• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanM

Quote from: Ruger Mason on April 27, 2006, 09:23 AM NHFT
Quote from: Ron Helwig on April 27, 2006, 09:05 AM NHFT
Why would anyone want to enter a federal building?

To mail a letter at the post office, enjoy a national park...

In fact, the REAL ID is far more vague:
(a) Minimum Standards for Federal Use-

(1) IN GENERAL- Beginning 3 years after the date of the enactment of this Act, a Federal agency may not accept, for any official purpose, a driver's license or identification card issued by a State to any person unless the State is meeting the requirements of this section.

(2) STATE CERTIFICATIONS- The Secretary shall determine whether a State is meeting the requirements of this section based on certifications made by the State to the Secretary of Transportation. Such certifications shall be made at such times and in such manner as the Secretary of Transportation, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, may prescribe by regulation.

Full Text: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c109:3:./temp/~c109ribskD:e46432:

The non-REAL ID card may not be accepted for "official federal use", as defined by the DHS.  Post offices, national parks, federal court houses, IRS audits, use of Interstate and Federally funded highways, enrolling your child in a public school that receives federal money.  The more you think about it, the scarrier it gets.

Just more reasons to oppose Real-ID

Ruger Mason

Quote from: Jon Maltz on April 27, 2006, 09:27 AM NHFT

I've never had to show an ID to enter my post office . . .  I would read that to be anywhere currently asking for ID to enter.  Since you don't need ID at the airport now, they'd have to make a new law to force you to show ID.

You must show your ID to pick up a certified letter.

In any case, once REAL ID is established, I expect many new ID requirements to appear, especially if New Hampshire stands alone and DHS decides to play hardball.

ken

Quote from: Ruger Mason on April 27, 2006, 09:53 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jon Maltz on April 27, 2006, 09:27 AM NHFT

I've never had to show an ID to enter my post office . . .  I would read that to be anywhere currently asking for ID to enter.  Since you don't need ID at the airport now, they'd have to make a new law to force you to show ID.

You must show your ID to pick up a certified letter.

In any case, once REAL ID is established, I expect many new ID requirements to appear, especially if New Hampshire stands alone and DHS decides to play hardball.

It seems to me like this can work against the feds too. The vast majority of people who work in federal buildings that are located in NH also live in NH. And if they live in NH then they won?t have ID, thus they won?t be employable, thus all the federal agencies would have to close shop. Or am I missing something? It seems to me like the feds are going to have back down, at least to a point, if this passes.

Tom Sawyer

Burned the midnight oil and got a video together from the event.

A little rough, would have liked to had more time. The page will need to have text and links added (when I catch back up on everything else). If anyone feels like writing a synposis of the rally and the coalition that made it happen, that would be great.

Have at it and let us know how folks reaction to it... certainly a different tone then the Concord media coverage. ;D

http://www.politicalgraffiti.com/no_national_id

Fluff and Stuff

Now if someone that knows how can put that on google video we can start using it on our myspace pages :)

Kat Kanning

YeahItsMeJP

Kat Kanning

I've uploaded it.  It usually takes a while before they approve it.

FSPinNY

I deleted Quicktime because the viewable window is so small and it took over my file associations without my permission. A buddy of mine did the same thing.  Any other file type available?

Kat Kanning

I wound up not able to watch it.  Tried on two different computers and all I can see is white screen.  Guess I should have looked at it before uploading it.

Fluff and Stuff

It worked great and there is nothing wrong with quicktime.  It is funny to watch older and smarter people have computer problems while I don't have any :)

I loved the video.  Really good to end with the state rep.  Also, posting all of the websites was cool.  It could have started with text on the screen that says the time date location and that 200 people were there, though.

FSPinNY

Quote from: TN-FSP on April 27, 2006, 12:46 PM NHFT
It worked great and there is nothing wrong with quicktime.  It is funny to watch older and smarter people have computer problems while I don't have any :)

That's funny Keith, I feel the same way!  I had it loaded up for years and when called for, I watched the tiny 2" videos.  When I got my latest computer, they pissed me off by not asking me about file associations in the custom setup.  Delete.   ;D

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: katdillon on April 27, 2006, 12:39 PM NHFT
I wound up not able to watch it.  Tried on two different computers and all I can see is white screen.  Guess I should have looked at it before uploading it.

Sorry Kat... I think there is an issue because it doesn't load consistently for me off the webpage.
Sometimes fine sometimes whitescreen.

Kat Kanning

It may be OK on google...they have their own player.

Tom Sawyer

When it is loading if I get the whitescreen when I refresh it works right.
(Another one of the querkie things I got to figure out in this weird ass medium... All the different formats and they are new ones every year... what's a poor old editor to do?)

updates
Just thought if you right click the download button you can save the file and I think that might get around what ever gremlin the browser player etc. are doing.

When I check the site statistics it looks like most people are getting the whole file so I think that showes it is working in most cases (?)

Damn somebody tell me about what they saw... (I really wanted Kat to see it  :(  )