• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
But you'll never see the end of the road
While you're traveling with me

Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
We know they won't win

Now I'm towing my car, there's a hole in the roof
My possessions are causing me suspicion but there's no proof
In the paper today tales of war and of waste
But you turn right over to the T.V. page

Now I'm walking again to the beat of a drum
And I'm counting the steps to the door of your heart
Only shadows ahead barely clearing the roof
Get to know the feeling of liberation and relief

Hey now, hey now
Don't dream it's over
Hey now, hey now
When the world comes in
They come, they come
To build a wall between us
Don't ever let them win

d_goddard

Just got off the phone with Joel, who organized the rally at the State House the other weekend.
He definitely recommends people make it to the meeting:
Friday, May 5, 9:00 a.m. Rooms 210-211, LOB (Google map)

(I earlier misread the calendar, the meeting starts at 9AM)

If they know we are watching, it makes a difference!

aries

New Hampshire can accept RealID. I won't. I'll always keep my current license handy in my glove box, and my expired passport for ID.

My social security card is long gone...

Life is going to be hard thanks to this decision, but not too hard to make me lose my love for it or interest in it.
Perhaps if I meet Gatsas on the street one day in the future, I'll discuss this issue with him, before introducing his large nose to my right fist.

CNHT

Quote from: intergraph19 on May 04, 2006, 06:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on May 04, 2006, 06:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: freedominnh on May 04, 2006, 06:30 PM NHFT
This new bill will have to be accepted by House committee and be introduced in the House.  Fillibuster time.
Will it? I thought it would be enrolled shortly, seeing as it's impotent.

If it just establishes a committee, does it need house approval?

Yes, if they change the bill in any way it goes back to the house for a vote.  It goes back and forth until it is either voted down or agreed upon by both.

Yes there must be concurrence of both Houses, committe of conference, or the bill will die. At least the money will not be taken..

Howie assures me that "It ain't over yet!!!!!!!!"

aries

Quote from: d_goddard on May 04, 2006, 06:43 PM NHFT
Just got off the phone with Joel, who organized the rally at the State House the other weekend.
9:00 a.m. Rooms 210-211, LOB (Google map)

What day is that?

CNHT

Quote from: aries on May 04, 2006, 06:47 PM NHFT
Quote from: d_goddard on May 04, 2006, 06:43 PM NHFT
9:00 a.m. Rooms 210-211, LOB (Google map)

What day is that?

Tomorrow~! I am broadcasting this over and over again live right now.

aries

Quote from: CNHT on May 04, 2006, 06:49 PM NHFT
Tomorrow~! I am broadcasting this over and over again live right now.

I wish I could be there. I'll be there with you guys in spirit.

At least in this vote, I was represented. Gallus did concede that he had no negative feedback about this bill.

Ruger Mason

Quote from: CNHT on May 04, 2006, 06:46 PM NHFT
Yes there must be concurrence of both Houses, committe of conference, or the bill will die. At least the money will not be taken..

Actually, they can still take the money.  If the House doesn't concur, the bill will die.  One possible course of action with HB 1582 now is to have the House amend it by balancing out the study committee.  Currently the committee consists of:

2 Senators appointed by Gatsas
2 Representatives appointed by Scanlon
Commissioner of Safety
Emergancy Management Bureau head
Commisioner of DMV
Governor Lynch
State Treasurer
Bank Commissioner
Secretary of State
Attorney General
NH Police Chiefs Association
State Troopers Association
Professional Firefighters Association

If I wanted to create a committee to represent the interests of the police state, this is exaclty who I'd put on it.  Try to get the House to put the ACLU, NHCASPIAN and other groups on the committee.

Tunga

Quote from: aries on May 04, 2006, 06:46 PM NHFT
Life is going to be hard thanks to this decision, but not too hard to make me lose my love for it or interest in it.
Perhaps if I meet Gatsas on the street one day in the future, I'll discuss this issue with him, before introducing his large nose to my right fist.

Braincleaner needed on Aisle 4. Aisle 4 Brain clean for irrational thoughts.

aries

What's all the fuss with the Real ID Act about?
President Bush is expected to sign an $82 billion military spending bill soon that will, in part, create electronically readable, federally approved ID cards for Americans. The House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved the package--which includes the Real ID Act--on Thursday.

What does that mean for me?
Starting three years from now, if you live or work in the United States, you'll need a federally approved ID card to travel on an airplane, open a bank account, collect Social Security payments, or take advantage of nearly any government service. Practically speaking, your driver's license likely will have to be reissued to meet federal standards.

--
News.context
What's new:
The House of Representatives has approved an $82 billion military spending bill with an attachment that would mandate electronically readable ID cards for Americans. President Bush is expected to sign the bill.

Bottom line:
The Real ID Act would establish what amounts to a national identity card. State drivers' licenses and other such documents would have to meet federal ID standards established by the Department of Homeland Security.
--

The Real ID Act hands the Department of Homeland Security the power to set these standards and determine whether state drivers' licenses and other ID cards pass muster. Only ID cards approved by Homeland Security can be accepted "for any official purpose" by the feds.

How will I get one of these new ID cards?
You'll still get one through your state motor vehicle agency, and it will likely take the place of your drivers' license. But the identification process will be more rigorous.

For instance, you'll need to bring a "photo identity document," document your birth date and address, and show that your Social Security number is what you had claimed it to be. U.S. citizens will have to prove that status, and foreigners will have to show a valid visa.

State DMVs will have to verify that these identity documents are legitimate, digitize them and store them permanently. In addition, Social Security numbers must be verified with the Social Security Administration.

