• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Had a hell of a day...

I could tell you about the bad stuff, but that wouldn't be any fun.

Met Traveler, and other good folks. It was a beautiful day, talked to nice people, including a lengthy talk with a State Trooper who was very nice.

Got interviewed by a reporter from the Concord Monitor. Found out that the powers that be were aware of the video from the rally and it worried them some. >:D

John

This AIN'T over folks.  Hold fast!  Stay the path.

Yes, Evil came here today.  But Evil is UNABLE to extinguish the fire of Liberty.  It is only when good men do nothing that Evil wins.

Hold fast & stay the path!  We have many years of much BS to cut through - and we will.

Several of us witnessed this prosses for the first time this week.  (It is a very disturbing specticle.)  Some of us will continue to take this battle to the street.

This week we did both - together - and support grew.  Not as much as we had wished, but if you were here, you saw Liberty nearly overtake statism on this isssue.  It was an up-hill battle from the start, and we nearly pushed it over the top.  Hold fast!  Continue to push.  No one said it would be easy.

The tide is turning my freinds.  Make no mistake about that.  The tide is turning toward Liberty!

Stay the path!

Rocketman

Amen to that, John.  Our movement is growing and becoming more potent.  The statists really had to scramble to get past this hurdle, and we'll keep making the hurdles larger, and larger, and larger. 

The rhetoric really did boil down to liberty vs. statism today.  Liberty did not win but it gained a lot of ground -- we are becoming a force and they damn well know it.

YeahItsMeJP

It's time for an Article 10 Coalition

:)

traveler

traveler

In the gallery,a man came up to me and Roger and asked what will happen if the bill fails.We sent him to Jenn.I notice that he gave her a card that said appellate litigator on it.Maybe,we can tie them up in legal paperwork.It seems to work well for  the big corporations......then,there is always article 10 ;).

tracysaboe

Why do we talk about this like this is a victory?

Even if this bill DOES pass, all we're proving is that we're getting better at stopping or slowing down the spread of statism.

It will be the day when our bills for repealing bad bills start to pass, and our bills for REAL tax cuts come to pass, and our bills to cut cops and other government workers from the being paid w/ our money, and our bills to repeal regulations that we'll actually start making some forward progress.

Not that slowing down or stopping the backwards progress isn't a good thing -- IT IS.  If the NH government simply stays the same size (Nominally -- none of this allowing it to increase w/ inflation or population nonsense.) we'll have won in the long run. 

But compliment yourselves for what really going on. Compliment yourselves on (or, hopefully not, almost) protecting yourselves and your (soon to be my) state from further government expansion and abuse.

Then you'll have the words (they won't be overused) for complimenting yourselves when we DO actually start dissembling the state.

We've still got a long way to go.  :-\ This is going to be a long war. Keep your heads in the game.

Tracy

P.S. Forgive me for my pessimism. But these shenanagans that I'm seeing by the NH Senate on this issue depress me.

d_goddard

This will be a little long, even though I edited it down a few times.
I put a lot of thought into the following; as such, I'd appreciate it if you can read it carefully.
Maybe even read it twice. And take 15 minutes to reflect before responding. ;)

A few sobering thoughts on yesterday

• HB 1582 did in fact pass. Yes, it passed as an amended version. But it was not summarily killed. That was also a possibilty; we watched many good biils (like HCR 25) get killed yesterday. Think about that.
  • We truly have no idea how much pressure was applied from the Republican Party in Washington. Yet one Republican Senator, Gallus, stood up to it. This man deserves our full support (and then some) when the time comes.
  • The other Republicans weaseled their way out of making a decision yesterday, by voting for the Amended bill. So the real question is, who introduced that Amendment?
  • These Republicans preserved our Liberties -- against massive lobbying and "80% of the public" -- on the Smoking Ban issue. If the Democrats had their way, 1177 would have passed with no problem. Think about that. It would be self-defeating to punish every single Republican for this vote.
  • Per the above points, one or two Republican Senators are the "Bad Guys" here. Gatsas did everything he could to beat this. I was not in the gallery and so am not 100% sure of this, but if Barnes introduced the amendment, he's Bad Guy #2. Our ire should be for these two, the real guys who gutted 1582, not everyone else who followed them. They were the enablers.
  • This ain't over yet. The Senate deferred the real decision. This just means we have to be patient and have the staying power to fight longer.

