• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

I had a request for video footage that is needed today... from Denis Goddard.

I have copied the tape and am willing to deliver it. Someone that knows where it needs to be delivered to please PM me.

But, I need an answer quick.

Kat Kanning

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: katdillon on April 26, 2006, 01:20 PM NHFT
He's not in the porc directory.

Thanks Kat how about Sandy or would it be NHCaspian

I called and e-mailed Jenn Coffey (per Denis's PM)

This kind of derails a work day so I'd like the effort to be worth it. :)

update:
Got contacted by Jenn Coffey, thanks.

Now need to make this stuff into different formats.

tracysaboe

Quote from: Rearden on April 26, 2006, 04:46 AM NHFT
According to Associated Press reports, the House Judiciary Committee sent two staff members to Concord yesterday, armed with letters from Representatives Bradley and Bass, to twist the arms of our elected state senators and lobby them to vote against HB 1582, a bill to forbid our great state from participating in the so-called REAL ID Act.

There are so many things wrong with this that it's difficult to know where to start.  The greatest wrong is that the House Judiciary Committee in question wasn't the one across the hall from the senate, but was in fact the one in Washington, D.C.  Using taxpayer money, our taxpayer money, Congress flew two government lobbyists here to our state for the express purpose of interfering with our elected state government.

Wow.  I'm speechless. 

How dare they?  How dare those people come between us, the people, and those we elect to represent our wishes?  Our nation was founded upon the ideals of federalism, in which the state and federal governments operate in their own spheres and each respects the province of the other.  I knew this proven and effective form of government has been increasingly eroded in favor of a centralized bureaucracy, but I did not realize how far we had fallen. 

What makes it even worse is that Bradley and Bass, who we elected largely to protect us from stupid and blundering federal policies, betrayed we the people by joining with these lobbying attempts.  Have they no shame, no decency, no recognition of their proper role?  How could they attempt to interfere with the internal decision-making of our state government? 

Those senators who met with these staffers, these taxpayer-paid lackeys, these congressional toadies, should have had the fortitude to eject them from their offices, physically if necessary, reciting constitutional passages as they did so like Moses screaming down the ten commandments from the mountaintop.  Instead, they spent all day with them, fawning over their arguments and in awe of their federal majesty.  For over six hours, they sat and listened to these congressional goons.  Tell me, when was the last time your state senator gave you six hours?  One hour?  Twenty minutes?

HB 1582 began as a very important bill to protect our freedoms and liberties from an increasingly over-reaching and over-powerful federal regime.  The bill will protect us from the federal mandate of a national ID card, to be required for travel within the United States and entry to all federal facilities from airports to the corner post office.  I did not believe it possible it could become even more important, but it has done so.  Even more important than REAL ID itself is the question of the proper relationship of the state government to its bloated federal counterpart.  HB 1582 has become the yardstick by which our state senators will indicate their loyalties.  Those that remain faithful to their oath to the New Hampshire Constitution and to the people of this great state must vote in favor of our freedoms, our sovereignty, and our federalist system of limited government.  Those that vote against this legislation reveal themselves to stand with Bass, Bradley, and the rest of Congress in opposition to all we revere. 

Let the votes be counted, and the names taken down.  They are either patriots or traitors.  There is no middle ground here.

You should send that letter to the editor.

Tracy

tracysaboe

Quote from: Michael Fisher on April 26, 2006, 10:21 AM NHFT
This should make the politicos quite happy. ;)

As an ancap, I just want to decrease the consent of the governed. After the bill passes, the popular culture will probably follow it as doctrine -- recent history proves this effect. Through this type of change, consent for the US government will be weakened while consent for the New Hampshire government will be strengthened. If that's what you want, then today is a day to celebrate.

I wonder why, even though we had an acceptable turnout, most people at the protest were our libertarian friends. Where was the general public? Why don't they care?

It's a step in the correct direction.

Tracy

KBCraig

Quote from: Michael Fisher on April 26, 2006, 10:21 AM NHFT
I wonder why, even though we had an acceptable turnout, most people at the protest were our libertarian friends. Where was the general public? Why don't they care?

Most of them don't pay attention, and either don't know about it, or are only vaguely aware and don't understand the impact.

Protests like this are designed to inform the general public about the issue, as well as to deliver a message to the politicians.

Kevin

cathleeninnh

Quote from: Rearden on April 26, 2006, 01:01 PM NHFT
Can anybody tell me the senator who was absent?  Or, tell me the names of the senators who were there? 

Was Gatsas there?  I heard he opposed the bill, but if he was there and voted for it then he's changed his mind, probably as a result of more information.

Wow, three weeks ago I thought this bill was dead, even after it passed the House.  I have to give everyone credit for really pushing this bill to the forefront of people's minds.  I kind of sat this one out, except for making some phone calls and sending some emails, since I was exhausted from the cigarette bill. 