What's going to be stored on this ID card?
At a minimum: name, birth date, sex, ID number, a digital photograph, address, and a "common machine-readable technology"
that Homeland Security will decide on. The card must also sport "physical security features designed to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes."

Homeland Security is permitted to add additional requirements--such as a fingerprint or retinal scan--on top of those. We won't know for a while what these additional requirements will be.

Why did these ID requirements get attached to an "emergency" military spending bill?
Because it's difficult for politicians to vote against money that will go to the troops in Iraq and tsunami relief. The funds cover ammunition, weapons, tracked combat vehicles, aircraft, troop housing, death benefits, and so on.

The House already approved a standalone version of the Real ID Act in February, but by a relatively close margin of 261-161. It was expected to run into some trouble in the Senate. Now that it's part of an Iraq spending bill, senators won't want to vote against it.

What's the justification for this legislation anyway?
Its supporters say that the Real ID Act is necessary to hinder terrorists, and to follow the ID card recommendations that the 9/11 Commission made last year.

It will "hamper the ability of terrorist and criminal aliens to move freely throughout our society by requiring that all states require proof of lawful presence in the U.S. for their drivers' licenses to be accepted as identification for federal purposes such as boarding a commercial airplane, entering a federal building, or a nuclear power plant," Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, a Wisconsin Republican, said during the debate Thursday.

You said the ID card will be electronically readable. What does that mean?
The Real ID Act says federally accepted ID cards must be "machine readable," and lets Homeland Security determine the details. That could end up being a magnetic strip, enhanced bar code, or radio frequency identification (RFID) chips.

In the past, Homeland Security has indicated it likes the concept of RFID chips. The State Department is already going to be embedding RFID devices in passports, and Homeland Security wants to issue RFID-outfitted IDs to foreign visitors who enter the country at the Mexican and Canadian borders. The agency plans to start a yearlong test of the technology in July at checkpoints in Arizona, New York and Washington state.

Will state DMVs share this information?
Yes. In exchange for federal cash, states must agree to link up their databases. Specifically, the Real ID Act says it hopes to "provide electronic access by a state to information contained in the motor vehicle databases of all other states."

Is this legislation a done deal?
Pretty much. The House of Representatives approved the package on Thursday by a vote of 368-58. Only three of the "nay" votes were Republicans; the rest were Democrats. The Senate is scheduled to vote on it next week and is expected to approve it as well.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan has told reporters "the president supports" the standalone Real ID Act, and the Bush administration has come out with an official endorsement. As far back as July 2002, the Bush administration has been talking about assisting "the states in crafting solutions to curtail the future abuse of drivers' licenses by terrorist organizations."

Who were the three Republicans who voted against it?
Reps. Howard Coble of North Carolina, John Duncan of Tennessee, and Ron Paul of Texas.

Paul has warned that the Real ID Act "establishes a national ID card" and "gives authority to the Secretary of Homeland Security to unilaterally add requirements as he sees fit."

Is this a national ID card?
It depends on whom you ask. Barry Steinhardt, director of the American Civil Liberties Union's technology and liberty program, says: "It's going to result in everyone, from the 7-Eleven store to the bank and airlines, demanding to see the ID card. They're going to scan it in. They're going to have all the data on it from the front of the card...It's going to be not just a national ID card but a national database."

At the moment, state driver's licenses aren't easy for bars, banks, airlines and so on to swipe through card readers because they're not uniform; some may have barcodes but no magnetic stripes, for instance, and some may lack both. Steinhardt predicts the federalized IDs will be a gold mine for government agencies and marketers. Also, he notes that the Supreme Court ruled last year that police can demand to see ID from law-abiding U.S. citizens.

Will it be challenged in court?
Maybe. "We're exploring whether there are any litigation possibilities here," says the ACLU's Steinhardt.

One possible legal argument would challenge any requirement for a photograph on the ID card as a violation of religious freedom. A second would argue that the legislation imposes costs on states without properly reimbursing them.

When does it take effect?
The Real ID Act takes effect "three years after the date of the enactment" of the legislation. So if the Senate and Bush give it the thumbs-up this month, its effective date would be sometime in May 2008.

FROM: http://news.com.com/FAQ+How+Real+ID+will+affect+you/2100-1028_3-5697111.html
ref
http://www.epic.org/privacy/id_cards/
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d109:h.r.00418:

aries

Quote from: Tunga on May 04, 2006, 06:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on May 04, 2006, 06:46 PM NHFT

Braincleaner needed on Aisle 4. Aisle 4 Brain clean for irrational thoughts.
I can rationalize all of my thoughts :)

aries

I would like to see the federal government's power to coerce the states into accepting unconstitutional demands by witholding federal tax dollars as a punishment for failure to enact federal legislation explored by a court.

aries

Hopefully every single one of them feels this come back and bite them.

And hopefully, all of the nine experience good fortune. Especially Gallus. He was with us on the smoking ban, on the self-defense bill, on this... Plus, he has a cool moustache.

d_goddard

Quote from: aries on May 04, 2006, 07:40 PM NHFT
And hopefully, all of the nine experience good fortune. Especially Gallus. He was with us on the smoking ban, on the self-defense bill, on this... Plus, he has a cool moustache.
He also was the lone Republican in favor of drug legalization.
Gallus is da man!

aries

Quote from: d_goddard on May 04, 2006, 07:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: aries on May 04, 2006, 07:40 PM NHFT
He also was the lone Republican in favor of drug legalization.
Gallus is da man!

Wow! I never knew he was so libertarian. I mean, in his votes.
Many more prosperous years for Gallus! We can never always agree but he seems like a good politician!