• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ridley

Senate vote on Wednesday May 3rd.

From Jenn:

The plan is to show up Tues and Wed morning from 7:30am - 9:30am and stand near the parking garage holding signs...It would be cool if some where home made and said "I will not vote for anyone who supports Real ID"  If we could get a couple of dozen people to do this it will speak to them.
I have to get to work, now and would love it if someone could take up organizing this for me.  Please e-mail me if you can help.  On Wed we will all go in and sit in the galley to watch the vote, we have reason to believe it will be the first one of the day about 10am.

Remember be nice, the reason the smoking bill failed was because they got nasty with the Senators and lost them with that and form letters.  If we are nice they can't get mad at us and it makes it harder to go against us and with washington.

------

To find out the latest on the senate real id , hb1582 situation , head to the end of this thread.  Last i heard the senate committee votes april 26

-----

Rally in support of HB1582, opting NH out of Real ID
Saturday Apr. 22 11a-1p
State House, Concord (Louden and Main)

If turnout at the senate hearing on Apr. 10 was any indication, this will be a pretty big rally.  I've never seen so many Liberals and Conservatives and libertarians come together so resolutely to oppose something evil.

Apr 22 will be a full fledged publicity stunt, probably including some kind of concentration camp theme.  CASPIAN may also try to make it something of a national event with folks coming from all over. 

The goal is to put pressure on the senate to pass HB1582 or, failing that, to at least shine the spotlight on the evils of national ID and on NH as the "resistance leader" against it.

aries

Yes!

If this passes... it seems like it can almost make up for all the other BAD bills that have been passing.

1984IsNow

I'll be there.
With reinforcements.

Atlas

jgmaynard

My grandfather fought and was injured at the Battle of the Buldge so that we would never have to hear "Your papers, please" in this country....

JM

1984IsNow

One of many reasons we need to make ourselves heard about this.
They are already instututing ways to keep tabs on us in this state that have already begun (namely the e-z pass system), we can't keep letting more things happen. 
And one of the worst things about this system is that it is only a gateway to much worse things.  If this happens, how much more is to come?
I'd rather not find out.

aries

I'm going to try to come, and bring a libertarian friend.

Should I bring a sign?

Kat Kanning

Yes, bringing a sign is a good idea.

1984IsNow

We should come up with some clever ideas for things to write down.

aries

Quote from: 1984IsNow on March 24, 2006, 08:16 PM NHFT
We should come up with some clever ideas for things to write down.
"1984... doesn't have to be now."

;)

Dave Ridley

sent this to amy who is designing the visuals for the handout on this

-----

Here's a draft of the half page handout announcemnt.  Joel may have corrections.

RALLY AGAINST FEDERAL ID

Do you like dealing with the IRS and other federal agencies?   Then you'll love "Real I.D."  It's a Washington scheme to make you carry an expensive, Federally-imposed identification card...a card which could eventually track your every move.   "Papers, please!"

Fortunately, the New Hampshire House...led by Rep. Neal Kurk of Weare...has voted to *defy* Washington and keep our state out of the Real ID system.   This will save us millions of dollars and help preserve *your* privacy.

But power-hungry DC bureaucrats are not ready to let New Hampshire keep her freedoms without a fight.   Their goal is to kill Representative Kurk's bill in the state senate.  And they will succeed if you do not join the fight.  Here's how you can help:

Come to our rally on April 22.   We and privacy advocates of all political stripes will descend on the State House in Concord that day to urge our senators:  Stand up to the Feds.  Tell them we will not go along with their unfunded, unconstitutional Real ID mandate.  The nation looks to New Hampshire for leadership on matters like these.  We must not let them down.

What:  Rally in favor of House Bill 1582, which would prevent New Hampshire from participating in "Real ID."
Who: NHCASPIAN (www.NHCASPIAN.org) and every group we could think of to invite. 
Where:  New Hampshire State House, 107 N. Main St., Concord NH
When:  11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Saturday, April 22, 2006
Why:  To prevent higher spending and taxation, to keep lines from getting longer at the DMV, to prevent the federal government from more easily tracking *your* activities.
How:  To make our point, we plan to set up a mock Federal concentration camp and demand "papers please!" from anyone who wants to enter or leave it.  Other symbols of protest may include "Real ID tattoos" on our forearms and "Real ID armbands."  Bring your own symbols and costumes if you like, but most of all bring YOU!

Contacts:  _____

Amy:  The image i think would best go with this wording would be a picture of a person's forearm , containing the numbering and lettering that you would see on a holocaust victim.  But instead of the numbering it could say "real ID"

another option would be a jewish star armband that says real id but still includes the star.   but i like the forearm better.  maybe if tehre were barbed wire in the pic that would help too.

I don't know who to list as contacts, i will leave that up to you and joel.

Dave Ridley

what needs to be written next, who do I send it to and what is the deadline?

aries

Hearing; April 10, 2006, Room 103, State House, 10:30 a.m.

Anybody going to go and testify? I'm afraid the senate will be harder to win over on Real ID. I think part of the house's reason for passing the bill was the great testimony given on it. I haven't heard back yet from my senator (Gallus), and I doubt I will.

Unfortunately I'm going to be sitting through some compulsory government education in English at the time this bill comes to the floor of the senate. I hope a few free staters can be there with it to help it pass!

Dreepa

We need to get everyone emailing all the Senators on this just like we did with the Reps for HB1177( and should still be doing to the Senators).

We should keep a tally of who replies and whether they are in favor or not.

aries

Still no word from Gallus. I'll email him again... I'll send one to a few other senators too.