Thanks, everybody.  It's not over yet, but I want to tell everyone who has participated how much I appreciate their hard work and time spent on this.  WOW! 

No, Gatsas isn't on the committee.

Mailing List of Committee Members
Chairman: Sheila Roberge (r)
Vice Chairman: Margaret W. Hassan (d)
John S. Barnes Jr. (r)
Joseph D. Kenney (r)
Andre' Martel (r)
Peter H. Burling (d) 

That's 4 rs and 2 ds

John

Surprised, then twice stunned - all within seconds
(btw this is much more than you need to know, but hey, what the heck.)

So I didn't sleep well, drove to Concord early, at 8:30 I picked a nice sunny spot in front of the State House, on the sidewalk corner where many cars pass with State House plates on them . . . with my tri-corn' hat & brand-new Gadsen flag (I figured my old faded on was not bright enough for today) I engaged in much conversation with folks passing for nearly two hours.  The last conversation, with a guy from California who had moved to the Free State ahead of the Project (in 1998) was quite interesting, and he was finally getting around to what he thought was the only real solution to what has become of our country.  He said we need to "drop out of the system" - as he did when he moved here. He wondered if I had ever heard of an author who was kind of philosophical and had started objectivism.  I told him I was just reminded of part of Atlas Shrugged today with the news of the boys from Washington coming here to twist arms . . .Well it was now 10:20 and I had to go, we exchanged names, and I told him of one way to find and make contact with many of us.

As I entered the State House I was stopped by a fellow asking which room we should be going to for this vote, the security guard was saying that the vote had been on the 10th and that there was no hearing on this today (but that he could be wrong because thing sometimes change) . . . I pointed to 103 and said to the fellow looking for directions "We are going right there."  I told him that he should go right in, and that I'd be right back. (I was making a rest stop before getting stuck in a boring committee room for hours.)  I saw my state senator and we quickly greeted each other.  I rounded the corner to room 103 and everyone was now in the hall.  What a surprise!

Then I was sure I heard, "You missed it. They voted 5 - 0, not to pass."  I was Stunned!

"Not a single person voted in favor?" I asked.  "No," I was was told, "The vote was 5 - 0 that it ought to pass."  I was Stunned again! . . .

The sun is now high in the cloudless bright-blue afternoon sky, the flowers are in bloom, a Blue-jay and two Red-winged-Blackbirds just flew by . . .

Turned out to be a very nice day today!  Much, much nicer than I ever expected.  I think I'll sleep much better tonight.  (I sure hope it is this nice again next week.)

I can not say THANK YOU enough to all the guys and gals who made this happen!  You are heros!

John

I know that Gatsas was in the building, because I saw him.

I saw a fellow who (was on the committe the day of the hearing) pass (towards room 103 from the front door) through the crowd of supporters and media after it was over.  He seemed to be in a hurry to get there.
I don't know who he is other than to say that he sat on the right side, almost directly across from Sen. Burling, he was probably the heaviest of the bunch and not very tall, and that he left for a short time during the hearing and then came right back.

Not sure if he was the one absent because I was absent for the full 25 seconds also.

davemincin

davemincin

The folks were in Concord yesterday passing out a letter from Senator Sunnu, basicly saying he was very much against REAL ID.

Know for a fact that each Senator got the letter.

Shoot me, I probably spelled his name wrong! ;D

intergraph19

They passed the bill in committee with a 5-0, unanimous endorcement!

We went in and sat down, standing room only, and they could see us all from the ajoining room.  They had a short, whispered conversation about it and then voted on 1582 as fast as they could to get us all out of the room.  It's amazing how intimidating a room full of eyes can be.  Goes to vote on the senate floor Wed or Thurs of next week.  I believe the NHLA has the same plan for those days, meet in the Cafitiria at 9am Wednesday morning.

Russell Kanning

8)
See we are making progress against the beast .... some of us can't even spell committee .... next we will forget how to spell bureaucracee here in NH. But we do know how to spell and live "Free" :)

d_goddard

Quote from: John on April 26, 2006, 02:08 PM NHFT
I can not say THANK YOU enough to all the guys and gals who made this happen!  You are heros!
John, it was worth getting up early today, just to see the 2 rapid-succession shocked looks on your face :)
But... don't thank nobody yet and don't get too happy yet, cause The Fat Lady ain't sung yet.

Please call your Senator. Please. Please.
Have your friends and neighbors call their Senator.
Next time you buy gas or a cup of coffee, ask the person at the register to call their Senator -- all the contact info is right here, print a few out and carry 'em with you wherever you go!

d_goddard

Don't get too happy yet, cause The Fat Lady ain't sung yet.

Please call your Senator. Please. Please.
Have your friends and neighbors call their Senator.
Next time you buy gas or a cup of coffee, ask the person at the register to call their Senator -- all the contact info is right here, print a few out and carry 'em with you wherever you go!

(yeah, I'm crossposting. So sue me)