• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

d_goddard

Phoning all the Senators seemed to help with the Smoking Ban, so I'm pinging them now about 1582.

I just spoke to Senator Barnes on his home phone.

He said (convincingly) that he has not made up his mind about HB1582 yet.
The best pro-1582 arguments for him seemed to be:
a) the Feds have tried to use money to coerce NH before, for example, with Highway funds, the Metric system, etc. They have no right to do so.
b) The Federal legsilation was tacked on as a rider to a "must-pass" unrelated bill. It did not follow the democratic process appropriate to the nature of the bill

The most convincing arguments AGAINST 1582 relate to "national security".

He's an (R) and needs to be convinced, REAL-ID will *definitely* hugely impact our lives, and is at *best* a small improvement on Security.

Note: he already knew the 9-11 terrorists had valid ID. He needs to be convinced that terrorists would get "valid" ID, even with all of the extra hoops introduced by REAL-ID.

Michael Fisher

The rally conference call is now on. If you're invited, call in!

Michael Fisher

There are concerns about the GraniteStateID logo:

Can someone please replace the eagle in the logo with a vulture like this?

;D

Michael Fisher

I need help organizing a meeting with the Concord Monitor's editorial board.

Is anyone here in Concord that would like to help?

All we need to do is schedule a meeting with their editorial board and bring together one of us (extremely anti-National ID) as well as someone from the left and right.

dawn

We won't be there on 4/22 (prior plans) but I did talk to Senator Eaton who told me he has received some type of communication from Judd Gregg asking for support of national ID.

Russell Kanning

I think all of the Republicans will start getting "the call".

Who has "concerns" about using the presidential seal?

Dreepa

Quote from: d_goddard on April 18, 2006, 07:07 PM NHFT
Note: he already knew the 9-11 terrorists had valid ID. He needs to be convinced that terrorists would get "valid" ID, even with all of the extra hoops introduced by REAL-ID.

Money can get anyone an id.

citizen_142002

We need Democrats and Republicans to attend this aswell. It would make it a lot harder for the senators to dismiss the protest as a bunch of "crazy anarchists". Signs that read "A Republican against National ID" or "A Democrat for HB 1582" could go a long way towards influencing the senators, and the media always seems to cast a glowing light on "nonpartisan" coalitions.

Michael Fisher

Quote from: citizen_142002 on April 18, 2006, 10:28 PM NHFT
We need Democrats and Republicans to attend this aswell. It would make it a lot harder for the senators to dismiss the protest as a bunch of "crazy anarchists". Signs that read "A Republican against National ID" or "A Democrat for HB 1582" could go a long way towards influencing the senators, and the media always seems to cast a glowing light on "nonpartisan" coalitions.

We're trying to get speakers from around the political spectrum. For now, it seems like we might have an excess of the right's perspective unless our new speakers come through.

Michael Fisher

BTW, we're going to take special care of the press this time. I'll be preparing and handing out full press kits, which is akin to handing a reporter's article to them on a silver platter, with the result that minimal effort will be required to complete their articles about our event.

Katherine Albrecht will be dealing with all video press and other reporters when she's not speaking (her speech is only 10 minutes). She is the resident expert at dealing with the press, especially video press, so leaving this task up to her is our best chance at good coverage.

If anyone's planning a publicity stunt, please let me know the details so I can add all of it to the press kit while preparing Katherine so she can educate reporters about it as well.

d_goddard

Quote from: dawn on April 18, 2006, 08:31 PM NHFT
Senator Eaton who told me he has received some type of communication from Judd Gregg asking for support of national ID.
Barnes said the same thing.  ???

d_goddard

Quote from: Dreepa on April 18, 2006, 09:09 PM NHFT
Amen! But yer preachin' to the coir...
If you haven't already, please tell it to the (R) Senators ;)

d_goddard

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Dreepa on April 18, 2006, 09:09 PM NHFT
....even better .... the US government can supply their "terrorists" with ID.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: russellkanning on April 18, 2006, 07:35 AM NHFT
We could maybe coordinate the SW NH convoy.
Lets see....

Captain Liberty
Sgt Wilco and batman
Kat, Kira and me
Lloyd
Nick
2 nazi pretenders
I think Nick needs a ride to Concord on Saturday.
Our car is full with Kat, Kira, me and Lloyd.
We could pick up Nick if someone else could take Lloyd from our house to Concord.