• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: DadaOrwell on April 09, 2006, 08:34 PM NHFT
anyone know when the senators will be driving into the area or entering the state house? 

I'm thinking of standing somehwere with my sign.

Dog-gone Dave... he's everywhere, he's everywhere. ;D

Gonna bump your karma... someone just dinged mine  ??? (who'd I piss off this time?)

d_goddard

Quote from: citizen_142002 on April 10, 2006, 02:39 PM NHFT
Anyone know how it went?
I'd say it went well.
Everyone who gave testimony did an outstanding, amazing job.
About 10 people have testimony in favor; only 2 gave testimony against, and to be frank, the longer they spoke, the more credence they gave to the pro-HB1582 sentiment :)

My back-of-the-envelope notes suggest there's at least a chance this could come out of committee OTP. 6 Senators comprise the committee. Martel and Burling made no effort to disguise that they are in favor of the bill. I hear Hassan is for it. No idea about Roberge. Kenney wasn't there (I don't think), I have no idea how he'll vote. Barnes' questions suggested he's against, but I'm not sure of that either.

Pat McCotter

anyone know when the senators will be driving into the area or entering the state house? 

Dave,
I didn't see this earlier so this is for future info. Since there are only 24 of them the Senators park in the garage attached to the LOB. I know the lower level is entered from Park St. I think the upper level is entered from Capitol St.

Friday

Dag nab it, doesn't anyone know what the committee decided??  Or did they not make a decision today?

d_goddard

Quote from: Friday on April 10, 2006, 07:43 PM NHFT
Dag nab it, doesn't anyone know what the committee decided??  Or did they not make a decision today?
No decision today, just hearings. I think the committee votes among themselves tomorrow.
Keep an eye on the Senate Calendar, or better yet just enable tracking for yourself on this bill over at generalcourt.org:
http://generalcourt.org/bills/2006/HB1582/tracking

tracysaboe

Quote from: Roger Grant on April 09, 2006, 08:59 PM NHFT

Dog-gone Dave... he's everywhere, he's everywhere. ;D

Gonna bump your karma... someone just dinged mine  ??? (who'd I piss off this time?)

Yeah, mind just randomly dropped 8 points also. I think we've got trolls again.

Tracy

Tom Sawyer

Mine was generously refilled (and then some). Guess I got to do something to "earn" them.

Gave ya a bump. :D

John

I think that the numerous "REAL ID" issues were made VERY clear to the commitee by representatives of the numerous groups!

I think that nobody (including Mr. Sweeny) made much of a case against this.
I think Mr. Sweaany gave just enough testimony to give some senators a phony "out."
I don't think Mr. Sweeny even said anything would REALy be safer . . .
I am afriad that some senators can be "bought" with federal phony money!
I think we need to start to think about what we do if some senators cave in to this federal BS. TO ME THIS IS THE BIG ISSUE!

Sen. Peter Burrling sure did not welcome me with open arms when I was on my way here, but I was sure glad to see him today!  I'll bet he was sure glad to see my friends (and me) today!

We can hope.  We can hope!

FTL_Ian

Quote from: John on April 10, 2006, 11:23 PM NHFT
I think we need to start to think about what we do if some senators cave in to this federal BS. TO ME THIS IS THE BIG ISSUE!

Resist, Refuse, Dissent, Disobey.

Dreepa

Quote from: John on April 10, 2006, 11:23 PM NHFT
I am afriad that some senators can be "bought" with federal phony money!
Sen Gatsas has a quote in today's paper that seems that way.
When the article is put online I will post it.

d_goddard

Quote from: Dreepa on April 11, 2006, 07:11 AM NHFT
Look at all the groups that this article mentions:
http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060411/REPOSITORY/604110322/1043/NEWS01

God bless the Concord Monitor, that dirty, crappy, yellow-dog rag, and may god grant them the integrity to at minimum to a damned 30-second google search to verify their story one day!

* they mention "Doug Gorman of the NHLA" (it's Don Gorman)
* "dozens of men and woman" (ok, I'm a grammar nazi on the web. But I do expect newspaper editors to correct poor grammar, dammit!)
* they fail to mention that Sweeny's was the only testimony against the bill, and that at least 1 Senator and 2 current State Reps (Vallaincourt and Kurk) testified for it, along with nearly a dozen private citizens!

Stuy Gryphon

Hi, first post from an angry long-time lurker.

I don't know if anyone testified about this, but aside from the state constitution, REAL ID also violates these NH laws:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/260/260-10-b.htm
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXI/263/263-40-a.htm

More coverage:

http://www.nhpr.org/node/10534

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Say+no+to+national+ID%2C+senate+urged&articleId=5a5fa4fe-0bba-4322-91f4-51b124fd0feb
Without Real ID, a New Hampshire family would need passports to fly to Florida, Sen. Jack Barnes, R-Raymond, pointed out.
"How do we tell a family of five that they have to spend nearly $500 on passports to go to Disneyworld?" he asked.

Nearly $500? That makes no sense. The kids in a typical Disney-bound family wouldn't be old enough to have driver licenses, federally-approved or not. I wonder if the rest of his statements were this illogical.

KBCraig