• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Real ID, HB 1582

Started by Dave Ridley, March 24, 2006, 03:05 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

aries

Also, for the record, here is the new iteration of 1582, as "amended" (read: rewritten) by the senate

QuoteSTATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Six

AN ACT establishing a commission to study the REAL ID Act of 2005, Public Law 109-13.

Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:

1 Commission Established. There is established a commission to study the REAL ID Act of 2005, Public Law 109-13.

2 Membership and Compensation.

I. The members of the commission shall be as follows:

(a) Two members of the senate, appointed by the president of the senate.

(b) Two members of the house of representatives, appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.

(c) The commissioner of safety, or designee.

(d) The director of the division of emergency services, communications and management, department of safety, or designee.

(e) The director of motor vehicles, department of safety, or designee.

(f) The governor, or designee.

(g) The state treasurer, or designee.

(h) The bank commissioner, or designee.

(i) The secretary of state, or designee.

(j) The attorney general, or designee.

(k) A member of the New Hampshire Association of Chiefs of Police, appointed by that organization.

(l) A member of the New Hampshire Police Association, appointed by that organization.

(m) A member of the New Hampshire State Troopers Association, appointed by that organization.

(n) A member of the Professional Firefighters of New Hampshire - International Association of Firefighters, appointed by that organization.

II. Legislative members of the commission shall receive mileage at the legislative rate when attending to the duties of the commission.

3 Duties. The commission shall examine the state implications of adopting the REAL ID Act of 2005, including the requirements of the federal legislation, compliance deadlines, and federal funding opportunities. The commission shall assess the cost and benefit of New Hampshire's participation or nonparticipation in the national identification card system established by the Act.

4 Chairperson; Quorum. The members of the study commission shall elect a chairperson from among the members. The first meeting of the commission shall be called by the first-named senate member. The first meeting of the commission shall be held within 45 days of the effective date of this section. Nine members of the commission shall constitute a quorum.

5 Report. The commission shall report its findings and any recommendations for proposed legislation to the president of the senate, the speaker of the house of representatives, the senate clerk, the house clerk, the governor, and the state library on or before November 1, 2006.

6 Effective Date. This act shall take effect upon its passage.

CNHT

Quote from: aries on May 05, 2006, 05:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: Pat McCotter on May 05, 2006, 04:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Ruger Mason on May 05, 2006, 10:05 AM NHFT
Word on the street is that yesterday, Rep. Kurk successfully added the full language of the original HB 1582 to another bill, SB 399.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=1d871af7-4eae-4a0c-96a5-d84c240ebfe4

HEY EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

Did you read what Ruger had to say?
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2006/SB0399.html
Clause 5
5 Prohibition Against Participation in National Identification System. The general court finds that the public policy established by Congress in the Real ID Act of 2005, Public Law 109-13, is contrary and repugnant to Articles 1 through 10 of the New Hampshire constitution as well as Amendments 4 though 10 of the Constitution for the United States of America. Therefore, the state of New Hampshire shall not participate in a national identification card system; nor shall the department of safety amend the procedures for applying for a driver?s license under RSA 263 or an identification card under RSA 260:21.

holy crap!

passed both house and senate!

AN ACT relative to the powers of state government in the event of an incident or outbreak of communicable disease and prohibiting New Hampshire from participating in a national identification card system.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Hmm where are you reading this and if 399 is passed then we don't have to worry about 1582?

Ruger Mason

The Senate must still approve of the amended SB 399.

aries

Quote from: CNHT on May 05, 2006, 05:39 PM NHFT
Hmm where are you reading this and if 399 is passed then we don't have to worry about 1582?

http://gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/billstatus/default.asp

Put SB399 in bill number.

We better still worry about 1582, and lobby that committee. If the committee reports negatively, it could end up repealing or amending 399 after enactment, to allow NH to participate. This is going to take some serious constant vigilance.

aries

Quote from: Ruger Mason on May 05, 2006, 05:53 PM NHFT
The Senate must still approve of the amended SB 399.
It will be a lot harder for the big-gov people to say no to this, and a lot easier for the people who "went with the flow" against their conscience to say yes to this.

aries

Notice how Gatsas repeatedly avoided openly expressing disapproval or refusal of the terms of 1582, he just made it obvious through his actions.

When this bill meets the senate again, he will have to openly motion to remove the house amendment, or have one of his lackeys do it.

Pat McCotter

SB399 was amended in the House by Rep Kurk. It passed as amended. It will go on to conference committee.

HB1582 was amended in the Senate by Sen Barnes. It passed as amended. It will go on to conference committee.

Republidog

It is a LOT easier to stop a bad law before it is passed than it is to get it repealed.

When corrupt politicians refuse to serve the oath they took, then sometimes public outcry gets results. I know that everyone from liberals to conservatives does not like the REAL ID.

Now is the time to get out there and lobby the public. Newspapers play a key role, cable access plays a key role, influential locals play a key role.

We're taking flak in this battle- that just means we're over the target people!

We can still win this and the new amended bill shows we still have some support.

I really don't like SB399 because it is obviously feeding into bird flu/terrorism paranoia, but if such a beast passes then by all means let's use their own strategies against them by attaching our language to this "must pass" bill.

The committee recommendation to "review" the REAL ID reads like a who's who of new world order police state. If I wanted to pass REAL ID, that's who I'd want. It will of course be a "big surprise" when they recommend NH accept the ID.

All it will take is some small terrorist or criminal act that the government will then use as a pretext for things like REAL ID acceptance. Let's hope no such crime happens.

John

Those who pass this "Real Id" can burn in Hell.
I will not.

John

Barnes: "I'm very happy that our government is doing this. I'll give some of my rights up: . . ."

Barnes is not only a turn-coat old fool, he is also rude.
Barnes was repetedly told (by his own "leader") to speak from behind his chair but, insisted upon yelling into Sen. Burling's ear, from directly behind Burling - and within inches.  (we have pictures.)

Barnes is also the one who - in committee - talked of "a family of 5" going to "Disney Word" needing to get  5 passports- as if 5-year-olds needed IDs. Maybe with folks like Barnes and our other "small-government" Republicans in charge they will.

Don't blame Mass. people if the state is turning Blue.  Just look at these boys in our own senate.  Our own Republicans can not be trusted!

d_goddard

Pat,
You are always on the ball, have high-quality information, and are willing to share.
Thanks for being there!

d_goddard

Quote from: Republidog on May 05, 2006, 09:59 PM NHFT
I really don't like SB399 because it is obviously feeding into bird flu/terrorism paranoia

Quite to the contrary....
My understanding (which could be totally wrong) is that, since the State of NH would be apportioning responsibility for these things to itself, we would be putting ourselves in a position to refuse FEMA in the event of an emergency.

You remember FEMA... the Federal Agency that "helped" so well in the wake of Katrina...

aries

399 is mostly harmless because it won't likely be necessary, and if it is, you can bet it will be ignored. But it is still something that no politican wants to hinder - "Represenatitve X went out of his way last campaign to hinder the passage of a direly needed bill to help NH citizens and the precious children in case of emergency."

If the US Congress can slip BAD laws in through unchecked amendments, maybe we can do the same for GOOD laws.
I think at least a few other laws in NH history have been smuggled through, mostly bad ones, though.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: d_goddard on May 06, 2006, 06:03 AM NHFT
Pat,
You are always on the ball, have high-quality information, and are willing to share.
Thanks for being there!

Thanks, but I was just trying to get Ruger Mason's information through the noise that followed it.

Kat Kanning

The sweet John Connell wanted this pic posted:

"Why is he looking at Roger like that?"