• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Rearden on April 26, 2006, 04:46 AM NHFT
According to Associated Press reports, the House Judiciary Committee sent two staff members to Concord yesterday, armed with letters from Representatives Bradley and Bass, to twist the arms of our elected state senators and lobby them to vote against HB 1582, a bill to forbid our great state from participating in the so-called REAL ID Act.
Can you do this for the Keene Free Press?

Ron Helwig

My big problem with the coverage is this:

QuoteA weekend rally featuring Real ID opponents in Nazi uniforms

There was no attempt to explain that the opponents in Nazi uniforms were parodying. It can be misconstrued to read that Nazis are against Real ID.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: KBCraig on April 26, 2006, 06:29 AM NHFT
Quote from: Rearden on April 26, 2006, 04:46 AM NHFT
According to Associated Press reports, the House Judiciary Committee sent two staff members to Concord yesterday, armed with letters from Representatives Bradley and Bass, to twist the arms of our elected state senators and lobby them to vote against HB 1582, a bill to forbid our great state from participating in the so-called REAL ID Act.

Rearden, this needs to be a letter to the UL and Monitor. Please send it.

Excellent work!

Kevin

Or a guest article op. in the UL.  It is good.

Ruger Mason

Quote from: John on April 26, 2006, 01:26 AM NHFT
. . . If we lose this vote, I'll asume the worst of any/all in our congressional delegation who has/have not taken a clear PUBLIC stance with us.

They have.  Bradley, Bass and Gregg are all gung-ho for REAL ID.  Bradley and Bass are cosponsors.  Sununu stands alone in opposition.

Anyone else love that our controllers in DC sent a lobbyist to butter up our New Hampshire Senators, at taxpayer expense no less?

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Ruger Mason on April 26, 2006, 08:34 AM NHFT
Quote from: John on April 26, 2006, 01:26 AM NHFT
. . . If we lose this vote, I'll asume the worst of any/all in our congressional delegation who has/have not taken a clear PUBLIC stance with us.

They have.  Bradley, Bass and Gregg are all gung-ho for REAL ID.  Bradley and Bass are cosponsors.  Sununu stands alone in opposition.

Anyone else love that our controllers in DC sent a lobbyist to butter up our New Hampshire Senators, at taxpayer expense no less?

If they travelled to influence the legislation on the public dime that might be a violation of law. I remember... was it MPP going after a similar thing.

Michael Fisher

Breaking news: HB1582 passed the Senate Committee.

Michael Fisher

Voted "Ought to Pass" 5 to 0 (out of 6, 1 absent). The vote required about 25 seconds to occur.

Dreepa

wow
That means that 8 people not on the committe need to agree.
Nice!

Michael Fisher

This should make the politicos quite happy. ;)

As an ancap, I just want to decrease the consent of the governed. After the bill passes, the popular culture will probably follow it as doctrine -- recent history proves this effect. Through this type of change, consent for the US government will be weakened while consent for the New Hampshire government will be strengthened. If that's what you want, then today is a day to celebrate.

I wonder why, even though we had an acceptable turnout, most people at the protest were our libertarian friends. Where was the general public? Why don't they care?

FSPinNY

Most things turn out like a Bell Curve. We're happily out at the edge!  ;D

KBCraig

Quote from: FSPinNY on April 26, 2006, 10:25 AM NHFT
Most things turn out like a Bell Curve. We're happily out at the edge!  ;D

Some of us are out at the edge of the Art Bell curve.  ;D

Kat Kanning

Michael Fisher

Quote from: katdillon on April 26, 2006, 11:22 AM NHFT
When will the full senate vote on this?

Probably after they've extracted as much money as possible from the lobbyists.

davemincin

Quote from: katdillon on April 26, 2006, 11:22 AM NHFT
When will the full senate vote on this?

It is scheduled for a vote next Wednesday.  Given the backlog, it may not come
up for a vote until Thursday.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Michael Fisher on April 26, 2006, 10:21 AM NHFT
This should make the politicos quite happy. ;)

As an ancap, I just want to decrease the consent of the governed. After the bill passes, the popular culture will probably follow it as doctrine -- recent history proves this effect. Through this type of change, consent for the US government will be weakened while consent for the New Hampshire government will be strengthened. If that's what you want, then today is a day to celebrate.

I wonder why, even though we had an acceptable turnout, most people at the protest were our libertarian friends. Where was the general public? Why don't they care?

Sheeple!