• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Man, I wish I could be there.  This sounds like a great event to capture on video.  I hope Roger will be busy busy.   ;D

Friday

Quote from: TN-FSP on April 14, 2006, 06:15 PM NHFT
I hope that I can do something to get you to say something like that to me.  I love honest people.

First things first, grasshopper.  You still need to rent Kill Bill (both volumes) and Spirited Away to understand my avatar references.  ;D

Dave Ridley

I got a nice not back from Senator Larsen who expressed concern about Real ID and invited me to email her again with more info; but she did not pledge to vote one way or another.  Here is the note I sent back, with Mike Fisher's ideas in mind:

---

Thanks Senator!

I'd actually like to know if there is anything I can do to help *you,* at least in terms of information.  I understand Senators are always understaffed and overwhelmed, so feel free to delegate to me any information hunting you may want done on this issue.

I went to the hearing you refer to; it was standing-room-only, overwhelmingly pro-1582.  I've never seen local liberals/libertarians/conservatives come together so harmoniously.

The only arguments I heard *against* the bill were references to federal threats or bribes (i.e. the threat to make us put disclaimers on our DL's and the totally insufficient 3 million dollar grant). 

The good news is that - like Gandhi - we win either way, so long as we don't back down.  If we pass 1582 and the feds back off, we win right away and the whole nation may then step back from the cliff.  If we pass it and they punish us, the publicity will rally some portion of the nation to our cause.  Our good reputation among average people and nationwide sympathy for our suffering, if any, will carry us through.

But if we waver God save us. 

There will be a fairly big rally on the 22nd at the State House to show our support for the pro-1582 Senators and shine the spotlight.  Consider yourself invited!

Details:

http://forum.soulawakenings.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=4c9ffb1b741204ba771a70094ee25d0a&topic=3348.0

Dave Ridley
NHfree.com
Keene
721-1490

Lloyd Danforth

Damn! I thought your avatar was 'Friday' from the cover of the book of the same name.

Michael Fisher

The best counter-argument I can come up with against the "loss of our $3,000,000 grant" argument is this:

"So what you're saying is, you know that refusing to cooperate with National ID is the right thing to do, but you're too much of a coward to do it?"

Lloyd Danforth

KBCraig

Economic arguments in favor of federal funding never point out the money spent to get the money. States and cities almost always have to spend more than the grant amount, producing a net loss.

Friday

It is, Lloyd!!  But I have different avatars on MySpace.  You should get on there. Don't worry about being the oldest guy there; Charles Darwin is on my Friends list and he's gotta be, like, 160!!  :o

d_goddard

I am sorry.
I truly hope you will accept my apology.

Quote from: Friday on April 14, 2006, 06:01 PM NHFT
#1) Please don't tell me what to do. Ever.
I feel a bit like Malcolm Reynolds is giving me a scolding. Ouch! Not a good place to be.

#2) You misinterpreted my statement.  I said absolutely nothing about being rude to Senators.
I understand. In my defence, I did state explicitly that you were not advocating rudeness, nor that you ever would.

#3) I find your posting the audio of the Smoking Ban Senate vote at me a little lame
The entire post, and the linked-to audio, was intended for hypothetical people who might be taken up with the spirit of the protest, and, being in high spirits, might do or say something that would, when viewed later, have crossed the line to disrespect of the opposing side (especially the Senators in question), thereby unintentionally effecting the opposite of the intended result of the protest itself. You were not the intended audience of my pontificating. No specific person was.

Hoping for peace some day, despite my blunders...
:fingerscrossed:

Russell Kanning

Forget it Denis .... she is going to throw you in the clink along with me on the 22nd. I have a bad feeling about this event. There are going to be way to many jackbooted thugs there.

Dave Ridley

probably not a bad idea for ALL of us to read the bill in case we are asked whether we've read it.  fortunately it's short.

-----

STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Six

AN ACT prohibiting New Hampshire from participating in a national identification card system.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 Prohibition Against Participation in National Identification System. The general court finds that the public policy established by Congress in the Real ID Act of 2005, Public Law 109-13, is contrary and repugnant to Articles 1 through 10 of the New Hampshire constitution as well as Amendments 4 though 10 of the Constitution for the United States of America. Therefore, the state of New Hampshire shall not participate in a national identification card system; nor shall the department of safety amend the procedures for applying for a driver?s license under RSA 263 or an identification card under RSA 260:21.

2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect 60 days after its passage.

Russell Kanning

Pat McCotter

And here is the relevant part of Public Law 109-13:

Section 202. Minimum Document Requirements and Issuance Standards for Federal RecognitionBeginning 3 years after enactment, prohibits a Federal agency from accepting, for any official purpose, a State-issued driver's license or identification card unless the State is issuing driver's licenses and identification cards that conform to the standards specified in the new law.

-These standards require a State to include, at a minimum, the following information and features on each driver's license and identification card issued to a person by the State:

--The person's full legal name;
--The person's date of birth;
--The person's gender;
--The person's driver's license or identification card number;
--A digital photograph of the person;
--The person's address of principle residence;
--The person's signature;
--Physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes; and,
--A common machine-readable technology, with defined minimum data elements.

-States must certify their compliance with the new standards to the Secretary of Homeland Security. The Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of the Transportation, may prescribe regulations establishing the time and manner of the certifications.

-States must require, at a minimum, presentation and verification of the following information before issuing a driver's license or identification card: 1) a photo identity document, or other identity document if it includes both the person's full legal name and date of birth; 2) documentation showing the person's date of birth; 3) proof of the person's SSN or verification that the person is not eligible for an SSN; and, 4) documentation showing the person's name and address of principle residence.

-States must require evidence of lawful immigration status before issuing a driver's license or identification card to a person. A State may issue a temporary driver's license or identification card to noncitizens who are temporarily present in the United States.

-States are required to verify, with the issuing agency, each document required to be presented by the person to obtain a driver's license or identification card.

-States must confirm with SSA the full Social Security account number presented by a person to obtain a driver's license or identification card. In the event that a Social Security account number belongs to another person to whom any State has issued a driver's license or identification card, the State must resolve the discrepancy and take appropriate action.

Russell Kanning

d_goddard

Quote from: russellkanning on April 15, 2006, 03:22 PM NHFT
Forget it Denis .... she is going to throw you in the clink along with me on the 22nd.
That sounds fun. Let's stage a dramatic escape ;)

Quote from: russellkanning on April 15, 2006, 03:22 PM NHFT
I have a bad feeling about this event. There are going to be way to many jackbooted thugs there.
I hear there's a cop named "Grant", ya gotta watch out for him... they say he'll show no mercy!