Action Plan

• Make sure we have someone in every single relevant committee meeting (such as this morning's)
  • Make sure the House passes the amended bill, and gets the right people on the study committee
  • Make sure the study committee has lots of people testify to dispel the Fed's fear tactics
  • Make sure the committee recommends NH opt out of Federal Real-ID

As such... I don't think the time is yet for full-on CD.
In fact, I think it would be hugely counterproductive; it would make the committee - that will now be formed, only if the House approves the amended bill - think that the people supporting 1582 are acting on pure emotion, not on a rational analysis of the facts.
The committee gives its final report in November.

Do you believe in this strongly enough to work the process for 7 months?
Ted Gatsas and Judd Gregg think we don't... they calculate that Real-ID will come to pass, because we don't.
But I know different!

aries

Quote from: KBCraig on May 04, 2006, 09:25 PM NHFT
Wow... I can't leave NH unsupervised for a second. I went to the store, then cooked supper, and come back to find five pages of all-hell-broke-loose!

The 6-0 OTP vote disguised some serious machiavellian manipulation. My head is still spinning from reading the play-by-play.

Gatsas is a snake.

Gallus is earning my respect more and more. I'm about to send him a thank you note. I'm glad he's representing my future district.

Kevin

He's also the majority whip, which is somewhat powerful at least.

aries

Quote from: burnthebeautiful on May 04, 2006, 11:05 PM NHFT
I don't know what to say... I feel like I just experienced one of lifes defining moments, one of the bad kinds. I feel this is one of those moments where I'll look back and think "this is where it all started to go downhill". Obviously it started to go downhill a long time ago, but this is definately a checkpoint...

I've found that analogies only confuse life. There's no hill here, this is just one battle lost.

The best part is, win or lose, none of us have to get a RealID. Win or lose any of these battles, life goes on.

aries

Denis -

Sen. Barnes Floor Amendment{2177}(New Title) RC 14Y-9N, AA
So Barnes moved to amend and change the title (likely to something like "Establishing a committee to explore the possibility of New Hampshire's withdrawl from the federal ID system.")

Lucky for me, Gallus is the one that I get to vote yes or no for, and so far his vote has been the best of the senate, on all the issues I'm following and emailing him about.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: CNHT on May 04, 2006, 09:44 PM NHFT
I will not only not vote for Gregg, Bass or Bradley or Roberge ever again, I will be the first to go to jail for not complying with the Real ID act.
They can put me in jail! (Heck I have no  other way of getting a vacation and no one will miss me! )
We will not forget you in there or let anyone else forget.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: d_goddard on May 05, 2006, 04:48 AM NHFT
In fact, I think it would be hugely counterproductive; it would make the committee - that will now be formed, only if the House approves the amended bill - think that the people supporting 1582 are acting on pure emotion, not on a rational analysis of the facts.

If the government in their actions now, then we should stand up to them. There is no issue of "timing" of civil disobedience as far as I see. It doesn't have to be public or for the benefit of this committee or the senate. You just have to stand up to them like Fredrick Douglass said.

The good news is that NH has already stood up to the Feds more than other states. We as people can do the rest. :)

Do you ever feel like you are on a huge government created treadmill, like a gerbil in a cage? Then jump off and instantly the frustration levels go down.

president

one or two Republican Senators are the "Bad Guys" here.

Good one. I bet you voted for Bush in 2004.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: russellkanning on May 05, 2006, 05:59 AM NHFT

If the government in their actions now, then we should stand up to them. There is no issue of "timing" of civil disobedience as far as I see. It doesn't have to be public or for the benefit of this committee or the senate. You just have to stand up to them like Fredrick Douglass said.

The good news is that NH has already stood up to the Feds more than other states. We as people can do the rest. :)

Do you ever feel like you are on a huge government created treadmill, like a gerbil in a cage? Then jump off and instantly the frustration levels go down.

Amen brother Russell...

The 2 party see-saw just whittles our freedoms as it tilts back and forth.

Yesterday it was the Democrats who stood and spoke of the police state... it was their SSN that started the process.

We will be told that we really should wait until the implimentation of Real ID in 2008 to do anything. We shouldn't alienate our friends in the Fascist Republican Party. Well today they are the biggest threat to freedom that our country has ever seen.
When the next election cycle comes around our choice will be Hitler or Stalin.

As someone that has worked for and been owned by the government I said to hell with the liberty murdering bastards along time ago.

What was I doing... Oh yeah, living my life as unfettered as possible. Almost got sucked into the vortex...