• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen_142002

Are there other organizations besides CASPIAN involved? If not, are there other organizations that spring to mind who might want to attend?

Russell Kanning

At the moment, we don't know if Caspian is involved.
hmmm ... about other ones.

aries

I do remember, and I am going to send my reps more letters as soon as I learn about the committee decision.

It takes reps a long time to get emails, I know Gallus has an intern do all his for him, I usually don't get replies for a while.

Calls are excellent as well.

d_goddard

Quote from: citizen_142002 on April 11, 2006, 10:50 PM NHFT
I think that if we want this vote to go well, another round of letter writing and phone calls is imperative. I know that I've written a few senators about this issue.

Excellent!

BTW, there was a message from Don Gorman to members of the NHLA that I'll pass along. Paraphrasing:
If you live in Manchester or Hooksett, please contact Senator Gatsas. He's your Senator, and he's the key to this whole deal. If you live anywhere in NH, it's probably not a bad idea to send a polite, respectful, short email or (even better, if you send it this week) snail-mail to him ASAP, letting him know that you are for HB1582.

Some suggested talking points (please use your own words!):

• NH Law already affirms your right to privacy, by not requiring Social Security numbers or picture ID on your driver's license. We should not cede these rights to the Federal Government.
  • Despite the scare tactics, reasonable folks do not believe that over 1.2 million New Hampshire residents will be unable to board planes or drive to other states. Both of these concerns were fully refuted & de-bunked at the Committee Hearing.
  • The promised $3 million in Federal money is not expected to cover even the start-up computer system costs. NH Taxpayers will be left footing the rest of the bill. If the DMV needs money, let's put up a bill that does that directly, without Federal strings.
  • What happens when the Federal database get botched? Who do you go to to complain about wrong information in your record? How much damage will that cause to innocent people? Surely you or someone you know has had a phony charge on a credit card at some point in their life... what happens when you need to get someone from Washington DC to correct the problem?
  • While the danger may seem remote now, why set ourselves, or more likely, our children, to be taken advantage of by some future government? Surely we have learned our lessons from the history of Germany, the Netherlands, China, and other states with Real Identification of their citizens?!

Dreepa

Ok just send a round of emails to all the Senators.

Of course I gave them the link to my LTE in the CM:

http://concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060406/REPOSITORY/604060352/1029/OPINION03

Friday

Updated info on this issue:

"HB 1582 was not voted on today by the Public and Municipal Affairs Committee.  That means that the earliest the Committee can vote on it is when it next meets, Wednesday, 4/19, and the Senate will be unable to vote on it on 4/20, and will thus be able to vote on it on 4/27 at the
earliest.  The upshot of all of which is: THE APRIL 22nd RALLY MATTERS!!"

and from KatherineinNH:

I spoke to Sheila Roberge today and when I asked when the Public and Municipal Affairs committee was going to exec the bill (i.e., take a
committee vote before sending it to the full Senate) she said, "Not for several weeks."  This confirms what Tim has said, that our rally event
will take place before (and have an influence on) the full Senate vote.  :icon_pirat:

Tom Sawyer

This seems to be spread between threads, for us folks that aren't able to keep up with you hard chargers ;)

It can be tough to know all that is going on.
Heck I thought the FIRE BRIGADE was ya'll probably talking about private fire protection ;D

Massive Protest Against National ID on April 22nd
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3348.120

Tom Sawyer

The 22nd looks to be a necessity... Friday has sounded the call over on one of the other threads dealing with this issue.

Real ID bill (HB1582) hearing in senate for NOW APRIL 10TH!!!
http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?topic=3312.60

Friday

Quote from: russellkanning on April 12, 2006, 06:36 AM NHFT
At the moment, we don't know if Caspian is involved.
hmmm ... about other ones.

Russell, what the hell?   ???

Quote from: Michael Fisher on March 29, 2006, 10:21 PM NHFT
What: Massive Coalition Protest Against National ID
When: Saturday, April 22, from 11am-1pm.
Where: State Capitol Building, Concord

NH CASPIAN is coordinating a coalition RALLY from 11am-1pm at the State Capitol in Concord on Saturday, April 22nd.

Quote from: NH Katherine on April 03, 2006, 05:08 AM NHFT
I believe the 22nd is still on.
(At least we all still want it to be -- and we're the ones putting it together :)

-K.

aries

Quote from: Friday on April 12, 2006, 07:24 PM NHFT
Updated info on this issue:

"HB 1582 was not voted on today by the Public and Municipal Affairs Committee.  That means that the earliest the Committee can vote on it is when it next meets, Wednesday, 4/19, and the Senate will be unable to vote on it on 4/20, and will thus be able to vote on it on 4/27 at the
earliest.  The upshot of all of which is: THE APRIL 22nd RALLY MATTERS!!"

and from KatherineinNH:

I spoke to Sheila Roberge today and when I asked when the Public and Municipal Affairs committee was going to exec the bill (i.e., take a
committee vote before sending it to the full Senate) she said, "Not for several weeks."  This confirms what Tim has said, that our rally event
will take place before (and have an influence on) the full Senate vote.  :icon_pirat:

Alright, I was kind of on the fence, but I really want to try and make it to the rally. I will just bring a sign or something, but I want to help it be as BIG as possible.

Edit- I forgot about work  :(

Friday

Quote from: citizen_142002 on April 11, 2006, 11:03 PM NHFT
Are there other organizations besides CASPIAN involved? If not, are there other organizations that spring to mind who might want to attend?

Yes, there are numerous other organizations involved, including

> Coalition of New Hampshire Taxpayers,
> Democracy For New Hampshire, 
> NH Second Amendment Sisters,
> NH Constitution Party,
> Republican Liberty Caucus of NH,
> ProGun NH,
> Dover Citizens for Sound Government,
> Libertarian Party of New Hampshire,
> NH Citizen's Alliance,
> NH Liberty Alliance,
> NH We the People,
> The Liberty Conspiracy

and, of course, the ubiquitous Free Staters. Only we must operate as free agents, cuz the FSP isn't a POLITICAL organization, don'tchaknow.   :crybaby2:

Please check out http://www.granitestateid.com for more info, as well as fliers you can print and distribute at will.  If you are a member of any group that you think could get some people to the rally on the 22nd, please do so!!  Tell all your friends and neighbors.  You can also donate cash to help cover the expenses of the rally.

Tom Sawyer

I'm following Lady Liberty into the fray, thanks for taking the lead Friday.

Sounds like a good photo op... can we get a lot of folks to fill the frame? Nice setting, good chance for national exposure.

My question to the crowd... 'are you going to the happening man?'  :icon_pirat:

Tom Sawyer

citizen_142002

Is there a way we can start a sign up or "we'll be there" page for the rally. Sometimes it's just difficult to get a sense for numbers through the threads. Maybe a poll question would be the best way to get raw numbers. Are you going to the RealID rally on April 22? And have people answer yes, no, or maybe.
How exactly do you create a poll on this forum?

citizen_142002

I'm just trying to establish how many people from the forum plan on attending the rally, so that we all have a better picture in our minds of how large the rally is shaping up to be.
Just keep in mind that many people from outside the nhfree.com group may be coming, so this is a very low and tenative estimate.