otherwise lacked much in the way of controversy. An entrepreneur and co-founder of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Gilmore recently lost a court battle <http://www.ktvu.com/news/6473925/detail.html> seeking to unmask the government's secret regulations asking passengers to show identification when flying, and to have those rules declared unconstitutional.
Scolding the DHS committee for dithering over small matters, Gilmore <http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,69774,00.html> said that it should be investigating the National Security Agency's eavesdropping program and that the committee's real job was to "protect the homeland from mean-spirited officials."
Gilmore then dared committee members to place their driver's licenses in the envelopes he had passed out, mail them to their home addresses and then attempt to fly home without identification.
While signs in the airport and on the Transportation Security Administration website <http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1254.xml> insist that showing ID is mandatory, the official policy, as revealed by the judges' decision <http://papersplease.org/gilmore/_dl/GilmoreDecision.pdf> (.pdf) in Gilmore's case, is that "airline passengers either present identification or be subjected to a more extensive search." But Gilmore said that's not what really happens in an airport when one refuses to provide identification.
"You will find out what the real rules are," Gilmore said. "Are you afraid to? You have good reason."
Gilmore referred to his own experience when Southwest Airlines refused to let him fly in 2002 without identification, and a recent blog post <http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001065.html> by travel expert Edward Hasbrouck, chronicling his near-arrest for trying to figure out if the person checking identification at Washington Dulles International Airport was an airline or federal employee.
At the meeting's close, Harper, a committee member, said he'd take the challenge so long as he could hand his envelope to a reporter who accompanied him to the airport. He also challenged the other members to join him.
"We have influence," Harper said. "I challenge my colleagues to believe in the law."
None of the other committee members volunteered, but the committee's chair, former director of consumer protection for the Federal Trade Commission Howard Beales gave Harper a tongue-in-cheek blessing.
"I wish Jim the best and hope to see you in the future," Beales said.
At 6 a.m. the next morning, Harper handed this reporter a green, self-addressed stamped envelope and entered the checkpoint line, which even at that early hour was filled with travelers facing a 20-minute crawl to the magnetometers.
Harper told the identification checker he had no ID, and the attendant quickly wrote "No ID" with a red marker on his ticket and shunted him off to an extra screening line -- generously allowing him to bypass the longer queue of card-carrying passengers.
There Harper was directed into the belly of a General Electric EntryScan puffer machine <http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/iontrack/prod_entryscan.html> that shot bits of air at his suit in order to see if he had been handling explosives.
TSA employees wearing baby blue surgical gloves then swiped his Sidekick and his laptop for traces of explosives and searched through his carry-on, while a supervisor took his ticket, conferred with other employees and made a phone call.
Meanwhile, a TSA employee approached this reporter, who was watching the search through Plexiglas, and said, "It's pretty awkward you are standing here taking notes," but he did not ask for identification or call for a halt to the note-taking.
The TSA supervisor returned from her phone call and asked Harper why he didn't have identification and to where he was traveling. But she was satisfied enough with his answer -- that he had mailed his driver's license home to Washington D.C. -- that she allowed him to pass.
At 6:30 a.m., standing 50 yards away on the other side of the glass screen, Harper phoned to say he now had two hours to kill, having gotten through screening perhaps even faster than he would have if he'd shown ID. He guessed he was able to get through without much hassle by being polite and dressing well.
Why did he take the challenge?
"Part of it was my concern with the growing use of identification checks to control access to society, such as buildings, stadiums and air travel," Harper said, referring to issues that are central to his recently published book called Identity Crisis <http://www.catostore.org/index.asp?fa=ProductDetails&pid=1441306>.
And will he do it again?
"Yeah, I'm inclined to do it more and more and hopefully more people will follow my lead and it will become a clear option to not show government ID to fly," Harper said. "My identity has nothing to do with the real risk.
"In fact, today, I'm the safest guy on the plane."</P

Dave Ridley

Got this from Executive Councilor Spaulding the other day

>
>David
> Thank you for your recent comments concerning the "Real ID" program.  I am very much opposed to this program and I will strongly oppose having the Executive Council accept any federal funds for its implementation in New Hampshire.
>
>   We have enough problems with our present system of orderly processing of drivers licenses without this added encumbrance.   In any event, the "Real ID" concept is a bad program for the federal government to be requiring the states to implement.  We do not need a national ID and we certainly don't want Homeland Security or the Division of Motor Vehicles to implement it.  The federal government can find better uses for their three million dollars.
>
>   Thank you for contacting me on this important issue.
>
>                     Cordially,
>
>                     Peter J. Spaulding
>

And my response:

Nice.   Thank you Councilor.

I'm passing this along to the NHfree.com forums, where the next demonstrations are being organized.   Those of us there are counting on you to resist the Federal pressure that is likely to come down on you, but I realize it won't be easy.   If there's anything we can do to help you fight 'em off, let me know.   We'd also welcome the names of any Federal officials who are giving you grief or trying to sway your vote.   That way we can at least shine some light on 'em.  They hate light.

d_goddard

Quote from: DadaOrwell on June 10, 2006, 09:34 PM NHFT
But what I'd really like to see proven, is that you have some degree of courage, some commitment to the little people who you claim to represent.  Instead all I see is you voting to let us be branded and tracked like inventory, our dearest personal information splattered across thousands of bureaucrat desktops, our identities stolen more and more frequently.

:clapping:

jgmaynard

So that's great - It means 4 out of 5 say they will vote with us? If that is true, that kills the program here!  8)

JM

d_goddard

4 out of 5 agreeing with us delays the program until the Feds do more arm-twisting, or offer us more money.

We're not safe until a bill is passed with language not too different from the original HB1582.

tracysaboe

It delays it untill the next Executive council ellection anyway.

ANybody contacting Govern Lynch about opposing it as well?

Tracy